Fiddling about with stocks, funds, etc. No conspiracy theories, please.

1,136 posts in this topic

UK FTSE down nearly 3%... 33 billion pounds wiped out this morning... 

From what I read, this new virus strain is probably nothing to be alarmed. In the next few days we will know for sure. Worst case would be the vaccine is not effective, which would set us back half a year.

In the meantime, stocks will drop and its Xmas buying time!

On 18.12.2020, 18:15:55, Gambatte said:

Comdirect costs more.

I'm slightly put off by TR working only via Smartphone, I like using the PC as well.

How do you like Trade Republic?

I like it, and plan to continue with it, as it is very user friendly, and as you said low cost. But you can't always find the ETF/Share that you are looking for. Vast majority of ETFs are from Ishares, and unlike DeGiro, you can not buy any share traded at any stock exchange.

I talked to an investment banker this year about ETFs, but she is not a big fan of it since you also invest in bad industries at the moment like airline, steel and oil. She, therefore, suggested mixed funds in certain industries.

1 hour ago, LukeSkywalker said:

I talked to an investment banker this year about ETFs, but she is not a big fan of it since you also invest in bad industries at the moment like airline, steel and oil. She, therefore, suggested mixed funds in certain industries.

airlines and most certainly steel have a brilliant future so if they’re cheap right now the more the better. Oil will go the way of the dodo, some corporations in the industry will reinvent themselves others will be surpassed. But that’s the beauty of owning a whole-market index: it’s self pruning, watch the inclusion of tesla in the SP500 to the detriment of Apartment investment.

You can sleep and relax knowing that in 30 years your investment is still relevant and almost, almost certainly worth a lot more than now. In fact, if this is not a case we’ll have more serious things to worry about than investment performance.

4 hours ago, LukeSkywalker said:

bad industries at the moment like airline, steel and oil.

ETFs don't concern "the moment" but are for long term investment with low charges...no wonder investment bankers don't like them!

9 hours ago, MikeMelga said:

From what I read, this new virus strain is probably nothing to be alarmed.

if you ask me it's the UK government's attempt to find a scapegoat for their mismanagement of the covid pandemic

For those investing in Pfizer due to the Vacine, dont forget they produce Preperation H too....    

Just sayin..

On 12/8/2020, 9:54:25, mtbiking said:

The vast majority of professional  investors fail to beat the market on the medium-long term. 10% return per year is plenty, don’t be greedy. If you own a piece of just about every major listed corporation on earth you can ignore even major market swings with magnanimity and cash in those returns. Your big mistake was to panic and sell instead of.. doing nothing. 

So true! And Cost Average Effect. 

I am a professional independent insurance broker and authorised advertiser. Contact me.

I have 7 ETF's. Lowest earning +12.47%. Then, +26.42, +29.85% ,+36.98% ,76.56%, 76.94% and 125.41%.

I bought Pfizer before the vaccine on Aug 20 and Nov. 5. Up 2.75%.

Pfffffft!

1 minute ago, SpiderPig said:

For those investing in Pfizer due to the Vacine, dont forget they produce Preperation H too...    

Just sayin..

and pre-preparation V

iagra

How about investing in "Disposable syringe" companies ?

On 07.12.2020 23:02:28, mtbiking said:

1) Open an online depot at an inexpensive but reputable bank like for example onvista.

2) transfer there the €€

3) buy €10,000 worth of an FTSE or MSCI world ETF from a solid corporation, see vanguard or blackrock ishares.

4) forget about it for 20 or 30 years

5) really forget about it!

6) profit!

With regards to action #3, how would it be,if you get in with a savings plan of 100-150€/month and wait for the crash, and then make an all-in with the remaining amount at that time?

You'll be alerted when the markets hit rock bottom, a man runs out and rings a bell.