Fiddling about with stocks, funds, etc. No conspiracy theories, please.

911 posts in this topic

49 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

Looks like I'm going to have to start drinking early again today.

I’m working at home today with one wife, two children and a couple of beers. Cheers 🥂

1 hour ago, mtbiking said:

Good luck, I plan to reduce my work load in the next years (in fact already started, have just asked for one extra vacation next year, 36 days in total) and be progressively readier to retire. 

My plan is to achieve enough for a comfortable retirement back to Portugal before 50. I will keep working, but I will take 1 year off to sail. At least cruise the mediterranean, but perhaps also an Atlantic crossing or at least a trip to Madeira or Azores.

And then I can pick either a low stress, low paid job or just work less hours and dedicate myself to hobbies.

21 minutes ago, MikeMelga said:

My plan is to achieve enough for a comfortable retirement back to Portugal before 50. I will keep working, but I will take 1 year off to sail. At least cruise the mediterranean, but perhaps also an Atlantic crossing or at least a trip to Madeira or Azores.

And then I can pick either a low stress, low paid job or just work less hours and dedicate myself to hobbies.

we should go sailing together 👍. My ‘problem’ is the children. Selling our house (downsizing), traveling one year, etc are all unpractical things to do with two children or young teenagers at home. Once they are finished with school, though, everything goes, that’s something me and my wife agree on. Have you factored that in your plans?

if we didn’t have children we basically could retire now. We actually discussed the topic 10 years ago.. and decided to have them. No regrets, just a different life path.

I'm way past child rearing age. HImself retired at 63 about 5 yrs. ago. We live on our boat for 4 months each year. We have loads of friends in our marina in Slovenia. No touring this year. I'm about over touring myself. I prefer day sailing, spending some nights out on anchor and socializing. I've seen almost every island/marina in Croatia and have no desire to tour in Italy. Coastline not so beautiful.

We do see many families sailing and touring. Wouldn't be for me. Two people per ship, I say.

No reason you can't retire to Portugal, work a bit and sail. We are jealous of all the Slovenians who drive one hour and are on their boats. They come a lot.

OK, enough distraction. ;)

1 minute ago, fraufruit said:

I'm way past child rearing age. HImself retired at 63 about 5 yrs. ago. We live on our boat for 4 months each year. We have loads of friends in our marina in Slovenia. No touring this year. I'm about over touring myself. I prefer day sailing, spending some nights out on anchor and socializing. I've seen almost every island/marina in Croatia and have no desire to tour in Italy. Coastline not so beautiful.

We do see many families sailing and touring. Wouldn't be for me. Two people per ship, I say.

No reason you can't retire to Portugal, work a bit and sail. We are jealous of all the Slovenians who drive one hour and are on their boats. They come a lot.

OK, enough distraction. ;)

today is a good day for distractions though ;) 

Children need school and friends of their age. 

DAX-darling and heavyweight SAP fell more than 20% on a single day after their forecast was lowered. The next day, co-founder Plattner bought shares for €250 million. He has the cash, I guess.

1 minute ago, LukeSkywalker said:

DAX-darling and heavyweight SAP fell more than 20% on a single day after their forecast was lowered. The next day, co-founder Plattner bought shares for €250 million. He has the cash, I guess.

much more serious and trustworthy than the Wirecard asshole CEO who sold all his shares just before they hit rock bottom.

2 hours ago, mtbiking said:

we should go sailing together 👍. My ‘problem’ is the children. Selling our house (downsizing), traveling one year, etc are all unpractical things to do with two children or young teenagers at home. Once they are finished with school, though, everything goes, that’s something me and my wife agree on. Have you factored that in your plans?

if we didn’t have children we basically could retire now. We actually discussed the topic 10 years ago.. and decided to have them. No regrets, just a different life path.

The earliest we could do this would be when our son is around 13. Our idea is to buy a second hand 40-42ft with no more than 10 years. Spend a couple of months testing it and preparing stuff. Then use all summer to cruise with the kid across the med. Kid flies back for school and we sail 1 more month or so, before leaving it for the winter. Next year take advantage of school holidays and sail 2-4 weeks at a time. Summer do an atlantic crossing or Azores.

After that either sell the boat and buy a smaller one or continue sailing.

Of course if we can manage remote learning, we would just live on the boat for most of the year.

For some reason thought you had two children now :) Kudos that you and your have have managed to agree on that plan. I don’t think it would be for my wife though, and with two children and school (and the teenaged children’s own opinion about the whole matter, not to be underestimated) it’s hard for me to imagine it. The rest is ok: financial independence, work less or doing whatever I personally feel is the most rewarding and travel. I’ll be 53 when my youngest turns 18.

did plan on finishing at 60, but my company is offering a deal to leave at 58 - not sure they would let me take it thou

lots of travel for me, managed 82 days hols/flexit last year  - will be better with 365 days to go at

But probably not in Munich :(

For some reason thought you had two children now :) Kudos that you and your have have managed to agree on that plan. I don’t think it would be for my wife though,

I just need to show my wife a cruising video and she´s convinced. I suspect I will not be able to be healthy enough to do this at 60, so I would rather do it at 50. One of the regrets I have is to only start sailing at the age of 30. Our son started this year on optimist at the age of 7.  He loved it, despite a small accident with very strong winds.

and with two children and school (and the teenaged children’s own opinion about the whole matter, not to be underestimated) it’s hard for me to imagine it. The rest is ok: financial independence, work less or doing whatever I personally feel is the most rewarding and travel. I’ll be 53 when my youngest turns 18.

One thing i realized when I came to Germany is that kids don´t have to follow a strict school calendar. My son started school later than he would have in Portugal. College degrees also take much more time here, not to mention travelling around before going to college. I have zero problems if my kid skips one year, what is he rushing to? If we can find a legal framework for him to skip school /remote learning for a year, we will do it. The problem is that he has too many girlfriends already... on his own words "I have 12 girlfriends, but some have abandoned me... :("

Himself bought a 38 ft. used boat when he turned 60 in anticipation of retirement. Took him 2 or 3 yrs. to get her fixed up like he wanted. He did almost all of the work. We have 3 cabins, use one for storage and sleep in the other two. Of course, I have the biggest one as he had the biggest one on our former boat.

If you buy a stainless screw/bold at Obi, etc., it is a stainless screw/bolt. If you order it through a yacht magazine or buy it in a skipper shop, it is a yacht screw and costs 5 times as much. This rule goes for most boat items. Of course you have to buy toilets, etc. for boats only. I'm quite certain that you can install your own solar panels/system.

When we were younger, we dreamed about sailing to Greece and in the Med. As we got older, not so much. After you get caught in a few 50 knot wind storms, you lower your expectations and become wiser. He had also shown me cruising videos sans storms and 3 meter seas. Have you shown her those - reality?

Holy hell, I'm down 2.40% today.

11 hours ago, fraufruit said:

When we were younger, we dreamed about sailing to Greece and in the Med. As we got older, not so much. After you get caught in a few 50 knot wind storms, you lower your expectations and become wiser. He had also shown me cruising videos sans storms and 3 meter seas. Have you shown her those - reality?

We learned to sail in the Atlantic. It´s rare to have less than 1.5 meter waves. We´ve been once in 3.5 meter seas with our small 25ft and a few times around 3 meters. Over 3 meters on a 25ft is too much and becomes dangerous. We can manage our 25ft upwind up to 25kn apparent wind without reefing, so we manage it well. We also had an old engine that would constantly fail, so we got experts in docking only with main sail.

On a 40ft I´ve been several times above 3 meters, no big issues. I´ve been once on 4.5 meter waves for 3h and that was definitely not nice, but it was doable. I never caught 50kn of true wind, but I´ve sailed upwind with 35kn true wind and downwind with 40kn, still no big issues. A friend was caught in 6 meter waves for 18h on a 42ft and almost everyone pucked.

BTW, my wife does not get seasick, never.

We also got 40kn on a 35ft in Greece and as the waves were below 2 meters it was perfectly fine, although we saw much bigger boats having problems. Of course in all these situations you need to manually steer. Auto steer on this non professional level simply does not work with big waves or fast shifting winds.

One thing I want is to replace the diesel by an electric motor and make a hybrid sailboat. The diesel is not reliable, requires a lot of maintenance and expertise. Right now you can rig an electric motor, a battery for 30-60 minutes of operation and a generator for long trips. This is clearly the future and one thing that my wife hates is handling diesel/petrol engines. I also want a modern boat, most likely a Jeanneau. Fast, good for cruising, and already well equiped.

15 hours ago, MikeMelga said:

Summer do an atlantic crossing or Azores.

After that either sell the boat and buy a smaller one or continue sailing.

Please don't try to cross the Atlantic in the summer.

Hurricane season is 1st June to 30th November. 

(I crossed twice in 2019 and twice in 2018)

Best time is to use the "Christmas Winds" and leave Europe in January.

Also, take lots of fuel (battery power) if you want to visit the Azores.

The Azores high pressure zone is well known - and causes a calm all around.

Often spend a day or two motoring just to make the first landfall.

Close in and between the islands, there is, however, plenty of wind.

19 minutes ago, HH_Sailor said:

Please don't try to cross the Atlantic in the summer.

Hurricane season is 1st June to 30th November. 

(I crossed twice in 2019 and twice in 2018)

Best time is to use the "Christmas Winds" and leave Europe in January.

Thanks! I haven´t started looking at atlantic crossing yet, I know you have to play with trade winds, but no details. Would probably join ARC cruise.

19 minutes ago, HH_Sailor said:

Also, take lots of fuel (battery power) if you want to visit the Azores.

The Azores high pressure zone is well known - and causes a calm all around.

Often spend a day or two motoring just to make the first landfall.

Close in and between the islands, there is, however, plenty of wind.

I have several friends who did it and they usually take enough fuel for at least motoring half the trip, like in an event of demasting.

I´ve been reading that for very long crossings you can actually save on fuel weight by having the electric motor, a battery and some different ways to charge the battery: diesel generator, solar panels, and the motor working as a generator using the currents.

I had a good blabber with my broker last night. He talked me down from the ceiling and then, lo and behold, the markets got a little back.

I talked to him about Tesla. He said if I wanted to buy some that he'd have to open a speculation account for me. He hasn't bought any for any of his clients. I thought that was interesting.

Anyway, going to hang on to my cash for now. He thinks the volatility will be around for a while. Oh, and he told me that I'm not spending enough money. :lol:

59 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

I talked to him about Tesla. He said if I wanted to buy some that he'd have to open a speculation account for me. He hasn't bought any for any of his clients. I thought that was interesting.

You just have give them time to grow into their valuation. Like a century or so.