Fiddling about with stocks, funds, etc. No conspiracy theories, please.

795 posts in this topic

Can someone give me an idea of how much of your savings you invest in the stock market?

Need to sort my retirement finances out...left it too long :unsure:

Thanks!

15 minutes ago, dom said:

Can someone give me an idea of how much of your savings you invest in the stock market?

Thanks!

I have 25% of my savings invested in the stock market.

1 hour ago, dom said:

Thanks!

Right now I´m only investing with profits from the stock market. The original investment was around 5-7%, i.e. play money. If you consider the current valuation, it is about 25% of my savings. But I doubt Im a good reference...

Ladies and gentleman, as I´ve said 2 months ago, the mini crash/correction seems to be upon us (although I expected it sooner). I have no idea if we are at the bottom, but things will move fast these days.

S&P is down 5% from last week and 8% from pre-corona. A big crisis is a dip above 20%. A record crisis is above 30%, like Corona in March.

My guess the bottom is when S&P goes down between 10-15% in the next weeks.

This is not uniform and at the moment it is hitting harder some tech companies, but those were also the ones who gained more since March.

I started to buy small quantities today, then review every day.

46 minutes ago, MikeMelga said:

Ladies and gentleman, as I´ve said 2 months ago, the mini crash/correction seems to be upon us (although I expected it sooner). I have no idea if we are at the bottom, but things will move fast these days.

S&P is down 5% from last week and 8% from pre-corona. A big crisis is a dip above 20%. A record crisis is above 30%, like Corona in March.

My guess the bottom is when S&P goes down between 10-15% in the next weeks.

This is not uniform and at the moment it is hitting harder some tech companies, but those were also the ones who gained more since March.

I started to buy small quantities today, then review every day.

I hope you're right, as we keep on automatically investing a substancial amount of our earnings every second week and I like to buy cheap. Otherwise, I'm not going to do much besides waiting unless valuations get so low (30% loss) as to be irresistable, and then I'll throw some extra money at it if wife is on board. We're currently around 75% invested in the stock market when counting only with our financial assets, significantly less overall as the bulk of what we have is in rental properties.

My portfolio consists of 14% cash and the rest in investments. So that is all of my personal savings.

Got a report from my guy today that pretty much explains what has happened this year -

• US stocks sold off on Tuesday as the S&P 500 declined 2.8% to close at 3,332. Even with Tuesday’s sell-off, the index is still up 3.1% year to date.

• Tuesday’s decline marks the third straight session of losses for the S&P 500. This three-day losing streak comes after a two-week stretch in markets that saw the S&P 500 close higher in nine of 10 sessions, with the index also setting nine record highs over that period. Given the extent of enthusiasm in markets during that stretch, some consolidation was likely due and perhaps this has been resolved with a now three-day, 6.95% correction in the S&P 500, which rivals the largest sell-off the index has experienced since the March lows (mid-June sell-off saw the index decline 7.1%). As has been the case in recent sessions, outsized weakness in Technology shares appeared to weigh on the broader market; the S&P Technology sector was down more than 4% on the session.

• All 11 of the S&P 500 sectors were lower, with Utilities (-0.6%) and Real Estate (-1.3%) outperforming the broader market, while Energy (-3.7%) and Information Technology (-4.6%) lagged.

• Rates were lower across the curve, with the 10-year Treasury rate falling to 0.68% as of the 4 p.m. equity market close. Gold declined modestly to $1,929 per ounce, while WTI oil moved sharply lower to below $37 per barrel; the US dollar strengthened modestly in the trading session, as measured by the US Dollar Index.

Well, yesterday Japan reported a drop in GDP of 28% on an annual basis. They will not recover from that any time soon. India's GDP fell 23% and South Africa plummeted even 51%. More bad news yet to come.

As I´ve said before, there was no underlying economical problem for this crisis. As soon as Corona gets under control, economy will go up very, very fast, as central banks flooded the market with cheap money.

But things can go worst before improving. All depends how things evolve in US. My best guess is that lockdown will start to ease up globally in Q2 2021, but potentially Q1.

Stockmarkets will react much earlier, as soon as a good vaccine gets approved or fatality rate drops due to new treatments.

Thanks for your input! I have about 16% of savings in ETFs so I see there's room for improvement!

I fully agree with Mike's post above!

I have about 25 % in the market

With around 10% in property

Rest in Cash

Have sold a lot I bought in April/March

At the moment I am looking to but some more shares. But as ever fear and greed - define what I will buy.

Mikes current timeline seems fair, but I think full recovery will take longer in some sectors, ie airlines will be depressed at least another year, and if another lock-down occurs, a lot are going to go bust, without government help.

I might get tempted by some tech stocks, but I think they are over rated now, with PE's over 20.

So how is everyone doing these days. I'm about to hit my all time high from Aug. 31.

Sorta wish I hadn't sold Regeneron, though, even though I made 99% profit.

For Mike - my brother bought a Tesla Y. :D He loves it. Put a charger at his home and at his mountain house.

So, rocky ride right now. How is everyone doing? I’m holding tight and proceeding as usual, but I sold two days ago my shares in airbus that I had bought in April (22%profit, immerhin). Lufthansa is only flying 80 machines, like in.. 1970 😬.

I’m going to have lots of jobless colleagues soon if this continues. At least I’m not in the civilian side of the industry.

By selling my airbus shares I got some thousand €€ liquid which I’ll invest in a world or SP500 etf when the correction/crash runs it’s course.

Got hit really hard yesterday. Can't figure out what happened to Nextera - down 75%. I looked for news articles to no avail. Will look again today. Yep, everything in the red yesterday. I wish this damn election would be over now and some corona aid coming in the U.S. 

13 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

Got hit really hard yesterday. Can't figure out what happened to Nextera - down 75%. I looked for news articles to no avail. Will look again today. Yep, everything in the red yesterday. I wish this damn election would be over now and some corona aid coming in the U.S. 

Stock split 1:4, relax.

Ive been making a bit on Airbus 

Noticed, they are up and down 10 % over 5 or 6 days, done it 3 times so far.

Get the feeling, with all the Corona stuff, that we are looking at another big dive soon.

2 hours ago, mtbiking said:

So, rocky ride right now. How is everyone doing? I’m holding tight and proceeding as usual, but I sold two days ago my shares in airbus that I had bought in April (22%profit, immerhin). Lufthansa is only flying 80 machines, like in.. 1970 😬.

Still holding on Tesla, probably for 5 more years. My guess is a maximum 600% valuation within 10 years. This is my gold retirement ticket, before reaching 50.

keep on dip in and out of tesla

made 1000 euro  on em, 2 weeks ago

Will buy again , if they drop below 330 - 335, and the rest of the market stable

1 hour ago, yesterday said:

Ive been making a bit on Airbus 

Noticed, they are up and down 10 % over 5 or 6 days, done it 3 times so far.

Get the feeling, with all the Corona stuff, that we are looking at another big dive soon.

Airbus, Rolls Royce etc. are in a lot of trouble and I won’t be buying again anytime soon. Even if private flights return to something like pre-Corona levels business traveling will not, at least not in the next years. 

54 minutes ago, MikeMelga said:

Still holding on Tesla, probably for 5 more years. My guess is a maximum 600% valuation within 10 years. This is my gold retirement ticket, before reaching 50.

good luck, I plan to reduce my work load in the next years (in fact already started, have just asked for one extra vacation next year, 36 days in total) and be progressively readier to retire.