Fiddling about with stocks, funds, etc. No conspiracy theories, please.

812 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, RenegadeFurther said:

Will stick with ETF`s now.

I dislike ETFs mainly for 2 reasons: 1. You can´t buy them at a discount to NAV and 2. You will participate in any flash crash and downturn even if there is no fundamental reason. Therefore, I prefer managed funds, especially those trading at discounts (which you can check e. g. at https://cefdata.com/ or https://www.cefconnect.com). Sometimes discounts to NAV can be as high as 20% so they compensate for the management fees quite well.

2 hours ago, jeba said:

I dislike ETFs mainly for 2 reasons: 1. You can´t buy them at a discount to NAV and 2. You will participate in any flash crash and downturn even if there is no fundamental reason. Therefore, I prefer managed funds, especially those trading at discounts (which you can check e. g. at https://cefdata.com/ or https://www.cefconnect.com). Sometimes discounts to NAV can be as high as 20% so they compensate for the management fees quite well.

Ok but managed fund is normally out performed by an ETF/Tracker and you pay very little to run them

https://smallcaps.com.au/why-an-index-fund-is-so-hard-to-beat/

1 hour ago, yesterday said:

Ok but managed fund is normally out performed by an ETF/Tracker and you pay very little to run them

https://smallcaps.com.au/why-an-index-fund-is-so-hard-to-beat/

I know, but you can check a fund´s historic performance before you buy and compare to whatever ETF you want to compare it to. There are CEF managers who outperfom their benchmarks.

10 hours ago, jeba said:

I know, but you can check a fund´s historic performance before you buy and compare to whatever ETF you want to compare it to. There are CEF managers who outperfom their benchmarks.

Is it not wise to have both managed funds and ETFs?

16 minutes ago, dom said:

Is it not wise to have both managed funds and ETFs?

I don´t know. I just don´t like the ETF-related risks I mentioned above. The more widespread computerised trading becomes the bigger the risk of a flash crash, I think.

I also lost a lot in Wirecard. I used to work there few years ago and now my wife is working there and she will probably lose her job. The whole thing just blew up within matter of days before anyone could do anything. I still have 250 WD stocks with me and only ray of hope is, if someone buys it.

I am pissed of that because of one person (MB) everyone is suffering now.

sorry, that you lost money 

But the FT was reporting bad things about Wirecard last year, its just taken a while - before beleive it and taken action on it

It seems that Wirecard shares are still being traded for ~1.9€/share.

What happens, if i buy some now?

1 hour ago, jeba said:

I don´t know. I just don´t like the ETF-related risks I mentioned above. The more widespread computerised trading becomes the bigger the risk of a flash crash, I think.

I read a few years ago that despite automatic trading represents over 70% of volume, it only represents 10% of value. IMO we should add a at least 1 minute delay to each order and kill that industry. It is not necessary for the economy.

1 hour ago, fraufruit said:

If you don't like the risks, don't buy.

That's exactly what I'm doing.

1 hour ago, TurMech said:

It seems that Wirecard shares are still being traded for ~1.9€/share.

What happens, if i buy some now?

you’d be buying a bit of an insolvent, bankrupt company. There are smarter ways of speculating and definitely much smarter ways of investing. But hey, I’m sure that more than a few speculators made money with Herz in the last days.. obviously more than a few lost money as well.

1 hour ago, jeba said:

That's exactly what I'm doing.

Why would I care about flash crashes if I own a physical assets based index Fond than owns bits of thousands of companies? Investing in Index Fonds is for the long term. In any case it’s irrelevant because:

- those managed Fonds mostly buy the indexes as well - for self protection if nothing else, as no manager wants to underperform the indexes.

-in the long term all of them have a very hard time beating the SP500, Dow Jones, etc, even before the extra costs are taken into consideration. Past performance has been proven irrelevant in that matter in study after study.

1 hour ago, BethAnnBitt said:

That‘s exactly what Warren Buffet and Peter Mallouk say.  

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/05/22/warren-buffett-most-people-shouldnt-pick-single-stocks.html

That's very true in normal times, where the stock market goes up almost every year, but in non-normal time, like corona times and maybe a long recovery time, maybe picking individual shares or funds, might out perform the S&P500, until normal times come back

Back to the wirecard issue and my major mess up.

So it looks like there are major battles ahead,shareholders v the board, the audit company etc.

Do I need to do anything to be able to get on the lawsuit against wirecard and the auditors?

I only lost 3k but if I can recoup something that would be a start.

1 hour ago, yesterday said:

That's very true in normal times, where the stock market goes up almost every year, but in non-normal time, like corona times and maybe a long recovery time, maybe picking individual shares or funds, might out perform the S&P500, until normal times come back

So how would YOU pick individual shares? Individual shares are for people with pocket money to spare and a who- gives- a- damn attitude if it goes tits up and „ hooray- I have made 10 per cent this year.. but next year?“ but if the aim is to save long term eg for a pension- then spread your chances/risks in eg mutual funds. Monthly is great to invest and make the most of the Cost Average Effect. Long term. 
And top up if you have loose change with one- off sums. It is nice to think „ ah, the price is low- I will buy more now. Or the price is high- I will sell some now.“

The problem- who REALLY knows if the price won‘t fall more or rise more? NOBODY.

It is NOT the timing that counts but the TIME IN.

I am a professional independent insurance broker and authorised advertiser. Contact me.

6 minutes ago, john g. said:

So how would YOU pick individual shares? Individual shares are for people with pocket money to spare and a who- gives- a- damn attitude if it goes tits up and „ hooray- I have made 10 per cent this year.. but next year?“ but if the aim is to save long term eg for a pension- then spread your chances/risks in eg mutual funds. Monthly is great to invest and make the most of the Cost Average Effect. Long term. 

I am a professional independent insurance broker and authorised advertiser. Contact me.

If I invest in a mutual fund I have to pay tax on the dividend. If I buy an individual stock of a company from a company headquartered in a country which doesn´t charge withholding tax (like e. g. the UK) I don´t. Guess what I prefer.

There are Freistellungsauftraege in Germany for that and  tax benefits if you invest in an investment-based pension eg Rürup.

Buying an individual stock can mean - huge success or total loss or something in the middle. If people sort out their pension first plus take care of their biometric risks eg income care- then they can breathe more easily and have „ fun „ with individual stocks. And risk total loss or enjoy good profits. It depends on the individual‘s mentality and situation.

54 minutes ago, RenegadeFurther said:

Back to the wirecard issue and my major mess up.

So it looks like there are major battles ahead,shareholders v the board, the audit company etc.

Do I need to do anything to be able to get on the lawsuit against wirecard and the auditors?

I only lost 3k but if I can recoup something that would be a start.

Follow the news and see if a class action might take place. Then join the queue and be ready to pay the lawyers‘s fees and be ready to wait years and maybe be prepared to pay more fees. You are small fry, Renegade....that is the reality.

I think there are still people queuing outside the banks in my part of Hamburg every week, protesting and trying to recoup their Lehmann Brothers losses... mostly old folk who listened to the banks and wanted a „ slice of the action.“