Fiddling about with stocks, funds, etc. No conspiracy theories, please.

397 posts in this topic

On 28/01/2019, 13:01:47, fraufruit said:

They are just waiting to see if Visa makes a counter offer. In any event, you are a winner!

And they have! Woohoo

On 1/4/2019, 1:21:37, theGman said:

So, I am a year in now and a little wiser...I think...maybe.

But ultimately I want to make sure I have more money in ETF's than stocks. A lot more. And I need to invest more. Starshollow again...time in the market is worth more than market timing. I plan to go from €10K invested to €30K invested by this time next year.

So that's my feelings of a first year. Obviously it's still small numbers and I will probably change my views by this time next year, but let's see. I am enjoying it so far...

Thanks for posting your lessons learnt Gman. I feel that I am in a similar boat. I have been reading up about investing and have a strategy that I want to put into place. I have been waiting on the sidelines a bit (as I think that there could be further drops in the market with Brexit and China trade issues). I put some money in gold in October, which is up 4%, with my bank but I think the fees seem to be expensive (1.5% fees on this transaction and when I sell it will be the same again). I want to take advantage of the dollar cost averaging and start a Sparplan with ETFs now and I am trying to do my due diligence and find the best way to do this at the lowest cost. The fees with my bank are; free account if one transaction per quarter is taken out, 0.25% plus Euro2.50 on transactions on ETFs in a sparplan (this is for every ETF that you invest into), and 0.25% plus Euro4.90 on transactions on ETFs in a one-off purchase situation. How does this compare with Comdirect?

9 hours ago, mswifte said:

Thanks for posting your lessons learnt Gman. I feel that I am in a similar boat. I have been reading up about investing and have a strategy that I want to put into place. I have been waiting on the sidelines a bit (as I think that there could be further drops in the market with Brexit and China trade issues). I put some money in gold in October, which is up 4%, with my bank but I think the fees seem to be expensive (1.5% fees on this transaction and when I sell it will be the same again). I want to take advantage of the dollar cost averaging and start a Sparplan with ETFs now and I am trying to do my due diligence and find the best way to do this at the lowest cost. The fees with my bank are; free account if one transaction per quarter is taken out, 0.25% plus Euro2.50 on transactions on ETFs in a sparplan (this is for every ETF that you invest into), and 0.25% plus Euro4.90 on transactions on ETFs in a one-off purchase situation. How does this compare with Comdirect?

Most of the info can be found here: comdirect.

It seems the conditions are very similar to what your bank is saying. As far as I know, comdirect is not the cheapest but, for me at least, it's been a very easy to use platform. It's given me the chance to play and learn. In a few years, once I am more confident then maybe I'll search for a more appropriate platform, but for now, I'm happy.

As I have written, I am also going more for Sparplan than one time purchases. I suffered (and gained) from the volatility of one-time purchases last year. For stocks, this will ultimately probably cost more. Stocks in a Sparplan cost 1.5%. Whereas a one time purchase will cost 0,25% + fees. But for me the difference is worth it.

The "+ fees" bit though is annoying. When buying (and selling) you can pick from a list of exchanges but you cannot see the fees upfront. I have found it impossible to tell what I will ultimately be paying. I have recently found a potential way around this though. Live trading. I need to look more into this but so far I have made a couple of sales for a flat fee of €3,90. Which is good.

Now to come to your situation. A Sparplan with Comdirect could be good for you here. They have offers on quite a lot of ETF's (and stocks and funds etc) which you can purchase for free on a Sparplan. I used JustETF to create a portfolio of 5 ETF's. I filtered my preferences by comdirect offers. So my 5 ETF sparplan is completely free. These are not guaranteed forever though. One of mine last year expired on this offer...but I just switched it for another similar one that was free.

Learned something new. I notice 6 shares of a strange stock on my account and in the activity, it was called a spin off. I asked my broker what that meant. It seems that a subsidiary of GE spun off and so I got some free shares of it. While we were talking, I got another spin off. A subsidiary of FMC separated itself from the company and I got 76 shares of it for free. 

Has anyone else ever gotten spin offs? This was my first time and it happened twice. 

I'll take it.

1 hour ago, fraufruit said:

Learned something new. I notice 6 shares of a strange stock on my account and in the activity, it was called a spin off. I asked my broker what that meant. It seems that a subsidiary of GE spun off and so I got some free shares of it. While we were talking, I got another spin off. A subsidiary of FMC separated itself from the company and I got 76 shares of it for free. 

Has anyone else ever gotten spin offs? This was my first time and it happened twice. 

I'll take it.

Yeah, I had that 1-2 years ago.

Took a bit of figuring that one out. New entry all on its own. Am I hacked (but in a good way?). The hell?

Also had something reinvent itself.

2 letters

1) We have sold all your XXX for [amount]

2) we have sold all your XXXv2.0 for [same amount]

Alright, sure.

1 minute ago, Maarsch said:

Also had something reinvent itself.

2 letters

1) We have sold all your XXX for [amount]

2) we have sold all your XXXv2.0 for [same amount]

What does this mean? Did you have sell orders in or did your broker do it unbeknownst to you?

I have 2 accounts where my broker does all the trading without needing to ask me.

I had stocks and then that company changed name and function.

New stocks were made of the company which used to be the company I had stocks in and stocks of that company were automatically bought by my broker.

I mean, the stocks just got exchanged. It's like between Google and Alphabet, the company, CEO and whatever remains the same but for some reason it was more complicated than just changing the name and so stocks got sold and new stocks got bought instead(The google -> Alphabet thing is probably a bad example).

On 15.3.2019, 16:33:04, fraufruit said:

Go Broadcom!!!

Up over 11% today.

Drop like a Rock Norwegian Air :P  Down over 5% today alone. Been shorting them off and on for quite a while now if it keeps up and I don't miscalculate, our Telsa model X is paid for shortly :)

On 15/03/2019, 16:33:04, fraufruit said:

Go Broadcom!!!

Up over 11% today.

Ouch, come back down a bit since. Still looking very nice over the long term though.

14 hours ago, LeCheese said:

Drop like a Rock Norwegian Air :P  Down over 5% today alone. Been shorting them off and on for quite a while now if it keeps up and I don't miscalculate, our Telsa model X is paid for shortly :)

Nice! Can't get much lower now though can it?? Have you been shorting for a while or just with Norwegian Air?

For me, my Earthport visa/mastercard battle is over. I could have sold at 400% at it's peak but I'll settle for just the 300% gain :)

Another one that did well for me last year is Eckert & Ziegler AG, but has been dropping again recently. I'm selling off my stocks now and sticking to ETF's. It was a fun year though.

16 minutes ago, theGman said:

Can't get much lower now though can it??

HSBC analyst's reckon it will get to 20

Analytikerne hos HSBC satt det nye kursmålet til 20 kroner, ned fra 46 kroner som banken tidligere har signalisert. De opprettholdt samtidig anbefalingen om å redusere aksjebeholdningen i selskapet.

18 minutes ago, theGman said:

Have you been shorting for a while or just with Norwegian Air?

Just Norwegian Air for quite a while now - started around here

19 minutes ago, theGman said:

For me, my Earthport visa/mastercard battle is over. I could have sold at 400% at it's peak but I'll settle for just the 300% gain :)

Excellent! Well done you ;)

Ha! Just logged into my account and wondered how I could be down so much just before the market opened. I forgot they already set their clocks forward.

My pulse is normal now.

I am getting ready to open an IRA in the US and am deciding between traditional and Roth. I think that since I don't earn income in the US then a traditional IRA is pointless because I can't use the contributions as a deduction. Is this right? So I think it's better to open a Roth, deposit money that's already been taxed and then get the tax benefit on withdrawal. What do you think?

Alternatively, if I at some point exceed the foreign income limit to avoid double taxation, can I reduce my gross income by contributing to a traditional IRA?

I'm not clear what you are asking. I can't have an IRA or Roth because I have no U.S. income. I do have a small inherited IRA but that is different.

As for your last question, I don't think so but I'm not a tax expert. Someone who knows much more than me will probably come along and advise. 

On 22.3.2019, 07:50:34, theGman said:

Have you been shorting for a while or just with Norwegian Air?

Dropping again, down 4.23% so far today :)

20 minutes ago, LeCheese said:

Dropping again, down 4.23% so far today :)

Not even picking up WOW leftovers is helping huh. It's good to make money but I hope Norwegian survives eventually though. Never good when a company goes under.

8 minutes ago, theGman said:

It's good to make money but I hope Norwegian survives eventually though. Never good when a company goes under.

I'm not a Norwegian fan, their service sux badly imo and their CEO Bjorn Kos, well, the less said about him the better.

Having said that, I'll continue to short when I think they are going Down and buy when I think they are going up. - 3.58% at the moment, I'm out for the day. Monday is another day ;)