Brexit: deal for UK citizens in Germany (update: Draft Withdrawal Agreement published)

87 posts in this topic

So there is agreement "in principle" that UK citizens (subjects, actually, but still...) will keep the right to stay after Brexit:

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/advice-for-british-nationals-travelling-and-living-in-europe

No mention from the UK of any contingency plan if we crash out with no deal at all.

What should we expect? Try and get a visa if we haven't got our German citizenship by then? What kind of visa would be appropriate?

How long have you been in Germany?  If it's 5 years or longer, you could apply for permanent residency.  If it's less, you would have to see about getting a work permit.  It's possible that 2-3 years in Germany may give you credit to get an open work permit with no employer listed.  

1 minute ago, LeonG said:

How long have you been in Germany?  If it's 5 years or longer, you could apply for permanent residency.  If it's less, you would have to see about getting a work permit.  It's possible that 2-3 years in Germany may give you credit to get an open work permit with no employer listed.  

Forget it Leon, this is Project Fear Part 2.  All brits (like me) are going to be rounded up and deported en mass, husbands and wives will be separated, its almost like the end of the world.  And anyone who says differently is clearly an idiot.

People seriously seem to believe this is going to happen.

10 minutes ago, zwiebelfisch said:

Forget it Leon, this is Project Fear Part 2.  All brits (like me) are going to be rounded up and deported en mass, husbands and wives will be separated, its almost like the end of the world.  And anyone who says differently is clearly an idiot.

People seriously seem to believe this is going to happen.

I think people some ppl are worrywarts and thinking about What If, worst scenario, how to prepare for the round up :)

Stop the drama. There are plenty of non-EU TT users living in Germany. The largest group of them come from the USA and Canada, two biggest non-EU English speaking countries. 

In the worst part (no agreement) you will be treated according to Aufenthaltsgesetz and will have to visit Ausländerbehörde. That is not so bad as it sounds.

Basically, if you live more than 5 years, you can apply for permanent residency and forget about it.

If you live less than 5 years but more than 2 years, you can apply for unrestricted job permit.

If you have a German spouse, you can apply for German spouse permit which gives you unrestricted job permit regardless of residence duration.

If you have higher education and a well paid job, you can apply for a Blue Card.

If neither applies, your residence permit will be tied to your current employer for the first 2 years. 

That is the worst case scenario. Don't panic.

However, I think, even in the worst case scenario the law will be updated by German Bundestag to give all Brits already living in Germany permanent residency. There is no reason to believe this won't happen.

2 minutes ago, RenegadeFurther said:

The worst case scenario is that we all have to quit our jobs and sit German exams.

Even worse... We will all have to become misserable fuckers... Start laughing at mrbean.. Wear hats and scarfs untill told not to on the Radio and watch Dinner for one every year!

We are Dooooomed!

7 minutes ago, SpiderPig said:

Even worse... We will all have to become misserable fuckers... Start laughing at mrbean.. Wear hats and scarfs untill told not to on the Radio and watch Dinner for one every year!

We are Dooooomed!

Even worse we could be asked to blow soap bubbles on random people at hbf's up and down the country.

15 hours ago, LeonG said:

Thanks for the practical answer. Much appreciated.

7 hours ago, yourkeau said:

Stop the drama. There are plenty of non-EU TT users living in Germany. The largest group of them come from the USA and Canada, two biggest non-EU English speaking countries. 

In the worst part (no agreement) you will be treated according to Aufenthaltsgesetz and will have to visit Ausländerbehörde. That is not so bad as it sounds.

Basically, if you live more than 5 years, you can apply for permanent residency and forget about it.

If you live less than 5 years but more than 2 years, you can apply for unrestricted job permit.

If you have a German spouse, you can apply for German spouse permit which gives you unrestricted job permit regardless of residence duration.

If you have higher education and a well paid job, you can apply for a Blue Card.

If neither applies, your residence permit will be tied to your current employer for the first 2 years. 

However, I think, even in the worst case scenario the law will be updated by German Bundestag to give all Brits already living in Germany permanent residency. There is no reason to believe this won't happen.

I wasn’t panicking, not sure why some others were able to read so much into a couple of lines of text.

thanks for the practical, solution oriented answer. I’m right on the edge of the residency period so just trying to weigh all options. I don’t have a “project”.

i do know others who won’t fall into any of the categories above so i am personally concerned for them, but that’s it.

7 hours ago, yourkeau said:

I think it would be really useful to compile all the “if... then...” options into a handy guide. With some links to verify and learn more practicalities. If anything that would be my “project”, just some practical steps to share with others in this situation.

On 19.1.2018, 17:18:58, zwiebelfisch said:

....  All brits (like me) are going to be rounded up and deported en mass, husbands and wives will be separated, its almost like the end of the world. ...

Ha, for you Tommy, ze residency iz over!

7 minutes ago, Oblomov said:

Ha, for you Tommy, ze residency iz over!

That was quite funny :D

1 hour ago, gaberlunzi said:

Turkey is not in the EU and they are taking over Germany. They have already 5 million people in Germany.

Erdogan has a different opinion. When Turkish Bundestagabgeordnete supported recognition of Armenian genocide he said they weren't Turks, they should take a DNA test.

The right wings have so simplified mentality that people of the same ethnicity should support the same party, and have the same political opinion. For example, Erdogan said that CDU, SPD, Greens are enemies of Turkish nation. Apparently, he encouraged Turks to vote for AfD. Did they follow him?

15 minutes ago, yourkeau said:

When Turkish Bundestagabgeordnete

On which chair are they are going to sit, the German or the Turkish one?

This is the trouble with dual citizenship. All is ok with it, until it isn't and a decision has to be made which side are you on.

Traditions are still binding the souls.

Gaberlunzi, since you were in a coma for the last 50 years, I remind you what happened in Germany in the meantime:

1. In 1960s Germany invited many Gastarbeiter from Turkey, Italy, Greece, Portugal, because there were no enough workers to work at Wirtschaftswunder.

2. They stayed and got some kind of permanent residency.

3. Their children became German citizens. They born in Germany and attended German schools. Some of them became German politicians.

This doesn't differ from your children, Germans born in Canada. I guess your children know very well about their chairs. 

The idea that Turks in Germany will follow whatever the dictator in Ankara tells them, is nonsense. Just like Bavarians living in Canada will not follow whatever CSU tells them.

2 hours ago, yourkeau said:

whatever CSU tells them.

I'm glad there are some smart people in Germany now. (who not listen to the CSU)

Whoever thought anyone would take this Turkey thingy serious??

Turkey is only important to leave the Black Sea access open, not much more.

Not really. It is a major player in Middle East. Despite of being a NATO member, it now plays against USA in Syria. Turkish ground forces have just entered the Kurdish area in North Syria.

10 hours ago, yourkeau said:

The idea that Turks in Germany will follow whatever the dictator in Ankara tells them, is nonsense.

Maybe not completely. I remember a recent TV poll and there were surprisingly many people of Turkish descent who seemed to have chosen the Turkish chair.