Landlord delays taking rent (direct debit)

8 posts in this topic

So our landlord (actually the giant property investment company that represents them) is a little slow in taking the usual direct debit that they've been drawing for literally years.

I was going to write a tentative email asking if everything's OK then stopped myself. Is this a good idea? I don't want them panicking and drawing it twice or something.

Anyone else experienced this? Is there any risk to just ignoring it (it's their problem after all, this was put in place years ago and they could have contacted me if there was a problem - which there isn't at my end)?

Any change in your bank info? Maybe you provided them the old Account/BLZ format many years ago and your bank stopped accepting it in that format and now only accepts IBAN?

While people will tell you the conversion was done automatically, it is not 100% true there were a couple of cases I had to do it manually.

If they have the wrong data it is your problem. If they have the correct data and there is money in the account it is their problem.

1 minute ago, Krieg said:

Any change in your bank info? Maybe you provided them the old Account/BLZ format many years ago and your bank stopped accepting it in that format and now only accepts IBAN?

While people will tell you the conversion was done automatically, it is not 100% true there were a couple of cases I had to do it manually.

If they have the wrong data it is your problem. If they have the correct data and there is money in the account it is their problem.

Not as far as I know! SEPA all the way...

Did any laws change at the beginning of this year? I know sometimes laws change, maybe contact your bank and ask them?

We always transferred the rent or created a direct debit with our bank directly. Normally all banking systems are automated. Basically the computer books it off automatically on a certain date every month.

I would call your bank first and ask. Then I would contact the company who is responsible for transferring the money.

Are they slow (late) or have they not taken it at all?

If they are just late, then they have probably just changed something or it could be a one off.  And I would not worry about it. 

If they have not taken any money then you need to keep an eye on this (and not spend the money!).  If this is the first time then I would not worry, but see what happens next month.   If they also don't take the money then I would contact them.

Yes, it might be their fault but in the end you are liable to pay them so it is good to be diligent but not push them too soon.  At the beginning of the year then things can change inside the company, or they might have problems, so I would wait and see what happens next month, and then even wait a couple of weeks.

I had a similar situation with my Daughters new Kindergarten.  They didn't take any money for the first couple of months, so we asked them and they were surprised that it hadn't been taken but admitted they had admin problems and would deal with it.  It still took another few weeks before they deducted any money.

First tell you bank (Just in case they asked for the money and something went wrong that end).

Then arrange with the bank an overdraft big enough to cover any 'panic' if your landlord debits the account twice.

Then tell your landlord.

If they panic and debit your account then you can always just reclaim it via the bank and sort it out afterwards.

Hi @sos-the-rope and everyone, I just wanted to ask if you encountered any problems giving Direct Debit Authorisation to your landlord / land company to take your monthly rent. I am transferring to another city and the apartment I am looking at provides the option of Direct Debit. I'm trying to weigh the pros and cons. Thank you!