Why do you invest in property??

176 posts in this topic

Just now, Smaug said:

I would be reluctant to let to someone elderly on a very tight income for the reasons you spell out. It could be impossible get rid of the tenant even if there's Eigenbedarf, or the landlord might be required to pay for the moving costs.

Same could go for someone who is disabled or has a disabled child.  They are often considered for hardship.  

Just now, Petro6golf said:

Gotcha good to know. I was a CSI in the states and have stuck my fingers in many a bullet hole looking for bullets, I should be able to figure out the removal of a pacemaker or a metal hip.

You could use a metal detector to check or just ask her now while she's still around.  

11 minutes ago, LeonG said:

Where I live they are not collected more frequently but I think dead bodies would definitely go in the green bin (bio waste) unless the person had been fitted with spare parts, then you'd possibly have to operate in order to put all the parts in the proper bins.

Yeah I know. Im like Toy Towns witty unhelpful comment maker lol. I promise if someone posts something I have knowledge in ill post a helpful reply. Until then im just going to make random dumb comments I find funny and callout people that post stupid shit.

1 minute ago, john g. said:

What´s really good? You never feel anyone is creeping up on you from behind to mug you...very safe feelings...

Errr... what are some places where youve gotten that creepy feeling ...?

300 days of sunshine sounds like paradise!!

I'm afraid my husband and I are way up the scale when it comes to handymen naivety. We'd totally get ripped off 😩

8 minutes ago, LeonG said:

You could use a metal detector to check or just ask her now while she's still around.  

"Guten Tag, when do you plan on dyeing? Im interested in illegally disposing of your body in the food waste bin and harvesting your metal parts for scrap". I doubt she would find it funny. But I would. 

Just now, udomin said:

Errr... what are some places where youve gotten that creepy feeling ...?

300 days of sunshine sounds like paradise!!

I'm afraid my husband and I are way up the scale when it comes to handymen naivety. We'd totally get ripped off 😩

Evening, udomin! Many cities around the world would be off my Christmas card list these days--many of them in Latin America and Asia ( where I spent many years previously earlier in life ) but I don´t think I´d feel safe in major European cities anymore either...a sign of my ageing, I presume...

8 minutes ago, Petro6golf said:

"Guten Tag, when do you plan on dyeing? Im interested in illegally disposing of your body in the food waste bin and harvesting your metal parts for scrap". I doubt she would find it funny. But I would. 

She might confuse that message with dying her hair?:lol:

What do you mean " illegally disposing of her body`"..someone has to do the dirty work!!!

PS: apologies if anyone on TT is actually feeling pain over the loss of a loved one right now.,...just trying to be light-hearted and having some banter...

9 minutes ago, Petro6golf said:

She's not dead yet so you have to show some tact.  You should make small talk like "Guten Tag, my grandmother has been advised to get a steel hip but she is worried.  Would you happen to know someone who has had any surgery similar to that?"  Old ppl love to talk about their health problems.  She'll give you a 2 hr. seminar.

7 minutes ago, LeonG said:

She's not dead yet so you have to show some tact.  You should make small talk like "Guten Tag, my grandmother has been advised to get a steel hip but she is worried.  Would you happen to know someone who has had any surgery similar to that?"  Old ppl love to talk about their health problems.  She'll give you a 2 hr. seminar.

Thats smart. Innocuous conversation. I like that. "I really love star trek. Data is my favorite character because he is an android. people with artificial parts are the closest thing we have to androids. Do you like androids?"

10 minutes ago, LeonG said:

According to the old homeowner who we inherited her from, shes super nosy and tells all the neighbors about everyones comings and goings. I going to create an artificial personality for her to tell our neighbors about. "yeah he like wears a shower cap 24/7 and is always talking about the apocalypse".

Just now, Petro6golf said:

Thats smart. Innocuous conversation. I like that. "I really love star trek. Data is my favorite character because he is an android. people with artificial parts are the closest thing we have to androids. Do you like androids?"

Very good.  I think you will do fine.  As for it being illegal, if you get caught, you should just say that you are very serious about the environment and recycling and that you thought all Germans felt that way too and obviously a body would go in the bio bin.  I think you'd get off scot free.

7 minutes ago, LeonG said:

Very good.  I think you will do fine.  As for it being illegal, if you get caught, you should just say that you are very serious about the environment and recycling and that you thought all Germans felt that way too and obviously a body would go in the bio bin.  I think you'd get off scot free.

I wont get caught. Im pretty sure I could dispose of a body and get away with it. If I do get caught ill just beg for forgiveness and admit wrong doing and they will let me off. The Germans are soft on crime. Even murderers get like 15 years. I saw a thing about a guy who built a car bomb and was going to drive it into the front gate at Ramstein. He only got like 5 years. Im pretty sure if I bury grandma in the forest ill get probation and a fine. 

In our village on Crete, there are loads of ruins (our office where I´m writing from has a ruin to the left and the right )  belonging to old people...and they won´t sell.." my grandson in Athens " ...the grandson and others won´t come back cos there´s no work here and no internet cafés and discos..just apathy...and the bottom of the mountain we live under  : tough on the legs if you´re 80 and have to go uphill to the mini-market and the baker´s...let alone the 3 tavernas...

9 minutes ago, Petro6golf said:

I wont get caught. Im pretty sure I could dispose of a body and get away with it. If I do get caught ill just beg for forgiveness and admit wrong doing and they will let me off. The Germans are soft on crime. Even murderers get like 15 years. I saw a thing about a guy who built a car bomb and was going to drive it into the front gate at Ramstein. He only got like 5 years. Im pretty sure if I bury grandma in the forest ill get probation and a fine. 

Our local ruins would work..no worries!!!:lol:..haven´t checked lately...I leave that to the cats!!

5 minutes ago, john g. said:

In our village on Crete, there are loads of ruins (our office where I´m writing from has a ruin to the left and the right )  belonging to old people...and they won´t sell.." my grandson in Athens " ...the grandson and others won´t come back cos there´s no work here and no internet cafés and discos..just apathy...and the bottom of the mountain we live under  : tough on the legs if you´re 80 and have to go uphill to the mini-market and the baker´s...let alone the 3 tavernas...

Yes but going to the bakers and the mini-market and the 3 tavernas is what keeps them in shape.  

True, Leon!!! But they fall asleep in the tavernas!!!! At least they then stop talking about potatoes!!! (rural area here ):D

View this morning: you can spot the snow!!!

IMG_8825.JPG

I'm going to have to ask around a bit about what to do when a renter dies in the apartment you rented them. I'm sure my MIL has info about 'der Ulrich' an older guy that died in one of her rentals. She calls his leftover chunk of a sideboard that just doesn't fit anywhere (people manage to hit their hip or leg on the tough edge when rounding the corner) in my husband's office, 'the legeacy from Ulrich' along with some bad looking curtains.

But your renter can die at any age, so, maybe we should really look into this. 

Thinking of the 30-something, anorexic looking renter of three years now, who, looking all unkept and defensive declares he's 'just smoking a shesha.' Whatcha think he's got all fired up in that thing? Well, no harm in a little second hand kiff smoke seeping under the door and into the hallway for the rest of us. My cat seems to luv it. However, he does at times leave the stove on and burn the food in the pot but so far has not incinerated the house or himself, thanks to the fire alarm. He is actually the 'better' renter, as a young Harz IV guy, he signed that automatic deposit form and his rent comes right from the AGA before he can kiff/sniff it away. His diet seems to be suffering though. A tune that reminds me of this wise guy: Blaze of Glory by The Alarm 

Ok, here's what you do if your renter dies:

1. call the police

2. expect the coroner to pay a visit

3. call the rental agreement toast

4. go to the funeral if you want/haven't seen or heard from friends or relatives of the deceased renter to ask if they want anything from the apartment before you

5. take any stuff you want /donate the renter's stuff to a local charity shop

6. renovate, air the place, and put that 'for rent' sign up again