Why do you invest in property??

176 posts in this topic

15 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

(Unfortunately, neither one of my sons chose to go to university. More for us^_^)

We use(d) carrots

If they go to Uni ( and don't drop out ) each gets a lump sum to "start" them off in the "Real" world. They also get generous allowances during Uni.

If you can afford it, it works / worked for us.

.One is just finishing in Tromso, another in Scotland ( Edinburgh )

One did not go to Uni and is making cheese halfway up a mountain in Switzerland.( she got a lump sum anyway to start her off ) and is doing really well with her partner.

Our kids call it Mutti`s Bribery plain and simple. :P

4 minutes ago, mtbiking said:

Yeah, one of us could stop working. But our current plan is to work normally for the next 10-12 years, invest the extra money along the way and then reduce the work hours drastically, or at least be able to. 

Sounds like a sensible plan. If the investments do not work out as well as you hope, the other could return to the job market. If they plan works out, more the better.. Good luck!

Ours had a similar carrot offer.

Some of my friends made their kids pay for the first semester and then, when the kid passed and did well, they refunded the money which was then spent on the second semester, rinse and repeat. They did better when they had some skin in the game.

1 minute ago, fraufruit said:

They did better when they had some skin in the game.

Oh absolutely, one had the extra carrot of an E-Golf if they got top marks each year and is quite happily zipping around in it today.

8 hours ago, mtbiking said:

I'd be curious to know if any of you early retirees have children. We are slightly under 40 and could more or less retire now and live simply as we've accumulated a lot of wealth in the last 10-15 years of work. With two small children in the household  it is out of question, though.

We have three small children, therefore retiring early is out of question, earliest is perhaps in 30 years! 

That’s also the reason why I’ve been actively building a nest egg. You want to make sure that everyone is taken care of. 

8 hours ago, mtbiking said:

I'd be curious to know if any of you early retirees have children. We are slightly under 40 and could more or less retire now and live simply as we've accumulated a lot of wealth in the last 10-15 years of work. With two small children in the household  it is out of question, though.

Im 33 and dont really have to work again. Ive got a 3 year old if that helps. Id be bored as hell everyday sitting around the house though. 

On 1/22/2018, 10:11:41, Petro6golf said:

Im 33 and dont really have to work again. Ive got a 3 year old if that helps. Id be bored as hell everyday sitting around the house though. 

:P

I had a day a few decades ago when I decided not to work again...it extended to about 7 years! Fun seeing penguins and sea lions...and mountains and lakes and getting wrecked..then the little one came along...!!!

12 hours ago, john g. said:

:P

I had a day a few decades ago when I decided not to work again...it extended to about 7 years! Fun seeing penguins and sea lions...and mountains and lakes and getting wrecked..then the little one came along...!!!

Its kind of boring honestly. In the usa I was super busy. Here i need to stay busy. I go to school and have my hobbies. Still looking for work just to find something. Cant hurt to have more money I guess. 

On 1/21/2018, 12:27:20, KimKim said:

The day i retire is the day i will die.

What do you do all day long when you retire?

Tend to the garden? hobbies? reading?

Also- the word "Retirement" is quite problematic. 

I like the idea of not *having* to work, but with my profession i *want* to work.

i like working very much, i love it

If you are your own boss, then probably it is easier to have that mentality. As a freelancer you can decide the workload you take on. Cheers to you, but make sure you save enough for when you are forced to retire as someone else said.

In any case I've never understood people that say 'I will work until I die' . Really? I mean really? you are going to stay at work in your 70s? 80s? 90s? Puhhleeez... I don't see too many people working in this country beyond 65. Maybe a Makler.. a Notar.. or some other low-pressure work that just streams in because the demand is always there. I have relatives like that, they rake it in... but they are boring people with not much interests other than making money, so I guess they would be bored in retirement.

There are plenty of things I would do if I could retire now. I would tinker around on data science projects, write some fun articles, coding some video games,  try making things with 3-d printers, learn to cook some more difficult dishes, attend college courses on topics I missed out on, start a marine aquarium, travel a little bit more on the cheap, do some art projects, read more books, attend some conferences, etc etc... I mean, there is so much out there - how little imagination do you have to have if you will be bored in retirement? It boggles the mind really..

Now I don't subscribe to the other extreme either, where people save every cent and wait until 65 to really start living. That's also not right, because you never know when your time will come. It's just a balance you have to strike to maximize your life under the constraints of your own fortune. Everything in moderation - including moderation! 

That reminds me a clip from Queen of Versailles docu, at the 3:56 minute mark where she describes how she realized she didn't want to work in a cubicle until she retired:

Crazy story, btw.

8 hours ago, wien4ever said:

In any case I've never understood people that say 'I will work until I die' . Really? I mean really? you are going to stay at work in your 70s? 80s? 90s? Puhhleeez... I don't see too many people working in this country beyond 65. Maybe a Makler.. a Notar.. or some other low-pressure work that just streams in because the demand is always there.

My father was a carpenter and he worked as long as he physically could.  He stopped at 78.  I think he enjoyed it.  The last few years he was only working part time though.  I could see myself working past retirement age if I had the opportunity.

I know quite a number of people who have working (are working) up into their 80's as they loved(d) what they do ... personally I am doing a work I love and could imagine doing it way past 65 and if I am healthy and well I would want to do that. Why 'retire' when you love what you do? Especially if you still make the time to do all things you love additionally anyways?  I assume if you have a work/job you are not that into or feel it limits other things you wish to do then sure retirement can be a good fit. Personally I have focused on creating a life I enjoy now :P

On 1/21/2018, 11:24:14, Tim Hortons Man said:

I've got two short books coming out shortly, one 75 tips for landlords and other a guide to renting in Germany, both will be 99 cent books on Amazon. The main book about 6 weeks after that. 

@Tim Hortons Man could you post links to your books here? Thanks

Just now, Tim Hortons Man said:

Will do, just sent them off to have the formatting done!

- are they in English or German?

On 1/24/2018, 8:24:08, wien4ever said:

If you are your own boss, then probably it is easier to have that mentality. As a freelancer you can decide the workload you take on. Cheers to you, but make sure you save enough for when you are forced to retire as someone else said.

In any case I've never understood people that say 'I will work until I die' . Really? I mean really? you are going to stay at work in your 70s? 80s? 90s? Puhhleeez... I don't see too many people working in this country beyond 65. Maybe a Makler.. a Notar.. or some other low-pressure work that just streams in because the demand is always there. I have relatives like that, they rake it in... but they are boring people with not much interests other than making money, so I guess they would be bored in retirement.

There are plenty of things I would do if I could retire now. I would tinker around on data science projects, write some fun articles, coding some video games,  try making things with 3-d printers, learn to cook some more difficult dishes, attend college courses on topics I missed out on, start a marine aquarium, travel a little bit more on the cheap, do some art projects, read more books, attend some conferences, etc etc... I mean, there is so much out there - how little imagination do you have to have if you will be bored in retirement? It boggles the mind really..

Now I don't subscribe to the other extreme either, where people save every cent and wait until 65 to really start living. That's also not right, because you never know when your time will come. It's just a balance you have to strike to maximize your life under the constraints of your own fortune. Everything in moderation - including moderation! 

Was listening to How I Built this with Guy Raz the other day. It was a live show featuring Arthurr Blank the co-founder of Home Depot a billionaire many times over. What was so unusual was his decision at 58 to retire, the second was what his daughter said about him. She said he was always there. Attended all the school plays, did the teacher parent conferences etc. He said that work never took precedence over family. Very unusual to say the least!

Oh and the other surprise, guy is funny as hell, Great speaker!