Legal insurance advice/recommendations?

26 posts in this topic

Starting this topic because searching here and the most relevant/recent threads are older than 5+ years.

I'm looking for advice on getting rechtsschutzversicherung here in Berlin. (Suffice to say I have my reasons why I would like to have this insurance, the discussion of which is not the point of this post)

I'm a bit overwhelmed because I've looked around and cannot find any reliable way of telling if a particular service is good or not. The reviews on Check24 are not helpful because many either one sentence replies or sound either made up or written by idiots. Google reviews aren't very helpful either, and I've read plenty of contradicting information. 

Additionally, I really need to find an insurance company with English speaking reps. My German is alright, but I'm not comfortable trying to understand legalese German. Even my partner who is a native German speaker gets extremely frustrated and overwhelmed trying to parse legalese auf Deutsch. 

If I have an issue, I am going to have to be the one to call their help hotline, I can't put this on my partner, so it's important that I am able to understand what they advise me to do. Furthermore, I'm trying to find a place with either bilingual lawyers or freie anwaltswahl so I can find a bilingual lawyer here in Berlin. 

Does anyone on TT have any recommendations or advice? I've heard a lot of anecdotal stories of people who had rechtzschultzversicherung and either they refused to cover a particular case or canceled the person's coverage immediately after a claim. It's quite daunting and a lot of places sound like trash that just take your money and don't actually protect you when it counts. 

5 minutes ago, DustinJSanders said:

Additionally, I really need to find an insurance company with English speaking reps. My German is alright, but I'm not comfortable trying to understand legalese German. Even my partner who is a native German speaker gets extremely frustrated and overwhelmed trying to parse legalese auf Deutsch. 

Sorry to say but I don't think you will find anything in English!

You pointed out that your native speaking partner struggles with the language in this area, but is it really different in any other language? 

Legal text is always very complicated for native speakers unless you are trained in law (and even then it can be very difficult).  One of the reasons is that it always open to interpretation which is why there are judges to rule on such issues. 

As such, I don't think that you will find any such company offering services in English.  The best you could do, is to ask them to suggest a lawyer who speaks English.  But even then, there would be a massive caveat that any discussions/text in English would not be binding and just for informational purposes. 

I've had ARAG for years and the only time I had a problem, they refused coverage.  I said ok, maybe just a coincidence but then a friend had them too and they refused to cover his case as well, even two cases I think.  He had both private and business.  As a result he cancelled his insurance and I thought about it a little too long because I still paid up for this year before cancelling mine as well.  I'm probably not going to bother get a new one.

My friend used to have Advocard before and he said they actually did cover a lot although they eventually cancelled his insurance because they felt he was using it a bit too much.

is the issue you want customer service support in English or your trying to find out if a particular company is any good?

either way I'd contact one of the insurance agents here, they cam make recommendations and if you need to make a claim they can help you.

5 minutes ago, Tim Hortons Man said:

is the issue you want customer service support in English or your trying to find out if a particular company is any good?

Both. 

I can contact the insurance agents on the site, but I was also trying to get an idea from other people here who might have used the insurance before to find out if a particular company actually helped them out. From looking around, I very much get the feeling that a lot of these companies just take your money and then refuse to cover your case. 

3 hours ago, prophet60091 said:

From looking around, I very much get the feeling that a lot of these companies just take your money and then refuse to cover your case. 

I think that is kind of the business model of insurance companies world wide :)

AS suggested, contact one of the experts who advertise on TT- finance forum. ( Starshollow. john g). They are always very obliging with advice.

Having a native German speaker as partner is  a reason to use them to call and talk to amts, Krankenkasse, Telekom,  etc. Make sure partner realises this!! 

Whatever reason you need to take this insurance, you do realise that they do not cover existing problems/issues?

On 1/15/2018, 11:10:04, prophet60091 said:

Starting this topic because searching here and the most relevant/recent threads are older than 5+ years.

I'm looking for advice on getting rechtsschutzversicherung here in Berlin. (Suffice to say I have my reasons why I would like to have this insurance, the discussion of which is not the point of this post)

I'm a bit overwhelmed because I've looked around and cannot find any reliable way of telling if a particular service is good or not. The reviews on Check24 are not helpful because many either one sentence replies or sound either made up or written by idiots. Google reviews aren't very helpful either, and I've read plenty of contradicting information. 

If I have an issue, I am going to have to be the one to call their help hotline, I can't put this on my partner, so it's important that I am able to understand what they advise me to do. Furthermore, I'm trying to find a place with either bilingual lawyers or freie anwaltswahl so I can find a bilingual lawyer here in Berlin. 

Does anyone on TT have any recommendations or advice? I've heard a lot of anecdotal stories of people who had rechtzschultzversicherung and either they refused to cover a particular case or canceled the person's coverage immediately after a claim. It's quite daunting and a lot of places sound like trash that just take your money and don't actually protect you when it counts. 

One other  issue is important when looking for legal insurance - to know what is covered or coverABLE...you have your reasons for wanting such an insurance and don´t wish to disclose them. Fair enough but.just to point out, for example, visa/immigration issues are not usually coverable and , in the majority of cases, neither are disputes with a spouse...just saying...

Plus, watch out for waiting times before you can actually use such an insurance...they vary from company to company and depend on the tariff....

21 hours ago, john g. said:

One other  issue is important when looking for legal insurance - to know what is covered or coverABLE...you have your reasons for wanting such an insurance and don´t wish to disclose them. Fair enough but.just to point out, for example, visa/immigration issues are not usually coverable and , in the majority of cases, neither are disputes with a spouse...just saying...

I originally didn't want to bring it up because I was afraid the thread would get side-tracked, but I want legal insurance for protection in case my company fires me illegally. 

For the past few years I have been working for an American company in Germany, full time, hired with a German unlimited contract, and this company doesn't know shit about German laws. Our HR department is staffed with people who are not trained and qualified HR professionals and I know for a fact the company cuts corners with the law. (I also have in writing from one HR employee that the company does not follow the German law, rather we follow the corporate policy set by the HQ in the US.) I know first hand from another employee who has been here for several years that the American bosses started operating in Germany and then were shocked that they could not terminate someone with the snap of their fingers. I've lived through 2 mass terminations and have heard cases of people who refused to go, so a fake claim of sexual misconduct was brought against them to pressure them out.

Given this environment, I would feel more comfortable if I had some kind of legal protection in case they terminate my contract illegally. Right now I feel vulnerable because I don't understand the ins and outs of the legal system and want to have someone who will protect me in case my company does something shady. 

24 minutes ago, prophet60091 said:

I originally didn't want to bring it up because I was afraid the thread would get side-tracked, but I want legal insurance for protection in case my company fires me illegally. 

Fair enough.  In that case, you have to make sure that your insurance covers employment because it's not always the case.  My initial plan did not cover employment because I had a throw away job anyway at the time but once I got a better job, I added it.

41 minutes ago, prophet60091 said:

Given this environment, I would feel more comfortable if I had some kind of legal protection in case they terminate my contract illegally.

Most legal cost insurances I know of don´t cover labour disputes. Maybe joining a union would give you legal protection?

If that is the only reason for needing that insurance, then (if possible) set aside a small sum to pay for an employment lawyer in the event you need one. As I'm sure you know, if your employer dismisses you without a lawful reason and without a proper process you can get an award for damages. This can include the lawyer's statutory fees and expenses (and your travel costs, loss of earnings). 

4 minutes ago, dstanners said:

If that is the only reason for needing that insurance, then (if possible) set aside a small sum to pay for an employment lawyer in the event you need one. 

Employment lawyers cost real money too. ;) "Rechtsschutzversicherung Arbeitsrecht" or "Arbeitsrechtsschutz" is what to look for, it's really affordable – I'm sure @john g. or @Starshollow can help there.

...just to clarify - this means you will need to 1) win and 2) negotiate with your lawyer that they will work for statutory fees only (anything in excess of that you would have to pay yourself). 

49 minutes ago, someonesdaughter said:

Employment lawyers cost real money too. ;) "Rechtsschutzversicherung Arbeitsrecht" or "Arbeitsrechtsschutz" is what to look for, it's really affordable – I'm sure @john g. or @Starshollow can help there.

My rechtschutzversicherung policy offered a smorgasbord of "addons" - I took arbeitsrecht and I think it cost an extra 12 euros per year.  totally worth it IMO

@prophet60091 - if you have not yet been informed or threatened with cancellation of your work contract/firing, such a legal insurance can be obtained. It has a waiting period of 6 months, though, usually, for labor disputes.

If your employer has "cut corners" as you say, a good lawyer can take them for a very expensive ride in your favor, including an auditing by the relevant German authorities like the Bundesrentenanstalt and the Krankenkassen. You could also have claims for missed-out tax benefits etc from company pension schemes if you have never been informed about your right to set up one and have not done so either.

We advise a lot of foreign employers and help them how to do all this correctly and such reduce any potential liability for them. It does cost a wee bit of money but is far less expensive than facing the dire consequences if audited or sued by employees or both. Hence I can see that you actually have a lot of leverage against such an employer.

Still, a legal insurance would make sense, talk to one of the independent broker/advisors who advertise here on Toytown to send you some quotes and set you up with such an insurance.

Cheerio

Apologies if this in the wrong thread, this seems to be latest for this post. 

I would like to get legal insurance for myself (I have a contract, not self-employed), but every time I find one that looks ok, it asks me SINGLE OR FAMILY.

I want to only insure myself as I have a contract which means it will be cheapish. As my husband is freelance this seems to break the internet page whenever I choose this option and the cost is insane. To be clear, he does not want legal insurance, only me. 

My question is: can I pick single here even though I am married? 

Also, it seems to be available only in bundles so if I choose single, this also often covers tenant insurance - as we have both names (me and my husband) on the rental contract, how does this work? Can I still only choose single? Would that mean that only I would be covered with my landlord if I had a problem, but my husband wouldn't? Sorry, seems confusing and I don't want to get anything I shouldn't. 

Many thanks for any help.