Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Unitymedia price increase justifies special right of cancellation

7 posts in this topic

Hello, 

today I got a letter saying that from the 01.03 the price of my service is going to increase - same contract and same Laufzeit according to the letter. 

my question is if this is a valid reason for cancel my contract. I have been wanting to do this for a while now. 

Thank you 

Yes, you can. The termination will then take effect one day before the price increase - February 28.

You need to write the following letter within 6 weeks of receiving the price increase announcement:

Sehr geehrte Damen und Herren,

hiermit nehme ich mein Sonderkündigungsrecht in Anspruch und kündige meinen Unitymedia Fernsehen-Vertrag fristgerecht zum nächstmöglichen Zeitpunkt (28. Februar 2018). Bitte senden Sie mir eine schriftliche Bestätigung der Kündigung unter Angabe des Beendigungszeitpunktes zu.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen

<your name>

Be sure to include your name, address, and customer number with Unitymedia. To be safe, send it registered with return receipt (Einschreiben mit Rückschein), so they can't pretend they never got it.

24 minutes ago, WhyNot_DE said:

Thank you @El Jeffo shall I make a reference to some law about this "Sonderkündigunsrecht" ?

@El Jeffo alreay did that for you, there is not need to cite the law. 

On 13.1.2018, 14:16:16, El Jeffo said:

Sehr geehrte Damen und Herren,

hiermit nehme ich mein Sonderkündigungsrecht in Anspruch und kündige meinen Unitymedia Fernsehen-Vertrag fristgerecht zum nächstmöglichen Zeitpunkt (28. Februar 2018). Bitte senden Sie mir eine schriftliche Bestätigung der Kündigung unter Angabe des Beendigungszeitpunktes zu.

I'm interested to know if they accept this - Can you keep us(me) updated on their response?

18 minutes ago, Adem137 said:

I'm interested to know if they accept this - Can you keep us(me) updated on their response?

They have to accept it. It's the law.

It's pretty much the only legal way to get out of auto-renewing annual contracts prematurely. It also applies to insurance policies and any other product or service with a subscription model.

But like I mentioned above, you only have a six-week window from the time you are notified of the price increase. If you wait and see if it works out for someone else, it may be too late for you to act.