Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

How tenants / buyers perceive Hochparterre apartments ?

9 posts in this topic

HI

How tenants or property buyers perceive  Hochparterre  or ground floor apartments in Berlin. Is it usually a disadvantage due to noise and theft ?  

Do Hochparterre  or ground floor apartments require more time to (re-sell) if they are offered at fair price  ? I am talking about neighborhoods like (Prenzlauer Berg , Charlottenburg, Westend, Wilmersdorf).

Thanks

In my experience, they're generally perceived as less attractive than apartments on higher floors.

Improved security measures (such as video intercom systems and more secure doors/locks) and the aging of society - creating many more people who might welcome not have to climb any stairs - can alter those perceptions.

Keep in mind that the three prime factors in real estate (location, location, location) matter even more for ground-floor apartments, because high-traffic streets, whether car or pedestrian, will likely be louder on the ground floor than higher up. Therefore, good noise insulation is key.

2 minutes ago, El Jeffo said:

In my experience, they're generally perceived as less attractive than apartments on higher floors.

Improved security measures (such as video intercom systems and more secure doors/locks) and the aging of society - creating many more people who might welcome not have to climb any stairs - can alter those perceptions.

Keep in mind that the three prime factors in real estate (location, location, location) matter even more for ground-floor apartments, because high-traffic streets, whether car or pedestrian, will likely be louder on the ground floor than higher up. Therefore, good noise insulation is key.

Thanks

I will try to find a reasonable small apartment in (Prenzlauer Berg ,or  Charlottenburg, Grunewald, or Schmargendorf  or Wilmersdorf). 

Those seems to be good areas from my search and visits to Berlin since 2014 till now.

33 minutes ago, RedMidge said:

Didn't kid have another thread about  the problems as a landlord? Alert for Panda  Munich!!!!

Yea... :) 

2 hours ago, El Jeffo said:

Therefore, good noise insulation is key.

And beautiful curtains or shades that you won't mind keeping closed 24/7.

1 hour ago, RedMidge said:

Alert for Panda  Munich!!!!

something tells me that after the last fiasco she'd probably rather let this one slide ;)

I always buy ground and what has changed over the years is that outdoor space is more desired, a lot more valuable, much more of a selling point now (for lifestyle reasons and rising land prices make next new builds smaller).   Time was it was a contest for the developer to offload it onto you and you desperately try not to end up with it.   Not any more.  

Other factors come into play.  On noise, my flat in a small compact build not facing the entrance door or near the lift is a different kettle of fish from one that has both.  And ground floor away from a main road side is often hugely different from one that a tram rattles past, a couple of metres from the window.

I never worry about the "does x cost less than y" when it comes to property because the difference is just factored in.  Buy x for less and probably sell it for less than y, or buy y and get more.

I think also resale expectations have changed.   That "who will buy it from me" tends to think private owner occupier and their wish list.   These days, you will probably sell on to a landlord who will just see it as square metres to flog to someone who needs a place to live, or someone who cannot be so choosy.

I have a hochparterre in Frankfurt. It's less desirable than the higher floors. It's altbau  and for one thing it has the disadvantage that the floor is freezing cold in the winter as the chill from the drafty basement seeps into my flat. It's very hard (i.e. expensive) to heat in the winter. It's also darker than the floors above--it just gets a sliver of sunshine in the summer for about 10 minutes.

I let the flat now and I don't have trouble letting it, but I know it's less desirable because it's a ground floor. One potential tenant once turned it down because she was concerned for her safety on account of someone potentially entering the flat while she was inside if any of the windows were open. I feel it's a valid concern.