Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Makler's provision when he sells his own house?

8 posts in this topic

Hi,

I have been searching an apartment to buy for last 2 months in Berlin.

Finally I have found nice looking one and than I made an offer right after visited it. 

In the advert. it was already written "with maklerprovision" so I was aware to pay the fee. 

Last week I have received positive answer for my offer and also I have found that makler is also the

owner of the apartment. 

In legal and ethical way does he has right to asking for a provision even for his own property? 

No, unfortunately, unlike for rents, where there is an explicit law §2 (2) Nr. 2 WoVermRG forbidding the Makler and the owner to be the same person, there is no such explicit law for sales of apartments.

So you would have to risk being taken to court by the Makler when you don't pay him the Maklerprovision - just take care you do not allow a stringent Maklerprovision to be put into the notariellen Kaufvertrag. When you get the contract template and you see the words "unterwirft sich wegen dieser Zahlungsverpflichtung der Maklerfirma gegenüber der sofortigen Zwangsvollstreckung in sein gesamtes Vermögen" in the Maklerprovision clause, insist to have it changed to "Der Käufer verpflichtet sich zur Zahlung einer Maklercourtage in Höhe von ??? Euro an die Maklerfirma XY."

Because with a stringent clause that contains the word "Zwangsvollstreckung", you really do have to pay the Maklerprovison immediately  - if you don't pay, the Makler can get a bailiff to take the money from you - of course you can then go to court, sue him and win, but it's a lengthy process: http://www.tagesspiegel.de/wirtschaft/immobilien/immobilienkauf-vorsicht-bei-der-maklerklausel/9515590.html

However, in the past the courts have always decided in the favour of the buyer when seller and Makler were the same person, see here: https://www.focus.de/immobilien/kaufen/tid-21020/hauskauf-und-miete-acht-irrtuemer-ueber-maklerprovisionen-irrtum-nummer-2-auch-wenn-vermieter-und-makler-identisch-sind-fallen-provisionen-an_aid_591059.html

With our site purchase we also removed the actual amount from this clause because we were informed that the amount (either explicitly or as a percentage) increases the Vertragswert and so you end up paying even more to the Notar in the end.

To PandaMunich´s point:  Beware of a so called „selbstständiges Provisionsversprechen“ (stand alone payment promise). Makler might resort to that vehicle if the factual requirements for their payment claim (§§ 652ff BGB) as such are not met and the buyer is fully aware of those circumstances.

I am sorry for the late reply. Thanks a lot for the helpful answers.

There isn't any Maklerprovision clause in the contract. I have searched for "Zwangsvollstreckung" and found out this paragraph: 

Vollstreckungsunterwerfungen

Der Käufer, mehrere als Gesamtschuldner, unterwirft sich wegen der in dieser Urkunde eingegangenen Verpflichtung zur Zahlung des Kaufpreises samt Verzugszinsen gemäß § 288

Abs. 1 (bzw.: 2) BGB hieraus ab dem Datum der Erteilung der vollstreckbaren Ausfertigung der sofortigen Zwangsvollstreckung aus dieser Urkunde. Gleiches gilt für den Verkäufer wegen seiner Verpflichtung zur Räumung und Verschaffung des Besitzes.

Auf Antrag kann ohne weitere Nachweise voll- streckbare Ausfertigung erteilt werden (dem Verkäufer jedoch erst nach Fälligkeitsmitteilung und gemäß deren Inhalt, dem Käufer zur Besitzverschaffung gegen Nachweis der Kaufpreiszahlung.

I first got in touched with his co partner and he showed me the apartment. Then he passed our offer email to his partner (the owner of the property) and than I talked the details with him. Only that time I could realise that he is also the owner and the makler. Would it change something that his co partner handled the advert of the apartment and visiting appointment etc. and than he finalised the deal like he is just the owner of the property?

I really would not care paying the fee because I had already prepared myself to do it but now it sounds so injustice and not ethical.  

8 hours ago, eastandwest said:

it sounds so injustice and not ethical.  

All my sympathy to  you.

You are very young, aren't you?

Life is not fair, nor just, or ethical.

On 1/12/2018, 12:27:00, PandaMunich said:

No, unfortunately, unlike for rents, where there is an explicit law §2 (2) Nr. 2 WoVermRG forbidding the Makler and the owner to be the same person, there is no such explicit law for sales of apartments.

[...]

However, in the past the courts have always decided in the favour of the buyer when seller and Makler were the same person, see here: https://www.focus.de/immobilien/kaufen/tid-21020/hauskauf-und-miete-acht-irrtuemer-ueber-maklerprovisionen-irrtum-nummer-2-auch-wenn-vermieter-und-makler-identisch-sind-fallen-provisionen-an_aid_591059.html

Panda, you are wise and helpful. *humbly bows* :)