Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

possible fake tax advisor in frankfurt

3 posts in this topic

Hello,

I have learned that a tax advisor in Frankfurt is not actually qualified as an accountant or lawyer, as he claims to be and has ripped off a few people, including myself.

what are legal consequences in Germany if a tax advisor is caught out doing unlicensed work?

what are the professional requirements to be a Steuerberater or a tax lawyer?

what are best channels to double check if someone is registered as a lawyer or accountant??

thanks

You know, you should have posted this in your previous thread:

1 hour ago, action said:

what are legal consequences in Germany if a tax advisor is caught out doing unlicensed work?

Do you mean that he claimed to be a Steuerberater (which is a legally protected term) and wasn't?

That would be a case of §132a StGB (see here for German version):

Section 132a
Abuse of titles, professional classifications and symbols

(1) Whosoever, without authorisation

1.  uses domestic or foreign titles of office or government service, academic degrees, honorific titles or public honours;

2.  uses the professional designation physician, dentist, psychological psychotherapist, child or youth psychotherapist, psychotherapist, veterinarian, pharmacist, attorney, patent attorney, certified public accountant, sworn auditor, tax consultant or tax agent;

3.  uses the title of publicly appointed expert; or

4.  wears domestic or foreign uniforms, official dress or official insignia,

shall be liable to imprisonment not exceeding one year or a fine.

1 hour ago, action said:

what are the professional requirements to be a Steuerberater or a tax lawyer?

Steuerberater: pass the Steuerberater exam and having been bestellt (= become a member of a Steuerberaterkammer).

tax lawyer, i.e. Fachanwalt für Steuerrecht: pass the 2. Staatsexamen (all lawyers have to pass it), be called to the bar (= become a member of a Rechtsanwaltskammer)  and pass the additional "Fachanwalt für Steuerrecht" exams and having to have had a minimum number of tax cases.

1 hour ago, action said:

what are best channels to double check if someone is registered as a lawyer or accountant??

For lawyers, query the national Rechtsanwaltskammer database (no idea how complete it is): https://www.bea-brak.de/bravsearch/search.brak

For Steuerberater ask the local Steuerberaterkammer (some also have online databases, but they are not complete, i.e. just because you don't find someone in their database doesn't mean they are not a Steuerberater. You simply have to ask at the Steuerberaterkammer in person to have them look it up in their paper records). 

i only found out this week that the person is unlicensed, according to my lawyer.

yes, he claims to be a Steuerberater

thanks