Marriage in Denmark to avoid German red tape

264 posts in this topic

I also just spoke with the city hall ppl in Copenhagen and they had me jumping for joy! Yes.. all thats necessary is our passports. Thanks so much to Pomshgrl for clarifying the ease and simplicity of Danish Weddings. I am non-eu...Zimbabwean, getting married to German who lives in Vienna. Im currently in Vienna on tourist visa...checked this info with the marriage office in DK...and thats ok by them! Only problem now is how to change status here in austria or even Germany without spending another 1000 euro on flights back home. The official line with Botschaft here is that i have to return to home country then apply for ´Reunion`visa... Any advice on getting round this would be really appreciated as my visa expires mid May...

Can anyone please tell me how long do I have to stay in Copenhagen in order to get my appointment and and get married all together.

Thank you.

*M

I get alot of emails asking for info about getting married in Copenhagen and how to deal with the Auslanderbehorder

For Kobenhaven: http://www3.kk.dk/Globalmenu/City%20of%20C...s/Marriage.aspx

For Auslander Take with you :

Originals of your(s) and spouses Registration and one copy.

Original Passport and one copy ( yours & your EU Spouse)

Three months of Paystubs (if your EU spouse already works in Germany), Alternatively if you don't work your bank statements showing your finances)

They asked if we had a letter from my husbands employer stating he worked there. We didn't have this, they didn't tell us we needed this - but in the end it didn't matter. Take it if you have it & one copy.

If your EU Spouse is already working they should have this : bescheinigung uber das gemeinschaftliche aufenthaltsrecht , which is a certificate for work and unlimited right to residence. I know alot of people on here make it sound like the minute an EU citizen pulls up you can walk in and get a job ( which is the case) but the employer has this certificate and should provide you would the original and the copy. You should take this with you to the appointment because they asked for it.

2 Passport Photo's of You. Make sure they conform to the required standards. They wont accept ones that dont.

Original Marriage Certificant and one copy. If it isn't in German or a national marriage certificate, they you will need to get it translated.

Proof you have medical insurance that is valid in Germany.

Take a translator if you do not speak German. I highly advise this as none of them want to speak English.

We took a copy of this, although we didn't end up needing it. http://bundesrecht.juris.de/freiz_gg_eu_20...R198600004.html

It states that people married to EU Citizens have the same rights as an EU Citizen... lots of other stuff, but they get the drift.

We paid 8 Euro's for the card. That was the only cost we paid.

Hmmm that is a tough one. If it was me, I would come to Germany and applying. My Visa states it is valid for the EU. You should consult an immigration attorney to ask what you should do. Since your German husband isn't living in his home country its going to be a little Messy. You should however remind who you are speaking to in Vienna, that according to EU Law you have the same rights as an EU citizen and they cannot hinder or delay your Visa. If you do a search on this in this site I think you will find the link to the law. If you don't them send me a pm and I will try and dig it up.

I also just spoke with the city hall ppl in Copenhagen and they had me jumping for joy! Yes.. all thats necessary is our passports. Thanks so much to Pomshgrl for clarifying the ease and simplicity of Danish Weddings. I am non-eu...Zimbabwean, getting married to German who lives in Vienna. Im currently in Vienna on tourist visa...checked this info with the marriage office in DK...and thats ok by them! Only problem now is how to change status here in austria or even Germany without spending another 1000 euro on flights back home. The official line with Botschaft here is that i have to return to home country then apply for ´Reunion`visa... Any advice on getting round this would be really appreciated as my visa expires mid May...

Three months of Paystubs (if your EU spouse already works in Germany), Alternatively if you don't work your bank statements showing your finances)

They asked if we had a letter from my husbands employer stating he worked there. We didn't have this, they didn't tell us we needed this - but in the end it didn't matter. Take it if you have it & one copy.

I'm curious about those requirements. Does that mean you're not allowed to get married in Denmark if you're unemployed or poor? Or even if you're self employed and don't have an employer? What a strange requirement...

Those requirements are for the Auslanderbehorder. And I believe regardless of your situation you have to show some form on income that you are using to support yourself with them. I know it's a cruel world, but they are probably guessing just like I would that if you cant support yourself you aren't going to be able to support someone else either.

Thanks Pmohsgrl for all the helpful tips. See, when I called their office they told me all that I need is my passport with a a valid extended visa, and my fiance (German) needs his passport. I asked if there are any other documents we need and she said - that's it. But we will bring all that you have listed just in case.

Thank you

I think all that documentation is for the Germans when you come back from the marriage in Denmark, not for the Danes.

The documents I listed is for the Auslanderbehorder

The Danish just want to see your passports with your visa.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

I'm about at my wits-end trying to navigate the German red-tape to get married to my fiancee.

Me (American) Her (German) it's been a very frustrating process.

Initially, when I contacted the German Consulate in the US on these matters, I was told I needed zero (yes, zero) items of paperwork to get married over here in Germany. When I pressed the issue of needing "nothing" to get married over here (naturally, common sense would dictate otherwise) I was greeted with a bit of hostility that I did not understand the concept of "nothing" being needed.

Since arriving here in Germany (with more than "nothing," solid advice not withstanding) I've collected still more paperwork, but it seems endless as I seem to need still more paperwork to verify the original paperwork, which begs the question of the point of collecting the original paperwork in the first place.

Denmark is looking really good to me right now.

From what I've read, it seems that the specific city/state in Germany dictates the laws on marriage/paperwork and what all is needed to accomplish it. Could/should one assume the same for Denmark?

Thanks,

UA

Wow, interesting, I'll be getting married in July (I'm American, she's German), everything was pretty simple on my end. Had to have a birth certificate with an apostille...and well, sign that I'm not currently married...and...done.

Very easy for Americans to get married in Germany, imo...it could be that it's just Bavaria that's easy. That was going through Munich itself, who then sends the paperwork to the village we're getting married in, but Munich tells them what's proper.

Unfortunately, I've never heard of an apostille until about 20 minutes ago. (See above for my "needing nothing" discussion.)

I should also note, that when I called the US Consulate in Frankfurt from the US, they said the marriage paperwork was "Germany's Problem" and I should look elsewhere. After arriving here, I went to the same Consulate, and they set me up for an appointment for an affidavit right away.

I did get a certified birth certificate and affidavit that I've never been married. My German fiancee contacted the courthouse in Frankfurt before I came over here and instructed me on these.

At no point, was the word apostille EVER used until now, and this is after we've gone back to the German government with "everything".

Where/how did you get your apostille and where did you learn of them?

I also add, that BIOLOGICALLY I am half German, although LEGALLY I am 100% American. Born and raised in the US. I add the half-German bit because that means my mom is German and has a "Familienbuch". However, since I was born in America, I was never entered into my mom's book, and this is working against me, because I now need to get myself somehow appended to it. Were I 100% American, ironically, this might be easier.

Thanks

I just got married there and it was quick and simple. Just fill out the form, both parties show passports with visas if applicable and set a wedding date. Show up on wedding date, wait 10 minutes to say "I do", leave with marriage certificate. Done. I won't even bother to register the marriage in Germany as we are happily headed to the US. But as someone else already posted, to do that isn't difficult, just some pay stubs and junk.

Different places require different papers in Denmark, but nothing like Germany.

i am a non eu resident, living in the US. gf is german. too difficult to marry in germany !! denmark sounds cool. how long does one have to stay there before getting a date for marraige ? i ask this Q again as i am not sure if this duration is longer or more paperwork is reqd from a non resident, non EU, non american citizen.

Pmohsgrl, you have given me hope again !!

I was asked to stay at least 3 days before the wedding, I showed the hotel booking when applying.

PS. You have to book in advance your wedding (you send the documents via post). At least that's what we did. Paperwork is a piece of cake.

...then again, paperwork for the wedding in Germany is a piece of cake too. We were expecting a hassle, had NONE...very simple.

Well, maybe it is easy now or maybe you are lucky. When I tried we had to get married before three months and we could not manage to do it, we gave up and went the Denmark way, I sent one email asking some questions, got all the information, post the documents via mail and 2 days later we had the wedding date.

It wasn't luck, it was just easy. They want a proper birth certificate, the family book of ze German, and a whole bunch of signatures...other than that, no problem. We had 3 months to plan...and everything was easier than we had guessed. One appointment to go through everything (takes 2 minutes), a 2nd to sign shit (takes 20 min), and then...pay and set a date. This was through Munich, btw.

Well, I presume neither of you have been married before and ze German is from Munich. And apart from I think that you are lucky. For people with some personal history it is a nightmare, for women with Eastern European origin it is a double nightmare. And I didn't even need a visa to stay here, I live here anyway. Thank God Denmark exists. :rolleyes: