Marriage in Denmark to avoid German red tape

264 posts in this topic

Ok...i will agree with corrections of my wording-BUT i would like to point out that this was only in MY case in HAMBURG.And this was due to the laws governing the area of Hamburg (as explained to us by our lawyer).There are however other States within Germany that do not have these problems with marriages in Denmark and grant the partner (not from Germany) the Temp residence permit without hassles. This information is the most important for other people who might stumble across this thread.

Hi SA06,

I am planning to do something similar like yourself. My fiancee is Polish and i am a Malaysian. We plan on getting married in Denmark as well. After the marriage, did you apply for the residence permit here or did you return to SA again to get it?

Thanks!

As an EU citizen, your fiancee is allowed to be in Germany without a visa (ok, so the rules on working for the new EU states are different, but that is another matter). Under EU law, the married partner of an EU cittizen receives the same rights as the EU citizen.

So at a first guess, you shouldn't have the same problems, but perhaps you should check what type of visa you need to be here on firts just to make sure.

I would speak to the standardsamt and KVR of your local council to check what they expect as it is a complicated situation, and they will be able to give the official advice!

Hi,

I am an Indian and my wife is German passport holder. I studied here, after my studies we went to denmark and got married. We turn back to Germany to change my visa status. I never turn back to India to do this process.

TOM

In Berlin (can't speak for other Bundesländer), the foreign national, British citizen, needs a translated copy of his/her birth certificate and that's it, the German has to provide a copy of their Familienbuch and that's that. Costs more to get married to a foreigner €25 more but that's it.

I checked with the German Embassy in Malaysia to check on the best options. They have suggested that I apply for a fiancee visa which requires my passport, his passport, residence permit and a formal obligation (this can be obtained from the Municipal Administration). It takes 2 months for the processing. But once i have this visa, i will be given 3 months to get married. Upon that my fiancee visa can be converted in Germany without me having to return to Malaysia.

Hi,i found that you wrote here again...did my info help you??Yes,the way you have been advised to do it is the correct way...marriage in denmark is for people who can't wait that long to be granted the fiancee visa..in my country last year it would have taken up to 6 months for it to be granted...so if you are prepared to wait in your country for 2-3 months than rather do that.

hi there!

i am a malaysian who is engaged to a german. right now, i am in germany. i understand that my passport allows me to travel anywhere within the EU for a period of 90 days.

so to get to the point...i need to know how to get married, here in germany. i saw the replies by SouthAfrica06 and Joan of Arc...i would like to know aobut it in more detail. we need to get married as fast as possible. she has contacted our local standesamt and the require my passport and a certificate of no impendence (single status). i have to go through the malaysian embassy here for the later. we were thinking about getting married in denmark but i am not sure about the documents they require and the visa for me too. it is not that i have ever been married before, but to go through the malaysian embassy to obtain the single status certificate can take up to 2 months and i am trying to find a way around that.

secondly, i am afraid i would be required to have some kind of visa by the german authorities before our marriage. the standesamt has not mentioned anything of that sort but i read online at the german embassys page in malaysia, that in order to get a permanent residency permit here, i'd have to apply for a visa through the embassy. is that true??

we do hope we get a reply to this, as fast as you guys can :)

you can email us at govster@gmail.com

vielen dank!

we got married in denmark last year, and we had n probs with german officials, by the way I am german passport holder and my wife from India.

Hi HU,

I sent you a PM regarding your enquiries but I need to add a couple of things:-

As mentioned in my PM you would need a single status declaration and your birth certificate. Both these documents have to be verified by Ministry of Foreign Affairs and then translated into German language (if you plan to get married here). Once that is done it has to be verified by the German Embassy in Kuala Lumpur. However, I am not sure if you can actually do it all here as I got my documents from Malaysia.

Secondly, you will not be able to convert your tourist visa (assuming you are here on one) into a residence permit after marriage. You will have to apply for a Family Reunion Visa from the German Embassy in Kuala Lumpur and obtain that approval before leaving. From the info given by the embassy this is the only way to do it.

I think its always better to refer to the respective authorities for further details as they will be the ones processing your application. Also our situations may vary so the requirements may differ. My advice is be clear on what is required.

Good Luck to you and please dont get frustrated with the some of the things that you will face. I have been there too and just remember you are not alone!

thanks guys...but is it possible...once we're married to obtain a permanent residency and a work permit from within germany?? or do i have to fly back home to do that? that would suck...

I'm tryin to get married to my woman - she Czech , me Irish.

We were gonna get a civil union in Denmark first and a church wedding in Czech.

Apparently the Catholic Church in Czech will not allow this. Anyone know the story here ?

Secondly on getting married in Denmark I called the office in Copenhagen - they said we'd have to go there twice personally - once to fill in a bunch of papers , secondly for the actual ceremony. They said maybe you didn't need to fill in the papers personally in some other Danish cities - so anyone know which cities these might be ?

My friend got married last month in Sonderborg.It is very easy.The lady in charge sent them the forms and all the requirement.They filled and sent it by post to sonderborg. After 3 to 4 days they got appointment for the wedding.It is very easy step.

Here is the website.

http://www.sonderborg.dk/default1.aspx?id=402

All information you need you will find it in the website.

I wish you good luck

Fancybabe

Secondly on getting married in Denmark I called the office in Copenhagen - they said we'd have to go there twice personally - once to fill in a bunch of papers , secondly for the actual ceremony. They said maybe you didn't need to fill in the papers personally in some other Danish cities - so anyone know which cities these might be ?

Have you even looked at what is required to get married in Germany? I can assure you, it is a lot easier than making two trips to Denmark from Düsseldorf..

I agree with Hutcho. It was much easier than I thought. Two passports, two Anmeldung papers (the city will give them to you when you apply), my passport (original and certified translation) and one other form filled out by both of us saying who our parents are/were and asking if we had been married before. It took 10 days to get the ok from the Landesgericht.

How long did it take , start of application to getting married ?

We're pretty desperate to get this thing done because of her arbeitserlaubis situation.

Is anywhere on Sjaelland possible (where Copenhagen is) as that would be much more convenient vis-a-vis flights ?

Thanks again.

Hmmm, how long did it take. We applied on Nov 12 and got the OK on Nov 21. It's how long does it take to get your documents together. For us, this was easy because I only needed a birth certificate translated (5 days - I already had the copy of my birth cert). We are not married yet because we need time to get our shit together but probably you could get married as soon afterward as you wanted.

I agree with Hutcho. It was much easier than I thought. Two passports, two Anmeldung papers (the city will give them to you when you apply), my passport (original and certified translation) and one other form filled out by both of us saying who our parents are/were and asking if we had been married before. It took 10 days to get the ok from the Landesgericht.

Can you make a step by step tutorial for getting married in Germany?

Is the ceremony taking place at the local rathaus?

Thanks.

My Fiance and I just returned from Copenhagen, Denmark to register to get married.

For those suggesting its just as easy to get married in Germany, perhaps you've become as awkward as they are (German Bureaucrats) and you've come to love the paperwork and the general awkwardness government employees seem to exude here. To get married in Germany you have to have everything translated which takes time and money. You also have to has someone translate the ceremony to you while its going on if I am not mistaken (and respond in German). You also have to wait while they sit around on their butts to approve your marriage and give you a date. This is a complete waste of time and frankly, a little too German for my taste. Yes yes I know if I don't like it I can leave - which will happen shortly.

When we arrived in Denmark we got in a taxi and we were pleasantly surprised that the man spoke English and didn't get an attitude about it. He took us to our Hotel, where again they spoke to us immediately in English because they heard us speaking it in the lobby, again absolutely NO ATTITUDE :-). We asked for instructions about how to get to City Hall, they gave them to us in clear concise English - So well we were able to walk there from our hotel in a city in a country we had never been to... imagine that. We thought we landed in freagen Utopia.

When we got to City Hall we paid our 500 DKK fee which is roughly 67 Euro. You have to pay Cash. They handed us a little two paged booklet, one side the woman filled out, one side the man filled out. Then we handed it to her, she checked our passports and our Visa's. She took photo copies. Gave us a receipt then got out a calendar and asked us when we would like to get married. We got to choose our date, and time. She marked it in the calendar and gave us a receipt and gave us instructions for when we should arrive at City hall for the ceremony. OH YEAH AND SHE SPOKE PERFECT ENGLISH and again no stuck up attitude about it.

They have forms in English, German, Danish and probably others as well. If you have been previously married you should bring all the paperwork showing that Divorce is final. The only other caveat is you have to have permission to live in the EU. I have residence in England so that was fine. If you don't have that I am not sure what they do, but it is probably still possible to get married there. You just have to call and ask - all of the girls in there speak English. They also offer the Ceremony in English, German and Danish. They provide two witnesses to you if you do not have them. They City Hall Building is beautiful and historic. Your marriage certificate is also a national certificate in English, German and Danish.

A little note for those of you about to take the piss and tell me about when in Rome... here is a little side note for you. English is the international language, it is also the language of business. People in Botswana villages in Africa speak a little English. Even in the back woods of Pakistan people can speak English - but you ask a German in German if they can speak any English (I've been here a month and I haven't mastered the language yet - excuse the hell out of me I'm learning) and they look at you like you pissed on the family grave. If it wasn't for my British Fiance working here and living here, I would never come here I hate it this much.

The Danish were lovely and friendly, and people would talk to us and ask us where we were from, help us out when we looked completely lost. Seriously, I miss it already and we've actually decided to move there sometime next year. They even have ENGLISH TV...

So you all enjoy getting married in Germany, I'm going to Denmark to get married . Send me a private message if you would like the links and everything I have with information.