Marriage in Denmark to avoid German red tape

264 posts in this topic

Anyone got any experience of getting married there, it seems straight forward, too straight forward. -_-

Is it accepted by the German authorities, or, as I think, its another beaurocratic nightmare?

Don't get married would be my advice. As the bishop would say, "A man in love is incomplete until he is married. Then he’s finished."

However if you must. Denmark does seem to be a good option on paper. I know an American and German who whipped across the border and came back married. Not sure if they've had any problems with the German authorites as they then flew off to the states.

While I must admit to not being definitively informed, I would expect that Denmark being an EU member, after fighting your way through the multitude of German obstacles, ("Familienbuch" probably being the biggest one), in the end it will be recognised here.

Well I got married in Scotland which was very straightforward and that was recognised by the German authorities.

Good question.

I tried to make a quick check re. the Danish rules for marriage and only ended up confused. I think the conclusion is, that if you're both a EU citizen then you can get married in Denmark. The rules were changed in 2002 to make it more difficult for foreigners to get married in Denmark.

Since there is no information in English on their homepage I suggest you contact:

Familiestyrelsen ("administration for family related issues")

Phone 3392 3302. Open weekdays between 10 and 14

E-mail: familiestyrelsen@civildir.dk

Henrik

Well I got married in Scotland

Gretna Green perhaps? :D

We got married in England and it took six months and several letters from the consulate to convince the local bureaucracy that there are no "Familienbuch"s in the UK before they accepted it. However, that was the only major problem. I suspect that if you're resident in a big city like Hamburg, instead of in a village, like we were, then this problem may not exist.

The Danish authorities have accepted our papers (decree absolute, passport, proof of residence). They accept documents in German and English, without the need for translation. So, I think they are not a problem.

It's the Germans I'm worried about. After the nightmare we endured getting my daughters surname changed. Jeees.

Hi,

i got married a few weeks ago, not in Denmark, but in France - my husband's French, I'm Australian. We got a marriage certificate in french which, once translated, was perfectly acceptable proof for the authorities here. So i'd say that a danish marriage certificate would also be fine here.

good luck!

monkel xx

When I got married in Germany we were able to get a multi language marriage certificate (opting for German and English) which we had to pay a nominal extra fee for.

Might be worth asking the dutch authorities if this is an option there as it could save you lots of hassle. This option is probebly more likely available on request than actualy offered so it is worth asking.

I got married in Copenhagen to my girlfriend (from Ukraine) in April of this year.

Check this out:

http://www3.kk.dk/Topmenu/English/Marriage/Information.aspx

Denmark is easy (as long as you are not resident in Denmark):

It is in Schengen (non-EU nationals now need a special visa to marry in the UK and there are more complications once you are there);

They wanted my passport and Aufenthaltserlaubnis and my girlfriend's passport with activated Schengen visa - nothing else;

It is cheap - 500Kr = 67 Euros (Although the hotels and eating out is not);

You can choose Danish, German or English language for the ceremony;

The certificates are in Danish, English and German (no translations needed later);

Nice scenery and stuff to see.

If you are divorced, you send your Decree Absolut to an office there for prior recognition. You then go to give notice and get an appointment for the wedding.

The wedding was easy, uncomplicated and the people friendly.

I had no problems with registering my wife here in Germany - they recognise marriage certificates from Denmark and no translation is needed.

Looking for some advice for this complicated situation.

Basically Im an American in Germany on a tourist visa, and Im thinking about marrying my German boyfriend, but in Denmark to avoid German redtape.

1. where do i get a Meldebescheinigung? from the US? or does my German partner just need one?

2. Does anyone know if it would be possible for me to live and work in the UK as the spouse of a German, who would still be living as a student in germany and visiting for half of the year in the UK?

Topics merged by admin

Advice? Phone the relevant local authorities and ask them.

Actually, a well worded advanced search on the site should give you some answers or at least some pertinent contact points.

possible for me to live and work in the UK as the spouse of a German, who would still be living as a student in germany and visiting for half of the year in the UK?

Think the Husband has to be with you in the UK to work there. He can pretend he's living there.

What if you are an EU citizen, have no passport and just use an ID card to travel in the EU? Can you use that as proof of identity to get married in Denmark?

Hi there!

I am a South African who has extensive experience with marrying in Denmark and going through the legal channels here in Germany.I arrived in Hamburg last December on a Tourist Visa to be with my (at that time) fiance).We met in SA but he had to return here so i had to follow him.We believed we had a chance to keep me here once i was in but-NO such luck.After my three months here (despite having a lawyer to plead my case) i had to return to SA for the mandatory 3 months.I was lucky enough to be granted another Tourist Visa and i returned to HH in June 06.I was due to fly back in Spetember and 2 weeks before we were married in Denmark.Good news,Germany recognises this marriage as it took place within the Shenghen States and its perfectly legal.Bad news-upon our return to HH we went to the necessary office to apply for the temp residence permit and i was charged to appear at an 'Anhoring' at the office there because they said that while my marriage was legal,they were contesting the fact that i 'betrayed' the German Laws by knowingly getting married in Denmark on a Tourist Visa when i should have in fact applied for the required Marriage Visa back in SA (which takes 3 - 6 months depending how busy the legal people here in HH are).We then approached a brilliant lawyer here in HH to plead my case again to the authorities and i was finally granted the temp residence permit as the officials were satisfied that this is a real marriage.

The fact is that Germany will recognise your marriage in Denmark-BUT the different States within Germany all have different laws with regard to certain subjects and they do have the freedom to reject the marriage.My advice,if you are living in HH,get a good lawyer!

The fact is that Germany will recognise your marriage in Denmark-BUT the different States within Germany all have different laws with regard to certain subjects and they do have the freedom to reject the marriage.My advice,if you are living in HH,get a good lawyer!

The don't -- and can't -- "reject the marriage", they reject your residence request based on laws designed to prevent skirting the laws with marriages of convenience. You two would've had to return to Seth Efrica for a few months and apply for residency again from outside the EU. Had your wife not gone with you in such a case, the authorities would have an easy time rejecting you again claiming that the willingness to live separately shows a lack of true commitment and is proof that the marriage isn't real but only for getting you into the country.

woof.

Wow you guys are really sticklers for picking on peoples wording...if you read again you will see that i mentioned that the Authorities were NOT disputing the marriage but rather the VISA 'on which' i got married...They cannot dispute the marriage but if they want to they will find another reason with which to send a person back to where they came from - such as the incorrect visa.Point is-becareful in which State you do this with in Germany because FIRSTHAND experience has shown me this.

I wasn't being pedantic; I only clarified what you wrote. You know how it works and I know how it works but people who stumble across this thread looking for information may not know how it works.

Authorities can indeed declare a marriage invalid within the country if they have good reason to believe it's only a marriage of convenience, in which case all the benefits of marriage -- not just residence but also things like tax class changes -- are likewise invalid until proven otherwise. This can take years.

In your case you only faced rejection of your residence permission because you didn't follow the correct channels. Whether you knew that there was a different visa for getting married matters little. However if the authorities see that you did try to file for such a visa and then "jumped the queue" (so to speak) and came on a tourist visa to get married, they'd be harsher with your case since it was clearly intentional that you didn't follow the correct procedures.

woof.