Kita and breakfast

31 posts in this topic

38 minutes ago, pmd said:

I think the underlying issue is my daughter is bored in this group. She is nearly 3 and it is a 3 month to 3 year old group. There is a boy her own age but the other children are a lot younger.  Today I asked her who she played with and she said Robbie (her imaginary seal friend) which made me feel sad. 

In this case I'd move her to another group. Not being able to play with children her own age is an awful situation. And she will always be the oldest because the parents of any new kids coming will want them in to a group with kids of a similar age.

Move her for this reason.

How long has she been at the kindergarten? Mixed age groups are normal. If it's still early days, give it time (I know it's an emotional time for the parents too, I've been there!). If she's been there a year or more already maybe think about an older group.

You could also think about extra curriculars. It's a little early but if there's a simple and fun class e.g. dance or sports nearby it could be a highlight of the week?

4 hours ago, sos-the-rope said:

How long has she been at the kindergarten? Mixed age groups are normal. If it's still early days, give it time (I know it's an emotional time for the parents too, I've been there!). If she's been there a year or more already maybe think about an older group.

She started Kita and has been in this group since last August. (She will be joining a 2-6 or 3-6 group next summer.)

Initially my wife and I were happy that she would be in a smaller group (10 children) but maybe it was not such a good decision in retrospect.

You could also think about extra curriculars. It's a little early but if there's a simple and fun class e.g. dance or sports nearby it could be a highlight of the week?

Yes, she does Kinderturnen once a week which she enjoys as several friends are there that she knew before Kita (but go to another Kindergarten unfortunately).

4 hours ago, FunnyLookingForeigner said:

In this case I'd move her to another group. Not being able to play with children her own age is an awful situation. And she will always be the oldest because the parents of any new kids coming will want them in to a group with kids of a similar age.

Move her for this reason.

Thanks. I think we will have to. We will give it a couple of weeks and see how she is once she gets back into a normal routine.

12 hours ago, pmd said:

... She is nearly 3 and it is a 3 month to 3 year old group. There is a boy her own age but the other children are a lot younger.

AFAIK, well, at least for my region, this is quite normal for a Kinderkrippe (0-3 years). At 3 years they have to leave the Krippe and move to Kindergarten where they will be placed in a mixed group of 3-6 year olds. My son, because he was external, joined the kindergarten at 2 years 9 months. He was the youngest and in a group with 3 "Vorschule" kids who were 6 1/2. That was nuts! But that's how German kindergarten is. Kids who were in the KInderkrippe at this institution, moved up to kindergarten shortly before or after their 3rd birthday.

I guess NRW has a different system. But if she would move to a new class anyway in a few months, then maybe they can expedite it.

I'm in NRW too, and at least in our area the kindergartens typically have 0-3 and 3+.groups, and there are always a few 3 year olds who would be better in one group than the other. That's certainly a good enough reason for you to push for her to be moved groups (in addition to the chance of starting afresh with a new Erzieherin). As for your daughter saying she only plays with her imaginary best friend, whilst that sounds sad, I really wouldn't read too much into it (or beat yourself up about it). I'm not convinced there are a huge number of 3 year old kids with deep and meaningful friendships with one another (certainly my kids didn't). At that stage it is more familiarity and possibly parental friendships that are behind their "friendships".  

12 hours ago, pmd said:

She started Kita and has been in this group since last August. (She will be joining a 2-6 or 3-6 group next summer.)

Initially my wife and I were happy that she would be in a smaller group (10 children) but maybe it was not such a good decision in retrospect.

Sounds like it’s maybe still early days?

Keep in touch with the staff and maybe even volunteer there if you have a chance. Always good to be involved!

In our Kita they make sure at every enrolment that there are several children of the same age, so the kids always have their circle of friends in a mixed-age group. Being the only other three-year-old in a baby group could indeed be tough for your kid. Moving up to the older group seems to be the right solution in this case. I hope that the principal will understand and all will go smoothly.

Update one month on:

Pleased to say that my daughter is a lot happier in the group now and looks forward to Kita. What is noticeable is she has a much better relationship with the Erzieherin. We obviously don't know if the Leiterin had a word with her but we suspect she did.