Anyone else irritated by Germans wanting to use "natural" material for everything?

133 posts in this topic

I need some sort of a cleanse; been eating far too much over the season. Am often bloated with acid reflux as a result. I don't normally eat so much and my system is protesting! I went to my cousin's birthday dinner in London last night and stupidly agree to a starter... was already filled up by the time the main course was served. Thankfully I'm flying home this afternoon and will probably fast for a day then eat very simply over the next weeks. Simple natural foods... oops!

41 minutes ago, arunadasi said:

@jeremytwo Yes! I've great especially for Sally Fallon, and in fact I've crresonded with her... she had advised me on a few health issues. It's through her I learnt of the studies on coconut oil, the saturated fat myth etc.

If you know of the Sally Fallon Foundation, the CEO of that natural foods org is one of the 80 natural health docs who have died mysteriously recently. (Yeah there goes Jeremy again...).

32 minutes ago, Jonny said:

Remember, in Paleo times the average lifespan was a lot lower than it is today - ( even considering those on a standard American diet).

If you want a real cleanse would a juice/plant based diet not be more appropriate ?  The Netflix documentary 'Fat, sick and nearly dead' explains this.

No, their lives were short, but they died of different things to what is killing everyone today. 

The opening chapters of "Nourishing Traditions" explain what "Politically Correct nutrition" is and it is entirely the opposite of the standard food pyramid.

1 hour ago, zwiebelfisch said:

* farmers claiming to have been sued for inadvertantly growing "contaimated" crops are also a myth

This is not a myth.  I come from South America and part of my family is in the farming business.  So I am aware of the situation directly.   In my country the market is dominated by Monsato and Dupont and there is a law forbidding the farmers to keep seeds, even the local seeds are not allowed anymore and only the "certified" seeds can be used, all must be fresh from the current year.

The Police goes and destroy your plantation and take your seeds if they get to know you are using your own seeds.

2 hours ago, phranco said:

That site uses the argument that coconut oil is unhealthy because 1 tbsp contains the same amount of unsaturated fat as 3.5 sugary donuts, or 10 squares of sugar filled chocolate ...

Sorry, if they can't find comparisons that actually make sense, no point reading further.

3 hours ago, arunadasi said:

In the case of coconut oil, the criticism are invalid. They are based on ... nothing, no studies. Justo prejudice and myth.

1 hour ago, arunadasi said:

I've great respect for Sally Fallon...It's through her I learnt of the studies on coconut oil, the saturated fat myth etc.

*Facepalm*

Oh well, you can lead a horse to water and all that...

From the article:

screencapture-dieteticallyspeaking-the-f

But that's fine. This Sally Fallon sounds like a reliable person.

7 minutes ago, theGman said:

Oh well, you can lead a horse to water and all that...

Yep, I agree.  Ancel Keys did a poorly run study in 1970, the American Heart Association jumped on it, and hasn't been willing to listen to modern findings that saturated fats are not a major contributor to heart disease, rather the concern is sugars/carbohydrates.

BTW - there are many findings that show that cholesterol/ldl is also not the evil that it was once believed to be.

30 minutes ago, Krieg said:

This is not a myth.  I come from South America and part of my family is in the farming business.  So I am aware of the situation directly.   In my country the market is dominated by Monsato and Dupont and there is a law forbidding the farmers to keep seeds, even the local seeds are not allowed anymore and only the "certified" seeds can be used, all must be fresh from the current year.

The Police goes and destroy your plantation and take your seeds if they get to know you are using your own seeds.

Jesus. Thank you Krieg, it is good to hear this is true from the horse's mouth.

12 minutes ago, phranco said:

Yep, I agree.  Ancel Keys did a poorly run study in 1970, the American Heart Association jumped on it, and hasn't been willing to listen to modern findings that saturated fats are not a major contributor to heart disease, rather the concern is sugars/carbohydrates.

BTW - there are many findings that show that cholesterol/ldl is also not the evil that it was once believed to be.

Yes the Ancel Keys study led to the rebellion in the form of the Atkins Diet.

To my knowledge, the human body actually makes its own cholesterol. 

When I did my "health" thing 3 years ago,  cut wheat and sugar and my weight dropped 10kg rapidly. The problem was being a family man the temptations were huge and I fell off the path. I'm only human! I've thought long about the problems with what I did and why I failed and I'm trying to address it this year.

17 minutes ago, phranco said:

I agree too. First google hit for "are saturated fats bad" is from Harvad Health:

A handful of recent reports have muddied the link between saturated fat and heart disease. One meta-analysis of 21 studies said that there was not enough evidence to conclude that saturated fat increases the risk of heart disease, but that replacing saturated fat with polyunsaturated fat may indeed reduce risk of heart disease.

But that's my point. It's complicated. That's why I posted the article. To muddy the the water. But don't throw the baby out with that muddy water. The article had many facts beyond saturated facts.

9 minutes ago, theGman said:

But don't throw the baby out with that muddy water. The article had many facts beyond saturated facts.

Sorry I don't have time to read "articles" that spew out a bunch of facts, some true, some false.

I spend enough time researching about health as it is.

Ah, yes, the Paleo Diet. From Health.com:

"Experts don't agree on its benefits

"In fact, the health benefits of the paleo diet are unproven. "Our ancestors ate this way and didn't have many of the chronic diseases we do, but that doesn't mean the food they ate is the reason why; drawing that conclusion would be like saying we live three times longer than our Paleolithic ancestors because we eat fast food," says Christopher Ochner, MD, research associate at the New York Obesity Nutrition Research Center at St. Luke's and Roosevelt Hospitals.""

@jeremytwo:  " The cereals we eat today bear no resemblance to the seeds we used to eat thousands of years ago."

I don't know what kind of cereal you eat, or how many thousands of years you want to go back, but I work with local growers/millers who grow Emmer, Dinkel, and Einkorn. Millet may be even older.

If memory serves, Arunadasi first talked about using coconut oil cosmetically (as well as in cooking). It contains lauric acid, commonly used in cosmetics and soaps, as it's a terrific emmolient (no Duck jokes please). Very good for the skin.

And to quote @theGman out of context:

"Like any food which is high in saturated fat, coconut oil is fine to have as part of a balanced diet in small amounts if you like the taste of this"

1 hour ago, theGman said:

But that's fine. This Sally Fallon sounds like a reliable person.

Sorry but the aggressive "put down" tone of that article put me off. To attack SF in that manner is classic ad hominem. Any attempt at eating healthier is good.

The basic tenets of SF's book are that the Food Pyramid based on carbs is wrong and that healthy fats are good. Picking on small ingredients is silly. And just because it says "Science based" doesn't mean the science isn't politicised. It is always political.

What irritates me?  The assumption that Stone-Age man just shriveled up and died at the age of 30.  They lived longer than you thought.  Not because of the Paleo diet, but because so many children died (infectious diseases, mostly) it artificially depressed the average age of death.  But for people who survived childhood and women who survived childbirth, the average age at death was 60 - 70.

So stop thinking of prehistoric populations full of doddering and toothless 25-year-olds.  It ain't so.

1 hour ago, katheliz said:

average age of death

death is age less. Death has not age. Death is a once only occurrence for every living organism and lasts permanently.

3 minutes ago, gaberlunzi said:

death is age less. Death has not age. Death is a once only occurrence for every living organism and lasts permanently.

Or as one of my favourite quotes says:"Life is not a rehearsal"!

I dunno. My great-grandma lived to 99 in a time when the life expectancy was nothing like that (still isn't, unless maybe you are a product of Krisper, Crisper, Kryspur, or however you spell that new cloning devise). Died in the late 1970s after producing 11 kids. She ate canned goods, meat and potatoes produced on mid-West American farms that, in later years, fed livestock with all the goodies BIO folk want to avoid and sprayed crops with all that stuff we want to wash off our produce today, as well as Jell-O, marshmallows, chocolate, and even was well known for making cakes for community gatherings (I guess she at a slice herself). She smoked and lived in a household with smokers. In the end, she did look a bit like a lizard, perhaps due to sun worship without sunscreen. What a lady! Picture is of her age about 78. 

19651010.MILF.390.CAD.W JSL AND PARICA.JPG

3 hours ago, katheliz said:

What irritates me?  The assumption that Stone-Age man just shriveled up and died at the age of 30.  They lived longer than you thought.  Not because of the Paleo diet, but because so many children died (infectious diseases, mostly) it artificially depressed the average age of death.  But for people who survived childhood and women who survived childbirth, the average age at death was 60 - 70.

So stop thinking of prehistoric populations full of doddering and toothless 25-year-olds.  It ain't so.

:PJust wondering, dear katheliz..does your reference to Stone Age man also include " STONED Age men in their youth "? I hope so! Otherwise, oh dear...!!!

1 hour ago, cybil said:

I dunno. My great-grandma lived to 99 in a time when the life expectancy was nothing like that (still isn't, unless maybe you are a product of Krisper, Crisper, Kryspur, or however you spell that new cloning devise). Died in the late 1970s after producing 11 kids. She ate canned goods, meat and potatoes produced on mid-West American farms that, in later years, fed livestock with all the goodies BIO folk want to avoid and sprayed crops with all that stuff we want to wash off our produce today, as well as Jell-O, marshmallows, chocolate, and even was well known for making cakes for community gatherings (I guess she at a slice herself). She smoked and lived in a household with smokers. In the end, she did look a bit like a lizard, perhaps due to sun worship without sunscreen. What a lady! Picture is of her age about 78. 

19651010.MILF.390.CAD.W JSL AND PARICA.JPG

What a lovely lady! The young child, the dog..the perfect great-grandma! 

3 minutes ago, katheliz said:

John, you know stoned-agers will eat anything/everything!

I was too poor to eat back then, katheliz!:P Having the " munchies " was tough!!!!