Anyone else irritated by Germans wanting to use "natural" material for everything?

135 posts in this topic

Sorry I need to vent a bit. I hate how Germans love to use "Natur" material for everything. It just makes things shitty and creates lots of unnecessary headache.

Thanks to my Landlord, my carpet is wool which fuzzes like crazy, making my wife's allergy worse. We also have a parkett floor with underfloor heating that now cracks like hell. Today I got a splitter in my foot.

Every fucking thing needs to be "Natur". Cups, bicycle frames, food, medicine and whatever else. Well in fact it's bullshit that "Natur" is healthy. 

researchers in California who studied natural and synthetic chemicals in the human diet in 2001 and wrote, “Among the agents identified as human carcinogens by the International Agency for Research in Cancer 62% occur naturally: 16 are natural chemicals, 11 are mixtures of natural chemicals, and 10 are infectious agents. Thus, the idea that a chemical is “safe” because it is natural, is not correct”

God I hate the person who started this Natur shit in Germany :angry:

The term "natural" is also used in the U.S. on many food labels. It means nothing. Most of us have been aware of this for many, many years.

Are these newly renovated "Natur" objects or were they there when you moved in? Have you raised your concerns to your landlord?

I challenged a relative selling 'Natur' diet pills.  No conformity, testing, ingredients etc.  Some dodgy sounding MLM. But it's Natur so it must be good.  Sh*t is also Natur though no one would swallow a s*it pill. 

9 minutes ago, emkay said:

I challenged a relative selling 'Natur' diet pills.  No conformity, testing, ingredients etc.  Some dodgy sounding MLM. But it's Natur so it must be good.  Sh*t is also Natur though no one would swallow a s*it pill. 

This is a country where they sell tea called 'stomach tea', 'bladder infection tea'..

Marketing marketing marketing...

My favorite is "Heilerde".  No one else can sell you dirt to eat.  :)

Not just a thing in Germany, though.  In the US you can also spend a lot to buy agave sweetener which is "all natural" but much worse for you than normal white sugar.

1 hour ago, emkay said:

I wouldn't bet on it.  https://www.webmd.com/digestive-disorders/news/20151209/diy-fecal-transplant#1

However, there might be actual benefit to a sh*t "pill".  :)

I have a squeezy bottle of agave syrup at the back of my cupboard, probably from the 'euro' basket in my local Reform-type shop. In what way is it worse than normal white sugar?

OK, googled it and it does look pretty bad (pure fructose, for anyone who wanted to know, and very damaging for liver function and metabolism generally). I'll toss it. Thank you for pointing it out!

I appreciate the OP's dilemma, but he is comparing apples and bananas. Yes, Germans do currently seem to be on a big "natural", "organic" binge (although you could also say the same about elsewhere, with idiotic overpriced - and even dangerous - fads like the Juicero, Raw Water, and anything Gwyneth Paltrow wants you to stick in your various orifices). But that doesn't explain the OP's cheap, shedding carpets or shoddily installed (or maintained) parquet floors.

My suggestion is to take up these issues with the landlord. Carpets can be replaced. Hardwood floors can be sanded. In the worst case, you might have to move. But try to exhaust all other possibilities first (including the Mieterverein).

3 hours ago, MikeMelga said:

Curare is also natural, but a poison. Just to remind us that "natural" is in most cases a marketing bullshit.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curare

Used in Scoline- a drug used in anaesthesia .

Digixin derived originally from Foxglove plant. So many drugs derived from nature.

But does not mean that all "Natural products " are healthy or good for us.

Or that the products have much of natural product in them!

12 hours ago, fraufruit said:

The term "natural" is also used in the U.S. on many food labels. It means nothing. Most of us have been aware of this for many, many years.

I love the use of “Organic” in all US food products like its some special thing. 

I have a colleague who is 100% Bio. Then he built a house and took long time finding the "Natur" tiles, 100% Natur kitchen, bio paint, bio bricks, pure bio wood, and so on. Then they had a kid and of course the kid is Vegan level 7, wears 100% bio clothes, but the best, they went all the way to import a baby pram from Denmark or Sweden because it was made of 100% bio materials, just to sell it a couple of months later because it was not practical.

53 minutes ago, Petro6golf said:

I love the use of “Organic” in all US food products like its some special thing. 

I thought Organic was a special thing in the US because so much of their food comes from factory farming and is full of pesticides or 'GM'. Is it not just a way for Americans to make sure their food is a bit better than the usual stuff they buy in supermarkets ?

I don't think this is just a German thing - I know people in the US like that too. One guy is always trying to "out-organic" everybody - freaks out big time if somebody offers his toddler a sweet. He says the kid has never tasted refined sugar. But his mom told he he goes to her house regularly and binges on potato chips, oreo cookies, pop tarts and soda, and he also smokes cigarettes when he thinks nobody is looking.

22 minutes ago, Jonny said:

I thought Organic was a special thing in the US because so much of their food comes from factory farming and is full of pesticides or 'GM'. Is it not just a way for Americans to make sure their food is a bit better than the usual stuff they buy in supermarkets ?

Organic is what Germans call Bio and there are many big shops and sources over there. All food in the world was organic until the early 20th century when petroleum and chemical companies got into the game.

Sure, Germany sells mineral water marked as "nature no gluten no GMO", but Germany is also top chemistry producer in the world:

5a537cc1ac126_Bildschirmfotovom2018-01-0

Apart from bad marketing, I don't see a problem here.

7 hours ago, emkay said:

oh no?  think again:

https://www.openbiome.org/press-releases/2015/10/28/fecal-transplant-pills-large-scale-production-begins-following-successful-dosing-study

:)

I got a kick one day in the biomarkt when I saw those dark chocolate Dickmanns monstrosities shoved full of sugar that almost gave me diabetes just looking at them because the box they were in was labeled "BIO". I had to do some thinking that night on the difference between absurdity and irony.