Learn German - Integration Course

10 posts in this topic

Hi all, 

I'm in norderstedt (garstedt) and I have got approval to attend the Integration course being an EU citizen as i'm totally new to German Language. I found four centres at norderstedt mitte which provide integration courses. I would like to know which one is better and more comfortable.

I'm a bit confused as to which one is good. I havent contacted them yet for the timings will see what are their offerrings. 

1. Berlitz Sprachschule Norderstedt

2. Volkshochschule Norderstedt

3. Wirtschaftsakademie Schleswig-Holstein

4. Tertia Norderstedt 

Please advise. 

-thads

I have attended Berlitz near central station for first 3 levels (not integration course, but weekly two days of classes) and later joined in a different institute (integration course, everyday classes) in Harburg which was close to my residence. I don't know if the curriculum at Berlitz for the non-integration course is different from integration course. In my opinion, Berlitz's curriculum was more structured and that covered grammar, verbs, idioms&phrases in each chapters/levels. But the exercises were very little and i felt that i can read/understand well but had huge trouble talking or starting a conversation outside the class. And i was in a group of 2 so i had little to learn from other's mistakes. My experience at later integration course was nice, having a group of 15+ and could learn a lot from others. I had lot of exercises (sometime overwhelming). Here, they recommended Schritte plus series of language books. I dont have experience from other language schools. I have received mixed reviews on Volkshochschule. Good luck!

On 1/26/2018, 7:46:00, Orgo said:

I have attended Berlitz near central station for first 3 levels (not integration course, but weekly two days of classes) and later joined in a different institute (integration course, everyday classes) in Harburg which was close to my residence. I don't know if the curriculum at Berlitz for the non-integration course is different from integration course. In my opinion, Berlitz's curriculum was more structured and that covered grammar, verbs, idioms&phrases in each chapters/levels. But the exercises were very little and i felt that i can read/understand well but had huge trouble talking or starting a conversation outside the class. And i was in a group of 2 so i had little to learn from other's mistakes. My experience at later integration course was nice, having a group of 15+ and could learn a lot from others. I had lot of exercises (sometime overwhelming). Here, they recommended Schritte plus series of language books. I dont have experience from other language schools. I have received mixed reviews on Volkshochschule. Good luck!

On 1/26/2018, 7:46:00, Orgo said:

hi which was the one near to your place. i'm lookin gout for a school which has evening classes. 

hard to find one vhs, berlitz donest have can you recommend any 

I would not suggest Berlitz to anyone. It is a business not a learning institution. 

My best suggestion is The Goethe Institute or a smaller language school that has good reviews. 

I have attended two different Deutsch language courses with two different teachers at Berlitz and it just gets worse with each year. 

In a nutshell the teachers are in my opinion* underpaid, demotivated, disinterested, judgemental, rude and controlling. They treat the adults they teach like children they can “police” or control. 

I really shook things up there exercising my democratic rights, something I learned first hand growing up in South Africa during the Nelson Mandela Era. Sadly many non Germans attending these  courses are bullied / silenced into submissivness / being treated like rubbish. 

Berlitz only cares about money, their course books don’t even have corrections in them. 

Read the reviews on Google, many students have taken the time to review learning institutions and my recommendation is Goethe. Goethe even reply to reviews that’s how good they are. 

I hope this helps. 

On 2/22/2018, 5:23:49, tfernandes said:

hi which was the one near to your place. i'm lookin gout for a school which has evening classes. 

hard to find one vhs, berlitz donest have can you recommend any 

Sorry for late response. I am only familiar with schools in Harburg. The one I went was Taimakoo e.V in Harburg. 

Colon used to be the middle of the road one for people not rich but who are motivated. Goethe is considered best but costs a lot.

On 28.2.2018, 19:46:27, ALLalone said:

I would not suggest Berlitz to anyone. It is a business not a learning institution. 

My best suggestion is The Goethe Institute or a smaller language school that has good reviews. 

I have attended two different Deutsch language courses with two different teachers at Berlitz and it just gets worse with each year. 

In a nutshell the teachers are in my opinion* underpaid, demotivated, disinterested, judgemental, rude and controlling. They treat the adults they teach like children they can “police” or control. 

I really shook things up there exercising my democratic rights, something I learned first hand growing up in South Africa during the Nelson Mandela Era. Sadly many non Germans attending these  courses are bullied / silenced into submissivness / being treated like rubbish. 

Berlitz only cares about money, their course books don’t even have corrections in them. 

Read the reviews on Google, many students have taken the time to review learning institutions and my recommendation is Goethe. Goethe even reply to reviews that’s how good they are. 

I hope this helps. 

You are spot-on about Berlitz. They basically grind their "instructors", who are terminally underpaid and looking for something else. Goethe, on the other hand, is over-the-top expensive. In my opinion and experience, one can achieve an excellent grounding in German with personal initiative. For me, classes are largely a waste of time (I would expect the same for those already living in Germany). There are so many digital and face-to-face resources for language learning, available online and free of charge, that I am surprised by the popularity of other methods. Find native German speakers as tandem partners, read a lot, listen a lot, and transcribe a lot.

(I should also add:  Never "integrate". Deutschland hat schon zu viele Roboter.)

16 minutes ago, Wertewandel said:

For me, classes are largely a waste of time

16 minutes ago, Wertewandel said:

Find native German speakers as tandem partners, read a lot, listen a lot, and transcribe a lot.

All good suggestions but you might end up with a very passive knowledge of German unless the tandem partners are good at correcting your mistakes (in which case it's not much different from a class)

Good points. With tandem partners there is a modicum of „ground rules“ so we both benefit. 

The interact-as-much-as-possible-with-native-speakers approach is not for everybody, but it fits me like a Savile Row suit . . .

@Wertewandel, I agree with you and also prefer learning methods that are current and have in fact had much success as well as built speaking confidence through various options that you have suggested over the last few months. My mini job and making friends was my biggest educator. 

In the classroom all over germany for foreigners, we are rushed through learning material and work is corrected, but no one understands why or really gets a grasp of the language unless they are either studying through a university and have Deutsch as a supplementary course, taught by real teachers not people who do a short course and then are “teachers” . 

Of course everyone’s experience is individual and if anyone has anything to add about a great language school or alternative method of learning it would go a long way in helping as we are all different and learn differently.