German course for the workplace

14 posts in this topic

I’ve just signed up for a course at Berlitz in Frankfurt called “Deutsch für den Beruf.” Its how to communicate more effectively verbally and in written form, in the workplace.

If anyone’s interested it’s a 5 day course starting on 26th February and costs 359 Euro. It’s also accepted as Bildungsurlaub.

I don't work for Berlitz and I wouldn’t normally advertise for them, it’s just that they need at least 4 participants for the course to start it and at the moment i'm the only one.

In 5 days the only thing that you will learn is how did you've spent 359 euros for a course.

Viel Spaß.

My humble opinion.

2 hours ago, Joe Strummer said:

. It’s also accepted as Bildungsurlaub.

Actually this is very useful!  I have struggled to find places that do German as Bildingurlaub in Hessen.  I could only find Sprachtreff who done this.

The price seems right for me, such intensive courses are about this price for 5 days, so this seems about right to me.

I'm doing the course as Bildungsurlaub or should I say Bildungsfreistellung. 5 extra days paid holiday. Whats not to like?

Just now, Joe Strummer said:

I'm doing the course as Bildungsurlaub or should I say Bildungsfreistellung. 5 extra days paid holiday. Whats not to like?

It is only worth it if the course is good (or do you hate your job?).

Berlitz does not seem to be very picky when it comes to hiring English teachers (i.e. some of the teachers they've hired are not able to properly write English), however, I'm not sure if their German courses are better.

I took a C2 course through the VHS in Berlin two years ago and it was excellent (it was also subsidised and really cheap). You might want to see whether your VHS offers any interesting courses as well.

As DJ Smith said, it's quite hard to find a German course in this area which you can take as Bildungsurlaub.

I had a look at the VHS but unfortuantely there are no courses.

Sorry to jump in to a topic and change it slightly, but is there anything in the FFM area along the lines of a conversational German course? 

When I was relocated here, my requests for language assistance were met with an unhelpful "The office language is English, if you need help outside of work just buy your own Rosetta Stone like everyone else".

Unfortunately, this means that I am speaking broken German with a very very strong London accent, and whilst people seem to find it amusing at first, at some point the Post Office / bank staff / Cafe Wacker people are going to get annoyed by it. My employer might run an English speaking office, but I have to live here as well as work here

3 hours ago, Mackle said:

Sorry to jump in to a topic and change it slightly, but is there anything in the FFM area along the lines of a conversational German course? 

When I was relocated here, my requests for language assistance were met with an unhelpful "The office language is English, if you need help outside of work just buy your own Rosetta Stone like everyone else".

Unfortunately, this means that I am speaking broken German with a very very strong London accent, and whilst people seem to find it amusing at first, at some point the Post Office / bank staff / Cafe Wacker people are going to get annoyed by it. My employer might run an English speaking office, but I have to live here as well as work here

Nth + to the Volkshochschule.

Your alternative might be to fork out for a CD / online language course, study alone or with a friend and make a resolution only to hang out with German speakers this year :-)

3 hours ago, Mackle said:

Having said that, I know a private tutor who's good. Message me if you want his details. He's more pricy than the Goethe Institut but he is motivated and knows his stuff. Has an online offering too.

I did the course with Berlitz in Darmstadt over a year ago - I found it good. 5 full days of speaking German - it does help you to break through. I speak English home and at work. The course helped me to get more confidence in speaking myself.

In fact, I would be very interested in taking the 2 weeks for Bildungsurlaub course (I carried over to this year the last year's allowance).