Gyms in Berlin contracts per month rather than per year

10 posts in this topic

Does anyone know of any gyms that charge you per month? or rather, gyms that do not make you sign up for a years membership and offer shorter time scales - monthly, bi monthly etc. I have been looking and it seems quite hard to find one. I have heard the tales of gyms letting you out of your year's membership if you show a return flight.. but I am not going to do that. My current yearly contract is soon to be up.

Thanks

I think FitnessFirst has monthly memberships:

https://www.fitnessfirst.de/mitgliedschaft

(of course the site is only in German).

I was a member of Fitness Fitness until my gym closed, and then moved to FitX. I like FitX much better, and while the contract is only annual, it is much cheaper than Fitness First so it is kind of a wash.

52 minutes ago, SomeSpace said:

Does anyone know of any gyms that charge you per month? or rather, gyms that do not make you sign up for a years membership and offer shorter time scales - monthly, bi monthly etc. I have been looking and it seems quite hard to find one. I have heard the tales of gyms letting you out of your year's membership if you show a return flight.. but I am not going to do that. My current yearly contract is soon to be up.

Thanks

A return flight is unlikely to be accepted as proof that you're moving (how do you prove that it's a "return" flight?). The Abmeldung can work but it depends on the gym's policy

Most of my family joined McFit, which claims that they let you cancel if you move out of their area. We are about to try it with a visiting friend who is leaving in a month. They are cheap and no-frills but good. 

45 minutes ago, FreelanceFamily said:

Most of my family joined McFit, which claims that they let you cancel if you move out of their area. We are about to try it with a visiting friend who is leaving in a month. They are cheap and no-frills but good. 

Though it is not always that straightforward.  So you need to tell them, and then send them proof (new Anmeldbestatigung and new rental agreement).  And some consider 40 km near enough to keep going.  And if you join a fitness studio with a a contract with a minimum running time, with full knowledge that you plan to move soon, or have a job that is likely to make this necessary, you may have to keep paying for a while.  In these cases it would be safer to get a more expensive contract that is easier to cancel. 

Though I would guess individual studios vary on how bolshy they are!

Apparently there are some changes to Vertragsrecht, Contract Law, from January 1, 2022, said to favor and improve the situation of consumers/customers.

A bit complicated, not sure I understand them. Besides, I do not belong to a gym.

You can always try to negotiate an arrangement with a gym that deviates from their standard policies before you sign a contract. That's what I did and I was quite happy with what we agreed on.

On 30/12/2021, 17:42:57, Fietsrad said:

Apparently there are some changes to Vertragsrecht, Contract Law, from January 1, 2022, said to favor and improve the situation of consumers/customers.

A bit complicated, not sure I understand them. Besides, I do not belong to a gym.

https://www.tagesschau.de/wirtschaft/das-aendert-sich-2022-fuer-verbraucher-101.html

According to the linked info contracts signed from 1st of March will have a 1 month rather than 3 month notice period and they will automatically roll over for 1 month at a time, not one year, if I understand it correctly. Insurance contracts are excluded. I am not a lawyer, and I detest working out and jogging, though I do both intermittently, but not at a gym.

20 hours ago, arsenal21 said:

https://www.tagesschau.de/wirtschaft/das-aendert-sich-2022-fuer-verbraucher-101.html

According to the linked info contracts signed from 1st of March will have a 1 month rather than 3 month notice period and they will automatically roll over for 1 month at a time, not one year

Be aware though that this only applies to the end of your contract. It doesn't mean you can't be held liable for the first 24 months should you have signed a 24 months contract.