Rules for increasing the rent

45 posts in this topic

21 minutes ago, maurice74 said:

but can the tenant reply with a bargain ? like that he proposes 15% instead ?

In some towns the max is set to 15%. If the town doesn't limit it, then it's max 20% every 3 years.

To find out the actual Mietspiegel for your area, ask at the Rathaus. They should be able to tell you. You multiply with your sq m from your contract to figure out the max cold rent.

You should join the Mieterverein not just for this but for potential future problems. They can tell you what your rights are and help you deal with the landlord.

Of course you can suggest to the landlord that 20% is to much and that you would be happy with 15. Can't hurt to ask.

10 hours ago, MadAxeMurderer said:

She can, but I can not accept it. I'd be quite happy for her to move out. I make double the profit on my furnished apartments.

What's the deal? did you renovate the place in the meantime? Are you financially distressed? Did you plan poorly? Increasing the rent 20% in one go for no obvious reason besides "I could be making more money" is anti-social. Even if you try to justify it with inflation, we didn't have an average inflation of 3.2% per year in the last 6 years in Germany. BTW, I'm a landlord too, but I like to sleep peacefully at night knowing my tenants don't hate/despise/fear my guts.

Yes to some of those questions. None of your business to most of them.

Although I might as well tell you she's a social recipient and the rent is paid by the city.

So your taxes will go to further inflating my evil capitalist wallet.

6 minutes ago, MadAxeMurderer said:

Although I might as well tell you she's a social recipient and the rent is paid by the city.

Couldn't happen to a nicer guy. Mazel tov.

1 hour ago, MadAxeMurderer said:

That’s OK, I’m fine paying my due share of taxes. Otherwise I would move to the US or something where it’s much easier to be a slumlord. Good luck with your problems. 

Although I might tell you that wishing she finds it too expensive and moves out contradicts her getting all the rental paid from the state. Just pick a lie and stick with it next time.