Central Frankfurt English speakers with school age kids?

4 posts in this topic

Is there any support group or social meeting in central Frankfurt for native English speaking families to help give the kids an environment where English spoken in a natural, unforced way? I know about some great groups that are based a little further out but what about the city and west areas? I don't mean parent/toddler/baby groups but primarily for younger school kids who need to practice their English.

Have you considered English-speaking scouts (US Girl Scouts, Cub Scouts, or some other Anglophone scouting outfit)? Both have programs beginning at age 5. Participating in Anglophone scouting would allow your kids to do fun stuff in English "spoken in a natural, unforced way".  I don't have details but I'm pretty sure there are US Girl Scout troops and Cub dens in Frankfurt though perhaps not as centrally located as you are. Contact the folks at Edelweiss District of Boy Scouts Transatlantic Council and USAGSO for Girl Scouts to find out more. 

If you're interested in Anglophone scouting in general, and if it's an option for you to go a bit further afield, Wiesbaden has lots of scouting opportunities and groups.

There may be sports activities that happen in English in your area, too.  Baseball and American football - where available - are often coached in English.  The same may be true of arts offerings for young ones, should your kids be keen on visual arts or dance or whatever.  Anglophone religious institutions may also have regularly-meeting youth groups or Sunday schools or whatever... You might be surprised about the extent of English-language activities on offer, many of which are not widely advertised but become known to folks once they're already in a Verein or dance school or whatever.

Good luck! 

22 hours ago, liebling said:

Have you considered English-speaking scouts (US Girl Scouts, Cub Scouts, or some other Anglophone scouting outfit)? Both have programs beginning at age 5. Participating in Anglophone scouting would allow your kids to do fun stuff in English "spoken in a natural, unforced way".  I don't have details but I'm pretty sure there are US Girl Scout troops and Cub dens in Frankfurt though perhaps not as centrally located as you are. Contact the folks at Edelweiss District of Boy Scouts Transatlantic Council and USAGSO for Girl Scouts to find out more. 

If you're interested in Anglophone scouting in general, and if it's an option for you to go a bit further afield, Wiesbaden has lots of scouting opportunities and groups.

There may be sports activities that happen in English in your area, too.  Baseball and American football - where available - are often coached in English.  The same may be true of arts offerings for young ones, should your kids be keen on visual arts or dance or whatever.  Anglophone religious institutions may also have regularly-meeting youth groups or Sunday schools or whatever... You might be surprised about the extent of English-language activities on offer, many of which are not widely advertised but become known to folks once they're already in a Verein or dance school or whatever.

Good luck! 

Thanks for ideas! The scouting folks already reached out to me :-)

any more specific expamles are still welcome!