Pet Health certificate

4 posts in this topic

I need to get a Health certificate issued by a 'Competent Authority' from the 'animals country of origin' to take our dog to Portugal.

We live in France so am already trying to track down the correct authorities there but our dog was born in Germany so would like to find the same authority in Germany just in case I need one from there also/instead.

I know the address for the required authority in the UK so know that getting it from a vet is not good enough. Does anyone know where in Germany that they issue this certificate?

Thanks

I think you will find that the country of origin in these cases usually means the country from where they are being moved from. In your case France. You will have to get the certificate from one of the government vets, they are usually listed on the Agriculture and Fisheries web sites, France has one, but I dont speak french! Or your local vet should be able to tell you.

Hi Corinne,

I investigated this a while ago as we constantly drive back to the UK with our dogs. This is an intra-EU journey as yours is to Portugal (albeit yours is semi-permanent - I don't believe there is a difference). The health certificate is, I believe, the one that should be able to be done by any vet - not just the government approved vet.

It has to be done between 24 and 48 hours from the travel time i.e if your ferry is at 10 pm Friday night, the health cert. has to be signed, dated and timed at some time between 22.01 Wednesday and 21.59 Thursday. Sorry to be so precise but we almost came a cropper after taking the scenic route to Calais. I guess that the drive to Portugal is a long one (with a stopover?), so you need to be bit cpotentiallyareful about timing especially as you cross to Spain and Portugal. You should show it at all EU borders although we have never been asked when crossing between Schengen countries or when crossing from Germany to Austria.

Our local government-approved vet is some way away and has very limited Sprechstunde, making it difficult to time it correctly. Our local 'unapproved' vet was happy to sign the forms and hand out the worming/tick treatment (all of this is now recorded in their passports rather than a separate form).

I believe that the government approved vets have the responsibility for the blood tests following the rabies jabs and used to be the authority that issued all the certificates apart from the health certificate. Since the pet passport scheme came in last year, our local vet has been allowed to issue passports under his/her authority but the blood tests still have to be checked by his/her office.

I hope this helps

Thanks for the info. Now have a lot more info to discuss with the vet. It is always easier if you know something to ask.

Not sure how the 24/28 hour thing is going to work passing over two boarders. Tried the RAC route planner and that has given us 33 hours allowing for no stops...The destination sure as hell better be worth this trip, I wonder if the Eurostar would make a detour? :D