Deregistering car with only plates

4 posts in this topic

I have a three questions:

Has anyone unregistered a vehicle (because of moving abroad) with only the plates but without the part 1 and part 2 papers?

When does the no-claims bonus become valid? when you get the renewal letter or the date it actually renews?

Has anyone got their no-claims bonus  letter translated to English?

Background: I left Germany, took my slightly crappy van with me as it actually works very well (thanks HU/AU) and was perfect for moving all my stuff with me. I then re-registered my van in Jersey, got new plates, registration documents and insurance.  Jersey authorities took the German part 1 and part 2 papers, which they said they just keep.

I would now like to unregister my van in Germany, as I don´t want to pay double insurance in Germany and Jersey. I happen to be in Germany this Christmas and hope to just take the plates in, they cancel everything including insurance, then I get money back. But I read that I need the papers too, which Jersey won´t give me. 

Just to make it more complicated: my insurance will renew on the first of January 2018, going up to SF Klasse 3. So I don´t want to cancel just before that and lose the extra year No claims because of two days. Should I try and wait till January to cancel?

Also, my Jersey insurance company will only accept an English letter with no claims discount on it. Hence the last question.

Thanks.

Whern I tried to deregister a car without the papers (Fahrzeugschein in those days) it was impossible. I had to declare it lost, pay something like around € 10.- (IIRC) for a replacement and only with that I could deregister.

As far as I know there is a form you could get from your insurance company which allows to transfer your no claim bonus within the EU. But your old contract needs to have been terminated before it is issued.

Well, I just went to the Amt, with the plates and my registration document from Jersey. The guy was friendly but also very surprised as he had never seen a registration document from Jersey and it was not in their system (everywhere else in Europe is, guess as Jersey is not part of EU they aren´t integrated into system). But they just took a copy, took the plates, then it was done in 5 minutes, cost €7.50. Now I am just waiting for the letter from the car insurance company. Seems pretty easy so far.