Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Anyone know a computer repair person?

12 posts in this topic

I am a gamer and I am running a decent mid-range gaming PC but all of a sudden it is crashing really badly when I play games on it. I do not know much about computers and I am looking for someone, preferably one who speaks some English, who can come troubleshoot what is wrong with my machine. I am looking for someone who charges a reasonable price for doing so.

When you say it crashes, do you get a blue screen with an error code on it? That might help pinpoint the issue.

I used to game with an EVGA 460X2 card, which would bring the PC down. EVGA replaced it with another one, which started to do the same a month later. They then replaced it with a 780SC which resolved the issues.

Assuming your OS build is solid and you don't have any quirky things running, it's likely to be CPU, memory, motherboard or GPU. You can test memory by using something like Prime94 which is a number crunching app - run Prime94, and see if PC crashes. If it does, remove DIMMS and test just one at a time.

Not much anyone can do here (over the forum) without more info.

If you know next to nothing about dealing with the hardware and troubleshooting potential software issues, you are either going to have to invest a lot of time or take your comp to someone.

It is very hard to do this kind of thing over an internet forum without the background knowledge required. 

@ Mr Bear - if you were in Frankfurt then I would say yes but I see you are not. I am sure that there are enough computer people in Frankfurt that I do not need to pay someone to come from far away, but thanks for the offer.

@ SpiderPig - Thanks, I will check the forum out.

@ everyone else - No I don't get the blue screen of death. When I start a game it runs for anywhere between 30 seconds and a few minutes before the entire screen goes grey with vertical white stripes and I get a buzzing from the speakers. Then I have to turn the computer off for 10-15 minutes before I can turn it on again.

I am running an Intel i5 4570 with windows 10 64 bit, I have 16gb of RAM. The graphics card is an AMD Radeon card but I cannot be more specific until I am home.

I am not sure if the issue is hardware or software. I thought it might be my graphics card but my colleague at work thinks it is software. I don't see how that is possible though. Everything was fine and then it wasn't and no software was installed or updated in the time between.

I would start more basically than that and check to make sure your RAM and hard drive are properly connected. Also, do you share this PC with any other users? How up-to-date is your antivirus/malware? 

22 minutes ago, LostManAbroad said:

Then I have to turn the computer off for 10-15 minutes before I can turn it on again.

If a crash has a "memory effect" aka "persistency after reboot" and a "cooling off period" is needed, it is what it is, a heat problem.

Open the case, and look for accumulated dust clouds. Clean that...

Plug the PC on, do all the fans work? Switch the PC on and off several times. Do all the fans get going all the time, or is there a fan that gets "stuck" once in a while? Do they all turn well with a good speed? Putting a small cable tie into a fan and listening to the "rattle snake" like noise usually gives an indication whether the fan still has the stamina to cool down the parts it is supposed to cool down.

Yeah this latest behaviour description definitely sounds heat related. Could be a heat-sink has come loose or is blocked with dust as franklan said. Could even be that a part is not soldered properly and the board is warping with heat and you lose some connection internally.

You should definitely get a simple diagnostic running where you can see the heat of the processors (including graphics).

A heat issue is what I first thought but that is definitely not it. Before I started up any games, I started up a piece of hardware monitoring software that I got hold of that showed the condition of all the components in the computer in real time as they run. I then started up a game and watched the different components temperatures. They did rise for sure but the computer crashed before anything had the chance to get overly hot. The hottest component was my CPU but it only reached 62 degrees before the computer crashed. I have seen it get hotter than that back when the computer used to run fine.

I have also checked the connection of my RAM and hard drives and they seem fine. The one new issue I have noticed is that when the crash happens. I leave the computer for a while but even when I turn it back on again, it never seems to run first time I turn it on. The computer comes on but the backlighting of my keyboard does not come on as it normally does and neither of my monitors recognize that the computer has been turned on again. They both just display the "No Signal Detected" display. It is only when I push the reset button a couple times that the backlighting of the keyboard comes on and the boot up screen of the computer comes up on my monitors.

Today I decided to make sure it was not a software issue so I completely reset my computer by wiping all programs and reinstalling windows. The only thing that did not get wiped were my personal documents. I then reinstalled a few standard programs like Google Chrome, VLC Media Player and Steam for running games. I then tried to run a game and straight away the computer crashed.

The other thing I find weird is that every time that it has crashed, the screen seems to turn a different colour. The first time it crashed the screen was grey with lighter grey vertical lines on it. Once it crashed and the screen just went black. Once it went brown, once beige. It is strange that it always seems to crash in the same way but the colour is different. Anyone know what that could mean?

Google "beige screen of death". Most common recommendation is to update your graphics drivers.