Nicest place to live in DE

21 posts in this topic

Good 'morrow to you all.

I'm a new member here and this is my first post, so please be gentle.

I have a rather nice problem about relocating to DE next year (2018). When my house sells here in the UK I plan on moving to Germany and my problem is where to move to! I have seen many threads about where to live in <insert city name here> here but not about the whole country.

Everyone is different so I know that there are many answers so here is some basic information about myself that I hope will help:

1. Firstly my mother is German and I have good conversational German (with a Bavarian accent apparently!) I used to be able to read the Süddeutsche Zeitung. I used to have family (grandparents) in southern Bavaria but no more, so no family to attract me to a specific area. Culturally I don't see it as a problem to fit in. Lack of decent tea and no cricket are a hurdle I'll have to overcome.
  2. Passport wise I'm British and Brexit is weighing on my mind.
  3. I'm male, mid-40's, single, with 2 hounds, so have no immediate family needs like schools to take into account.
  4. Professionally I'm self-employed in the software industry so don't need to find a job when I move as I will continue to do what I do now but will need decent internet connectivity.

Basically I have a carte-blanche to move to anywhere in DE. The plan is to purchase a home with the equity from my UK home so won't need a mortgage (never again!). I'm a country bumpkin at heart so village/small town life is preferred. I love the mountains. I'm looking to get away from the windy, wet climate in the UK.

Places I've considering are:

Schwartzwald

Bayern - anything south of Munich is crazily priced otherwise I'd be going there and wouldn't be writing this post.

Berlin area - I love going there as I feel it's so chilled but also expensive.

Sachsen - close to the Czech border, cheap but too remote from an airport and I've heard the locals are difficult.

Harz mountains - I used to have a great aunt who lived there but it is sooooo boring.

Südtirol , I know it's not DE but it's German speaking but unfortunately run by Italians.

What would be your advice? As Princess Leia said, "Help me, Obi-Wan Kenobi."

Winnebago aka Wyn

Welcome to TT!

If you speak with a Bavarian accent, I would naturally say that you should move to Bavaria, as you will fit in relatively easily, but then, I only need to travel about 10km and they speak differently to how they do where I live, so maybe not!

I think you should take a long "holiday", or even a working holiday, and do some travelling around Germany to find a place that suites you - there was somebody on here a little while ago asking about spending 6 months in areas with good internet connections, so maybe look for that thread, as I think there were some good suggestions made.

Other than that, good luck, and let us know where you land!

I'm not Obi-Wan, but very close 😀. Foreigners are not easily accepted in smaller Bavarian towns. The local dialect is important and the participation in different clubs.

May the Force guide you in your decision.

I´m originally from Northern Bavaria and in the rural areas of it prices are a lot cheaper than South of Munich. Quality of life is also decent in terms of beergardens, bicycle pathways, fields/forests to walk your dogs, have them swim next to you while canooeing etc. Take a look at the Bamberg area for example. You could always rent first to test the water and buy later if you´re sure you like it. Sometimes though there are still restrictions with regard to the internet speed. You´d need to check that.

Hi Winnebago, 

First of I want to wish you luck in your endeavours! Relocating is a huge step but I am sure you will like it here, especially since you already know the language. 

A word of advice. Since you are working from home and are dependent on a solid internet connection please do triple check in advance what are the available speeds at the address you plan to move to (when you decide). In a lot of villages internet is still delivered via copper cables with maximum speeds of up to 2mbps (ca. 0.25 mb/s). Chances are that in villages close to a major city you will get up to 16 or even 50. However, 100 mbit and up are only available in cities (larger towns) as far as I know.

Nah...

100Mbps is available in my village ( 123 houses) from MyQuix..

400Mbps is available from vodafone or Unity media over coax..

10Mpbs via telekom..

So... there is no fixed rules for internet..

Westerwald... Geissen... Lahn areas are beautiful and affordable!

my 3 cents:

Berlin - I don't like the politics of the senate in Berlin. Too much crime.

Sachsen - too far away from everything, especially if you consider towns close to the Czech border

Harz - in the middle of nowhere

Bavaria - there is a reason, why it's so expensive, good quality of life, a large airport is close by, short drive to Italy

possibly you should also check Lake Constance, nice view over the lake and the Swiss alps are close by, disadvantage: very crowded in summer, it's a holiday location, long drives to the next airport

Thanks everyone for your responses. 

I'm now looking at potential renovation properties. Any thoughts?

I would not move further south- love the north, the sea and Scandinavian neighbours.

In Meck-Pom, there seem to be properties in need of renovation.

20 hours ago, RedMidge said:

I would not move further south- love the north, the sea and Scandinavian neighbours.

In Meck-Pom, there seem to be properties in need of renovation.

Hi RedMidge,

I have to admit to looking at some places on Ruegen.

What's the climate like? I'm trying to get away from the grey and damp of the UK.

Cheers

On 12/15/2017, 9:03:31, Winnebago said:

I'm a country bumpkin at heart so village/small town life is preferred. I love the mountains. I'm looking to get away from the windy, wet climate in the UK.

If you can afford it, Freiburg should fit your bill.

Ruegen is wet and windy, but nice for people who like the ocean.

What about Austria and Switzerland?

1 minute ago, Smaug said:

If you can afford it, Freiburg should fit your bill.

Ruegen is wet and windy, but nice for people who like the ocean.

AT and CH? I'd pass the intelligence test so they'd deport me.

(For those who think like a German, I'm joking).

29 minutes ago, Winnebago said:
32 minutes ago, Smaug said:

AT and CH? I'd pass the intelligence test so they'd deport me.

If you don't mind the weather, pick Schaerding, Austria. They are used to forreigners, is on the border to Germany.

Has dtz of golf courses within 20km. a university (Passau), Breweries, fresh air and long walks and fahrraeder lanes, The local Most if you can stand the potency,

and when the new road is finished, an hour to the Munich airport. Crowds are not bad and Bad Griesbach is close by in case you are a big shot or want to rub shoulders with them.

I'd move to Freiburg anytime. It's close to Switzerland, a hop over the border to France, airport not too far away, not too big a place, not too small.  And it always seems to get the nicest weather whenever I'm watching ARD at 2014 - yep, Frieburg sunny and warm again...

Bayern - anything south of Munich is crazily priced otherwise I'd be going there and wouldn't be writing this post.

Bayern is bigger than that.

If you want to be near an airport, think about Memmingen and surroundings: it's a lowcost airport which will bring you to many places in Europe. Two autobahns also merge near Memmingen, the Allgäu mountains are nearby.

Otherwise think about Regensburg: it's a capital of the poorest region of Bavaria, the Oberpfalz, yet very nice and has a university. Munich is not far away.

If you are up to moving further north as jeba suggested, then, yes: Bamberg, Würzburg, Aschaffenburg are the nice place to live in.

Sachsen - close to the Czech border, cheap but too remote from an airport and I've heard the locals are difficult.

If Czech Republic is so important to you you better move to Prague :)

Otherwise you can get to Prague from Regensburg in 2 hours, no need to live in Saxony.