Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Health insurance for 46 year old PhD student who was laid off from call center

31 posts in this topic

41 minutes ago, solomongrundy said:

About TKK letting me out of the contract, don t I have the right to terminate it with two months notice since I am in a voluntary contract and not bound by the 18 month clause?

You still haven't properly understood the problem. You are resident in Germany and are required to have German (or BaFin-approved foreign) health insurance. The TK is not allowed to release you from the contract unless you provide proof that you have comprehensive insurance. Both Mawista and Care Concept are not approved fully comprehensive policies.

What s the definition of a newcomer? Does it mean that since I am in Germany for a long time I don t qualify?)

It means less than 5 years in Germany.

BTW, did you read the Terms and Conditions for the policy to which you linked?

From Care Concept:

§ 1 Versicherbare Personen und Versicherungsfähigkeit

Soweit nicht etwas anderes vereinbart ist, gilt:

Versichert sind die im Versicherungsschein namentlich genannten Personen, für welche die vereinbarte Prämie bezahlt wurde.

Versicherungsfähig sind Personen bis zur Vollendung des 80. Lebensjahres (80. Geburtstag), sofern

diese sich nur vorübergehend im Ausland aufhalten und

bei Abschluss des Versicherungsvertrages das 75. Lebensjahr (vor dem 75. Geburtstag) noch nicht vollendet haben (Höchsteintrittsalter).

Nicht versicherbar und trotz Beitragszahlung nicht versichert sind Personen, die

bei Abschluss des Versicherungsvertrages, bzw. der Verlängerung des Versicherungsschutzes durch einen rechtlich eigenständigen Anschlussvertrag das 75. Lebensjahr (75. Geburtstag) vollendet haben;

in der Bundesrepublik Deutschland einer gesetzlichen Kranken- und/oder Pflegeversicherungspflicht unterliegen bzw. deren Versicherungsaufnahme gegen geltendes Recht des Aufenthaltslandes verstößt;

Leistungssport betreiben oder im Rahmen ihres Auslandsaufenthaltes eine körperliche Tätigkeit in einem der in Anlage 1aufgelisteten Berufe bzw. eine sportliche Tätigkeit gegen Entgelt ausüben. Die Anlage 1 ist Bestandteil dieser Bedingungen;

dauernd pflegebedürftig sind. Pflegebedürftig ist, wer für die Verrichtung des täglichen Lebens überwiegend fremder Hilfe bedarf;

zum Zeitpunkt der Antragstellung bei dem Versicherer bzw. der Care Concept AG während der Dauer ihres befristeten Aufenthaltstitels in der Bundesrepublik Deutschland einen oder mehrere aufeinander folgende Krankenversicherungsverträge gemäß § 195 Abs. 3 VVG abgeschlossen hatten, deren Gesamtversicherungsdauer einen Zeitraum von 5 Jahren überschritten hat. Dies gilt auch dann, wenn mehrere aufeinander folgende Verträge bei unterschiedlichen Versicherungsgesellschaften bestanden haben;

sich bei Antragstellung bereits länger als 12 Monate durchgehend im Ausland aufhalten, wenn sie während dieser Zeit nicht bei einer gesetzlichen oder privaten Kranken- oder Reise-Krankenversicherung versichert waren;

illegal in das Aufenthaltsland eingereist sind bzw. sich dort illegal aufhalten.

Bei laufenden Verträgen endet die Versicherungsfähigkeit versicherter Personen, die sich im Rahmen eines befristeten Aufenthaltstitels in der Bundesrepublik Deutschland aufhalten, mit Erreichen einer Gesamtversicherungsdauer von 5 Jahren aller aufeinander folgenden Kranken-Versicherungsverträge im Sinne des § 195 Abs. 3 VVG, auch soweit diese bei anderen Versicherungsgesellschaften abgeschlossen wurden.

Die Versicherungsfähigkeit entfällt auch dann, wenn die betreffende Person die Staatsangehörigkeit des Reiselandes erworben hat oder ihren ständigen Wohnsitz in das Reiseland verlegt hat, ohne einen Rückkehrwillen zu haben.

The law that prevents you from being exempted from comprehensive insurance for more than 5 years even if you are still a student:

§ 195 Versicherungsdauer

Gesetz über den Versicherungsvertrag (Versicherungsvertragsgesetz - VVG)
§ 195 Versicherungsdauer

(1) Die Krankenversicherung, die ganz oder teilweise den im gesetzlichen Sozialversicherungssystem vorgesehenen Kranken- oder Pflegeversicherungsschutz ersetzen kann (substitutive Krankenversicherung), ist vorbehaltlich der Absätze 2 und 3 und der §§ 196 und 199 unbefristet. Wird die nicht substitutive Krankenversicherung nach Art der Lebensversicherung betrieben, gilt Satz 1 entsprechend.

(2) Bei Ausbildungs-, Auslands-, Reise- und Restschuldkrankenversicherungen können Vertragslaufzeiten vereinbart werden.

(3) Bei der Krankenversicherung einer Person mit befristetem Aufenthaltstitel für das Inland kann vereinbart werden, dass sie spätestens nach fünf Jahren endet. Ist eine kürzere Laufzeit vereinbart, kann ein gleichartiger neuer Vertrag nur mit einer Höchstlaufzeit geschlossen werden, die unter Einschluss der Laufzeit des abgelaufenen Vertrags fünf Jahre nicht überschreitet; dies gilt auch, wenn der neue Vertrag mit einem anderen Versicherer geschlossen wird.

ONLY if you have an adequate contract as a replacement and can  prove it! You MUST have health insurance and cannot be released from an existing contract without convincing your current provider you are in good new hands! Even those of us who also deal with legally acceptable private international insurances eg ALC; Cigna etc no longer even bother to try to switch people from public insurers to them..it just doesn´t work any more...but you never know..let us know what they all say!

I am a professional independent insurance broker and authorised advertiser. Contact me.

CIGNA is on the BaFin list of accredited insurers but again: it would not be cheaper than public insurance and no one can help you switch to it from public insurance.

I am a professional independent insurance broker and authorised advertiser. Contact me.

Ok here is what I found out

1. I can switch. I have to give two months notice. However, it s not easy to come back to TKK.

2. I could have switched two weeks after I was laid off.  Take private insurance then go back to public when I find a job.

3. There is no restriction if you are within the five year framework. So you can, for example, as I did as an university student who had AOK as part of my salary switch to Mawista, then again to AOK, (part of a job) then back to Mawista. However, after five years you have to have something that is equivalent to TKK.

4. CIGMA offered me 100 euros per month but with a condition that I have to pay some money on my own. Is that a good option.

Right now I am desperately looking for a job.

1 hour ago, solomongrundy said:

Ok here is what I found out

1. I can switch. I have to give two months notice. However, it s not easy to come back to TKK.

2. I could have switched two weeks after I was laid off.  Take private insurance then go back to public when I find a job.

3. There is no restriction if you are within the five year framework. So you can, for example, as I did as an university student who had AOK as part of my salary switch to Mawista, then again to AOK, (part of a job) then back to Mawista. However, after five years you have to have something that is equivalent to TKK.

4. CIGMA offered me 100 euros per month but with a condition that I have to pay some money on my own. Is that a good option.

Right now I am desperately looking for a job.

Born 1977? (according to your profile )...100 euros a month??? Pay some money on your own? You mean deductible? Must be a large one. You are not a spring chicken ( and nor am I, sigh ). 

Legally acceptáble. ok. But you may be hassled anyway without the Pflegepflichtversicherung and can anyone at CIGMA provide you with the back up Bescheinigung docs for the Ausländeramt?

Hope you can find a job, get public insurance and an end to all of this.

On 12/15/2017, 8:03:00, solomongrundy said:

Hi,

I am 36 years old, have been resident as a student in Germany since 2007 (Masters program) and just got laid off from my call center job which was my only source of income. I am now in the 9th year of my PhD, which has been delayed due to some personal issues. I intend to submit next year. Right now, being laid off,  I live on my savings. Before this job I was with Mawista for five years, but the job offered me TTK which I took. However, their lowest tariff is 170 euros per month. Currently I am looking for another job, but in the meanwhile can I opt for a cheap private insurance?

On 19/01/2018, 22:31:01, john g. said:

Pflegepflichtversicherung

Where can I see whether we have this? It doesn't mention anything on our documents. Perhaps we are exempt not being in the German system, or barely? :unsure:

If you are in the Swiss system and a cross border type of person, you can get away without Pflege normally. If it is not in your health insurance documents, then you don‘t have it! 
If the issue bothers you re maybe one day becoming incapacitated, you could check your current insurance documents as a whole and see if you have anything related to income protection, critical illnesses, accidents- whatever.