Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Health insurance for 36 year old PhD student who was laid off from call center

31 posts in this topic

Hi,

I am 46 years old, have been resident as a student in Germany since 2007 (Masters program) and just got laid off from my call center job which was my only source of income. I am now in the 9th year of my PhD, which has been delayed due to some personal issues. I intend to submit next year. Right now, being laid off,  I live on my savings. Before this job I was with Mawista for five years, but the job offered me TTK which I took. However, their lowest tariff is 170 euros per month. Currently I am looking for another job, but in the meanwhile can I opt for a cheap private insurance?

I´m afraid not...you can´t even go back to Mawista---public insurers won´t accept that. TK IS your best deal price-wise...no German private can come close to that at your age and they wouldn´t want your business anyway...

Disclaimer: I´m an independent insurance broker and official advertiser on Toytown ( I hope I´ve paid my latest bill! ):P

I am a professional independent insurance broker and authorised advertiser. Contact me.

Thanks John!

I talked to TK. They said that after my insurance ends (i was given two weeks notice), I have two more weeks to switch to private insurance and can go back to them if I got another job. That s what they told me in their office. However, I don t know about any alternative (Mawista already said that since I had been with them for five years, I cannot be insured with them any longer). That s why I am searching for anything that is substantially cheaper. 

6 minutes ago, solomongrundy said:

That s why I am searching for anything that is substantially cheaper. 

Understandable. But you won't find a cheaper solution and even more so no substantially cheaper solution. Real healthcare costs real money and you can feel lucky that it's only 170 with TK (even as a low income freelancer/self employed person you'd pay substantially more). Trust in John, no private insurance would want to have you, you are not attractive for them. Too old, to poor. 

12 minutes ago, solomongrundy said:

Thanks John!

I talked to TK. They said that after my insurance ends (i was given two weeks notice), I have two more weeks to switch to private insurance and can go back to them if I got another job. That s what they told me in their office. However, I don t know about any alternative (Mawista already said that since I had been with them for five years, I cannot be insured with them any longer). That s why I am searching for anything that is substantially cheaper. 

You can stay with them as a voluntary member.What nonsense did they tell you? They CANNOT kick you out.

I am a professional independent insurance broker and authorised advertiser. Contact me.

Listen to john g. 

German health insurers can't kick out their members, not even if they stop paying the premiums.

16 minutes ago, john g. said:

You can stay with them as a voluntary member.What nonsense did they tell you? They CANNOT kick you out.

tbh I didn't read this 

33 minutes ago, solomongrundy said:

They said that after my insurance ends (i was given two weeks notice), I have two more weeks to switch to private insurance and can go back to them if I got another job. That s what they told me in their office. 

as a threat to kick him out. I mean it's solomon who looks for another insurer and assumed he asked when he could leave TK ... Please clarify, solomomgrundy. Thanks.

Sorry if I was not clear. The person at TKK said that after my work period ended (after two weeks notice),  I had two more weeks to choose. I could stay with them. He did recommend that, but I had to move to a voluntary scheme and pay 170 per month. Or I could opt out and go for private insurance. I have two weeks to decide. 

32 minutes ago, solomongrundy said:

Sorry if I was not clear. The person at TKK said that after my work period ended (after two weeks notice),  I had two more weeks to choose. I could stay with them. He did recommend that, but I had to move to a voluntary scheme and pay 170 per month. Or I could opt out and go for private insurance. I have two weeks to decide. 

Thanks for clarifying, I got it right then and TK didn't threaten to kick you out. Stay with them and try to get a new job as soon as possible. Good luck!

1 hour ago, solomongrundy said:

Or I could opt out and go for private insurance. I have two weeks to decide. 

In order to opt out you need comprehensive health insurance (not Mawista and co!) and comprehensive health insurance costs more than 170€/month (and you'd have to find one willing to offer you coverage).

Do you still have a study permit?

41 minutes ago, solomongrundy said:

Yes, I still have a study permit, and I intend to go on the 18 month job search visa after.

What is your PhD on?

Hi

Care Concept is offering a cheap insurance for around 60 euros per month. 
Right now I am unemployed and therefore TKK switched me to voluntary insurance, but at around 180 a month, which is impossible for me to afford.

I understand that since I am voluntarily insured the usual 18 mth rule  does not apply to me. ( was insured from June 2017 when I began working at the call center. I quote another post on TT

https://www.toytowngermany.com/forum/topic/333670-only-4-more-days-to-cancel-your-insurance/

3.1. if you are voluntarily insured (i.e. with an income over the legal threshold or as self-employed) you can give notice at any time with two-month. The 18-month rule described above does not apply to you. This is often misinterpreted by German public insurances. 

Can I cancel the contract with TKK?

13 minutes ago, solomongrundy said:

You can only cancel the contract with TK if you provide proof that you have joined another COMPREHENSIVE health insurance. Care Concept is NOT sufficient.

As an international student, you are not eligible for welfare (ALG II / Hartz IV) either. If you want to remain in Germany you need to find a new job ASAP or find another source of funding.

Just now, engelchen said:

You can only cancel the contract with TK if you provide proof that you have joined another COMPREHENSIVE health insurance. Care Concept is NOT sufficient.

Hi

Care Concept is offering a cheap insurance for around 60 euros per month. 
Right now I am unemployed and therefore TKK switched me to voluntary insurance, but at around 180 a month, which is impossible for me to afford.

I understand that since I am voluntarily insured the usual 18 mth rule  does not apply to me. ( was insured from June 2017 when I began working at the call center.

thank you Engelchen. What does comprehensive mean? This is the health insurance that I am considering

http://www.care-concept.de/expatriates_eng.php?navilang=eng

And if I give them the proof am I bound by this 18 month period. TKK told me that since I was insured from June 2017 I am bound till Dec 2018 as I did not cancel it within two weeks after my job ended. However, from the post I quote I understand that public health insurance companies try to keep you in. Further, as a PhD student, there are limitations on the kinds of jobs I can take.

What does comprehensive mean? This is the health insurance that I am considering

http://www.care-concept.de/expatriates_eng.php?navilang=eng

It means that you can't opt for a travel/expatriate/cheap insurance policy (see §193 VVG for more info).

And if I give them the proof am I bound by this 18 month period. TKK told me that since I was insured from June 2017 I am bound till Dec 2018 as I did not cancel it within two weeks after my job ended. However, from the post I quote I understand that public health insurance companies try to keep you in.

As John already told you a few weeks ago, there are no cheaper private options for you. Public health insurance is the cheapest option you have.

Further, as a PhD student, there are limitations on the kinds of jobs I can take.

If you have a study permit under §16 AufenthG, you can work 120 days a year. If you can't find a job here and don't have any other funding, you might have to start considering going back home.  

The Care Concept offer is until 74 years of age and I can apply online.

At one point of time I was insured with AOK and switched to Mawista for around four years.

Can I not do the same again? Specifically my question is this---can I cancel the contract with TKK with two months notice and take the CareConcept, the same I did with Mawista, by applying online, given my status as a PhD student with no income right now?

Hello again, solomon! I´m 99% sure TK won´t let you of the contract for what is basically a glorified travel insurance. Secondly, CareConcept normally will only accept newcomers.

Why not just call TK and ask them if they will accept CareConcept in YOUR case and also ask CareConcept if they would accept YOU despite not being a newcomer?

Thanks John. I ll do that, and keep everyone informed. 

About TKK letting me out of the contract, don t I have the right to terminate it with two months notice since I am in a voluntary contract and not bound by the 18 month clause? That s my specific question.

What s the definition of a newcomer? Does it mean that since I am in Germany for a long time I don t qualify?)