Moving from Bremen to another German city - some questions

9 posts in this topic

Dear all,

Since next year I should move to another city here in Germany, I have some doubts that I would like to solve:

-do I have to go to the town hall and cancel my registration, or is it enough to register in the town hall of the new city?

-for what concern the TV-internet tax that I am already paying, is it foreseen only for Bremen and do I have to cancel it or will it be cancelled automatically once I will register in a new town?

-where can I find some boxes for relocating (Bauhaus?) and are there companies that do this? I don't have so much stuff but I leave in an apartment without elevator and I don't have a car, so I need someone to pick-up my things. Can I deduct the expenses in the tax declaration?

-other ideas/suggestions

Many thanks to whom will reply me.

When you register at your new location, the Rathaus or Landratsamt will take care of notifying your old location of your new location.

TV tax (GEZ) will not change.  With the new registration, the GEZ will know where you are.

The removal company can provide you boxes for your move if you wish to pack them yourself.  Otherwise, they will arrive with boxes.  Best to ask them for a review of your flat before the actual removal date so they can estimate the number of boxes required.

As for the tax deduction of a simple move (flat to flat), there is none, AFAIK, unless perhaps your employer is having you relocate.  If you're current flat is where you also work, that could also be different and a question for @PandaMunich

56 minutes ago, angychan said:

-where can I find some boxes for relocating (Bauhaus?) and are there companies that do this? I don't have so much stuff

OK, you don't have that much stuff, and you don't have a car...

- put an add on "Ebay Kleinanzeigen", something like "Suche Umzugskartons"

Then, the Newtown has a specific license plate, like "HH" for "Hamburg" or "H" for Hannover. It is very likely that there are students in Bremen who commute home to Newtown every weekend. So, go to the university parking lot(s), look for cars with the license plate of Newtown, and place a note behind the wiper:

"Student mit Auto als Umzugshelfer nach Newtown für Freittag, den xx.yy.2017 gesucht, Tel.: X/Y"

1 hour ago, angychan said:

I don't have so much stuff

Be aware that you might have more stuff than you realised once you actually try to put that stuff into boxes. Shelves and cupboards have magical properties, it's a fact.

example: looking around at my office, my initial guess would require about 8 boxes which would require about 2 car journeys. The reality, the contents would fill about 35 boxes plus a bunch of furniture and would probably not fit into a transit van.

3 minutes ago, toBnruG said:

Be aware that you might have more stuff than you realised once you actually try to put that stuff into boxes. Shelves and cupboards have magical properties, it's a fact.

Mmm maybe you are right. I have a lot of bags and shoes to pack... :D

Dear all,

Since next year I should move to another city here in Germany, I have some doubts that I would like to solve:

-do I have to go to the town hall and cancel my registration, or is it enough to register in the town hall of the new city?

Just register in the new city, that is all you need to do (called an Ummmeldung).

-for what concern the TV-internet tax that I am already paying, is it foreseen only for Bremen and do I have to cancel it or will it be cancelled automatically once I will register in a new town?

You have to tell GEZ of your address change. You can do this online, https://www.rundfunkbeitrag.de/

-where can I find some boxes for relocating (Bauhaus?) and are there companies that do this? I don't have so much stuff but I leave in an apartment without elevator and I don't have a car, so I need someone to pick-up my things. Can I deduct the expenses in the tax declaration?

Any DIY store has boxes. OBI, Bauhaus, Hornbach, whatever it is you guys have up north. Easiest is to buy boxes, pack your stuff, rent a van, get some friends and have a big old game of Tetris. Pay attention to what toBnruG said though, it's surprising how much stuff one can have. If you are moving far, you will only want to do one van load.

Getting a moving company to do it for you will cost a lot of dollar.

3 hours ago, angychan said:

Can I deduct the expenses in the tax declaration?

If you're moving to take up a job, i.e. either a new job, or your employer transferred you to the new city, you can claim for all the real moving expenses, plus an additional flat rate called Umzugspauschale of 764€ (if you move later than 1. March 2018, the amount will be higher but it hasn't been published yet) in line 46 of Anlage N (the 2018 version isn't yet available, but it will look the same).

If on the other hand your move has private reasons, you can only get back 20% of the pure labour costs of a moving company that you hire.

You claim for this by:

making sure you get an invoice from the moving company

paying that moving company's invoice by bank transfer

declaring 100% of the pure labour costs from that invoice in line 72 "haushaltsnahe Dienstleistungen" of the Mantelbogen ESt1A (again, the 2018 version isn't yet available).

18 minutes ago, PandaMunich said:

If you're moving to take up a job, i.e. either a new job, or your employer transferred you to the new city, you can claim for all the real moving expenses, plus an additional flat rate called Umzugspauschale of 764€ (if you move later than 1. March 2018, the amount will be higher but it hasn't been published yet) in line 46 of Anlage N (the 2018 version isn't yet available, but it will look the same).

If on the other hand your move has private reasons, you can only get back 20% of the pure labour costs of a moving company that you hire.

You claim for this by:

making sure you get an invoice from the moving company

paying that moving company's invoice by bank transfer

declaring 100% of the pure labour costs from that invoice in line 72 "haushaltsnahe Dienstleistungen" of the Mantelbogen ESt1A (again, the 2018 version isn't yet available).

Hi, thanks for the details. Well, the story is the following. I'm a consultant and for the first three months I will be there in "mobility". If everything will work as planned, the company in which I will be consultant should hire me after March, therefore I will definetively change my residence there. Since up to now I've lived in an apartment with forniture I don't have so many boxes to move (I guess 3-4 and 2 luggages). Maybe the better solution would be to rent a van and move my stuffs alone. Is it refoundable in case?

It's never "refundable", you just lower your taxable income by the moving costs. So you get to save:

personal_income_tax_rate * moving_costs

but not more than that.

Yours is option 1, don't forget to also claim for the additional Umzugspauschale.