Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Question regarding 1&1 home-internet set-up setp-by-step

7 posts in this topic

Dear all,

I have ordered 1&1 DSL internet to my new rented apt. Recently, I have received an e-mail from the company with introduction link before technician coming to install the internet.

(link: https://hilfe-center.1und1.de/how-to-videos-c85574/dsl-c85577/video-optimal-vorbereitet-auf-den-tag-der-dsl-schaltung-a795399.html)

I did some google translation and search on the forum about the installation process. Could you please verify my thinking and fill-in the gaps in my understanding of the situation.

1. before the technician comes in, basically I do not have to do anything; I might only confirm my phone number for contact through 1&1 Control-Center, is that correct? Is there anything else I should do in the Control-Center (e.g. confirm appointment?)

2. when the technician comes to my apt. he will check which line (telephone box) should be connected through the existing phone socket, right? I do not know where the box is and even how does it looks like, thus, will the technician know and have access to it? Is there anyone in particular I should contact about the access to box?

3. just in case, let's say, that the technician cannot find/access the box; what happens next? Is it possible to re-schedule appointment?

4. is there anything else technician will do before leaving? (check connection, check device)?

5. Is there anything in particular I should do by myself with the device (setting up?)

Thank you for your help in advance.

1. You don't need to confirm the appointment.

2. The technician might not know this. You should make sure to find both the TAE (phone socket in your aparment) as well as the APL (box in basement/utility room or on outer wall) and make sure you have free access to them. So move furniture and ask landlord for basement key etc. if necessary to access them.

They also ask you to have your name on the door bell (and put their sticker on it for increased visibility).

3. Yes, usually.

4. Maybe he will check DSL connection, maybe not.

5. You can unpack the router and connect it to the phone socket and also have a working connection to your PC (or whatever you use the Internet for) and enter http://fritz.box to access the web UI. Once the DSL connection is installed you can enter the "1&1 start code" via said URL. It is possible the technician will not come at all but do everything remotely - so you may want to check that yourself if you don't hear from him.

Thank you for your response. One more issue, is there English or maybe German (with photos) guide/instructions how to proceed with the router(point 5) from 1&1?

Assuming you have also ordered a router to rent and and depending on your package 1&1 normally use Fritz Box routers. There are one or two models possible but most likely a 7390 or 7490 and they normally come equipped with all the necessary cables.

If you use google.co.uk browser and google fritz box and the model number you should be able to find the operating instructions. Although your box interface will be in German the English version will help you to navigate your way around the interface and sub menus.

Hi mencjuzs

Regarding the point 2, like sneaker said before ask your landlord where the APL is. I made a mistake by assuming I've seen it and it turned out it wasn't the right one, they had to reschedule the appointment because we didn't have the key to the utility room which left me without internet for another 10 days. 

Once you receive everything, if you have any problems translating the instructions or connecting to the internet you can drop me a PM and I'll try to help you understand it. Make sure you drop it a bit in advance though (before the technician appointment, the router should arrive a few days before)