Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Form w-9

5 posts in this topic

Hello,

I am an American citizen living in Germany - I just opened up a new bank account and was asked to fill out a w-9 form. I have lived in Germany for many years and I am here on family grounds - not work.

So, on line 5/6, it asks for an address but only in an american format.

I have no current USA address-

What have other people done with this problem? Any and all help would be greatly appreciated!

They just want your German address.  I've never had any rejected because I did not follow an American address formatting with the number in front of the street name. 

You are encountering this issue because of FATCA. You are a US citizen and you are (could be) liable to pay the US taxes.  Boris Johnson was hit with a capital gains tax by the US when he sold his house in the UK.  Why?  because he is (was at that time) a US citizen.  I would speak with a tax accountant who is up on FATCA

if this is for a bank/financial institution there is no reason whatsoever to speak with an accountant about this W9.

German financial institutions are required to report your account holdings to the US.  Yes it is FATCA related but since there is no interest to speak of paid on bank accounts these days, I'd be shocked if there were any tax implication here, whatsoever.

OP, just be sure to file your FBARs if you are required to do so and you should be ok.

It's a FATCA thing. You don't need to file the W-9, according to the instructions from the IRS website or here: https://w9.pdffiller.com/ but the form 8938 instead. You can contact the IRS with such an issue