Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Living in Hanau

5 posts in this topic

Hi all,

We (my wife, daughter and I) are considering buying a house in Hanau. To be specific, a house in the Neubaugebiet "In den Argonnerwiesen 1". However we have heard very mixed reviews about Hanau. Most commonly that Hanau and Offenbach are not as safe as other towns in the region like Darmstadt, Aschaffenburg, etc.

So,

1. How would you rate Hanau with respect to safety?

2. There are always nice and safe areas in every town. Which are, according to you, nice areas to live in Hanau? (Would you rate "In den Argonnerwiesen 1" neighborhood safe? )

Thanks in advance!

NC

Hanau Hauptbahnhof is unfortunately an utter dump. I would recommended checking it out firsthand if you or your family will need to use it on a regular basis.

3 hours ago, NathanClarke said:

2. There are always nice and safe areas in every town. Which are, according to you, nice areas to live in Hanau? (Would you rate "In den Argonnerwiesen 1" neighborhood safe? )

According to Google that neighborhood is brand-new and not even ready until 2019. Don't expect to get any statistical data or personal experience for a de facto building site. ;) Judging the offers on the web it looks like a neighborhood for those who can afford, including a private school etc. 

Looks like a new suburban development (there are various threads/forums in German where people are talking about delays in developments/planning permission with various builders...here's one for example: http://www.hauskaufforum.de/erfahrungen-mit-hausbaufirmen-handwerkern-und-hausherstellern/297-traumhaus-dirk-von-hoek-bauvorhaben-hanau-in-den-argonnerwiesen/).

I doubt you'd have much to do with the town (assuming you'll be commuting into Frankfurt). I guess if newbuild suburbia is your thing then it looks like it could do the trick. Most of the developments look to have a fair few communal areas, so you'll need to allow for the costs (and frustrations) that can come with that. Oh and don't buy without visiting though, because it looks like its directly under the flightpath, so could well be noisy.