Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Website law: therapist who is not a Heilpraktiker

7 posts in this topic

Hi, I've been approached by a therapist to transfer his website to a mobil responsive website. He has a .com domain already. He is based in Meck-Pom, N. Germany. I have several therapist friends here in the area, they are mostly bodyworkers, some are Heilpraktikers, some are not.

I heard a story from two diff. sources, that one has to be careful about pictures in advertising for massage. The danger is if you use a picture where the therapist is touching someone and they are not a Heilpraktiker (or med. doctor) then it's not legal and they - as well as the webdesigner - can be sued. Or fined directly without a lawsuit.

Is there anyone out there who knows that level of detail in advertising/webdesign and advertising with pictures? Is this true? Can anyone advise me? 

thanks!

Probably not the advice you want, but honestly for legal questions like this I wouldnt listen to TT.  Maybe someone like panda can point you at the law online but honestly Id get professional advice that you pay for.

Rumours of people getting sued for slightly wrong pictures and anectodes of "I did it and was fine" are no way to make decisions which you suspect may get you sued.

As said above, get legal advice.

My sister-in-law used to work fora private car dealer and they used to get compensation claims due to a part of their adverts not being 100% correct.

Usually where a trainee had just copy and pasted the info to their website.

I can't remember the details but she said there were law firms doing this as well to generate income.

Better to check and be safe than be kicking yourself later.

Thanks Peregrine, that 's a cute animation.

I could have thought of that myself I guess, but the added refinement of needing an English speaking lawyer who knows that level of detail in advertising/webdesign is why I'm posting on this forum. Hope you can understand.

The lawyer who is qualified in that way can live anywhere in Germany, so the search you recommended might well not return results that would the best choice. On the other hand someone in this community might well have a contact. That's worth much more than a search engine result. I've learned to not go with choices for two professions found on the internet: lawyers and dentists. Had bad experiences with both, and now only go with trusted recommendations.

OK, here are my two cents...

The German word "Therapeut" is not regulated, any foo can claim to be a "Therapeut".

However, it is strictly regulated that only approved Heilpraktiker and Ärzte may perform tasks in the field of "Heilkunde" (art of healing). And you get your arse kicked if the webpage only has the slightest scent of "performing the art of healing".

So, claiming to be a "Wellness-Therapeut" and showing a picture of a healthy lady smiling because one gently strokes her back might be OK.

However, claiming to be a "Muskel-Therapeut" and showing a picture of a distressed bricklayer getting his dislocated shoulder reset is definitely not OK. 'Cause you're healing somebody ("performing the art of healing").

To sum it up: You're jumping into a minefield when you want to create a webpage in German without a perfect grasp of the German language and knowing how not to say specific things (aka "evading pitfalls" and knowing to "pussyfoot around").

English speaking lawyer who knows that level of detail in advertising/webdesign [..] The lawyer who is qualified in that way can live anywhere in Germany,

Nope, sorry, you don't grasp reality here. What you want to do is consulting a lawyer in English, and then pay him for the recommendations, and then to follow his recommendations on how to create the webpage with your limited command of the German language. YOU WILL FAIL.

The correct way is to produce a webpage in German to your best knowledge and then have a lawyer correct/approve it and then pay him for that approval.

The whole idea that someboy who doesn't speak German to a native speaker's level takes a job to create a German advertisement webpage concerning a legally sophisticated setting is bizarre, sorry.

Stay away and don't take that job. Honestly, you're not the right person for that.

You might want to try throwing this into google translate: http://www.wellnessverband.de/infodienste/beitraege/070621_therapeut.php

This text also contains the name of a lawyer who seems to know about this specific topic.