Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Keeping German License Plates after Departure

7 posts in this topic

I'll be leaving Germany soon but would like to leave my motorcycle with German plates in storage here in Germany, so that I can come back from time to time and ride it on trips.  The moto is European spec so I can't bring it back to the US with me anyway.  I've asked the questions below to most of the people I know here, but while everyone seems to think it should be possible, no one seems to have any idea as to specifics, so I thought I would check here.

I have a place to store the bike, and can give that address to the relevant authorities, but this raises a series of questions:

1)  My bike is registered in Berlin but the new address will be in Heidelberg, where the moto will be stored--will this be a problem?

2)  Does anyone know how I change my contact address?  I don't know which state agency to contact or how to do so...

3)  I will need to continue to pay registration fees of some sort I guess, but want to close my German bank account--does anyone know if these can be payed with credit card instead of bank transfer?

Couple of things to keep in mind:

You're HU (TÜV, technical test thingie) may expire and at that point you're not allowed to operate the bike on the public road. Insurance will have to be cancelled if you don't have a German bank account.

But the big issue may be road tax: with me (and I guess most) that's automatically charged to your account until you "scrap or sell". And if you don't have an account, that's gonna be tricky.

You'll also have to reregister the bike in Heidelberg (within a relatively short period after moving home -- I got an angry letter once after forgetting).

I think that if you want to do it all above-boardily, you'll have to unregister the bike, thereby handing back the B plates, and then if you want to ride it later, re-register, pay taxes, do HU etc.

Oh, and the Amt you're looking for is the Strassenverkehrsamt or the Amt für Verkersmanagement as it appears to be called in Heidelberg

Thanks for the tips...

20 minutes ago, Gwaptiva said:

I think that if you want to do it all above-boardily, you'll have to unregister the bike, thereby handing back the B plates, and then if you want to ride it later, re-register, pay taxes, do HU etc.

Ugh, if I have to do all of this, there is no reason to keep the bike.

I guess I could keep the bank account open if necessary, it just means more US compliance paperwork (another foreign account).

I think the guy in Heidelberg could renew the TUV when necessary, but I will need to check this.  Also, for him to do this, I guess the moto would have to be re-registered in Heidelberg.  Ugh, what a pain.

I've also looked at getting a US plate, but since the bike will be here and not there, and does not meet US specs, that would be challenging as well.

You might want to investigate in how far it's possible to register the bike at the new address and getting the tax paid (advanced) by your pal. You'd hold on to the Fahrzeugbrief (the big paper), so if it's not that good a pal, s/he cannot sell the bike (easily). Maybe worth investigating/asking at the local Verkehrsamt (or, if you're in Berlin, any other Amt, as I hear for getting appointments in Berlin you have to register at birth)

Thanks a lot.  I will call the guy in Heidelberg tomorrow; he runs a motorcycle business there and should be pretty knowledgeable about general issues, although I doubt he's dealt with exactly this situation before.  Thanks again for the tips.

16 hours ago, Gwaptiva said:

You might want to investigate in how far it's possible to register the bike at the new address and getting the tax paid (advanced) by your pal. You'd hold on to the Fahrzeugbrief (the big paper), so if it's not that good a pal, s/he cannot sell the bike (easily). Maybe worth investigating/asking at the local Verkehrsamt (or, if you're in Berlin, any other Amt, as I hear for getting appointments in Berlin you have to register at birth)

You can definetely have the bike registered on someone and have the tax be paid from someone else's account (assuming they are willing to sign for it). For any changes in the bank account you can look for Formular 032021 - and on that form you can write a different name for the car owner and the account owner

This won't work like you plan. You have to be registered in Germany and have a bank account, which is not a good idea because then you need health insurance.

Move the bike to your friend's place and put the bike under your friend's name if he is willing to accept it.