Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Emergency Plumber disappeared

20 posts in this topic

So on Friday night I needed to call an Emergency Plumber. I used one of those 0800 numbers which I found on the internet. 

So the plumber did the work charged me a whopping 800 Euros then left which I paid with EC card.

He did say he would send the bill via email and the landlord said he would pay me back the costs.

Now I can't seem to get hold of the plumber and there is still no invoice.

I have his phone number but he never picks up, the address on the EC Karte slip has no business associate with it.

Any ideas how I can track down the plumber and get the receipt ?  What should I do next ?

1 minute ago, John Bail said:

Have you checked the entry on your ban account to see if that has any useful info?

Yes, not any useful information which can help.

As far as I know, plumbers are members of the Handwerkskammer and they should have a list of all their members. maybe they can match the name with the number?

It is illegal to be plumbing and not be a member you could call up and say you think a non registered plumber carried out work for you and did not send you an invoice.

Only other way I can thing of is to try and track down a website using the phone number or call from a different phone.

Other than that chalk it down to experience and always ask for an invoice before paying (in most cases this wouldn't be a problem).

7 minutes ago, RenegadeFurther said:

Yes tried absolutely everything. 

I am thinking of cancelling the payment if it is not to late.

Even longer shot!  The firm name, was it Fuchs?

8 minutes ago, RenegadeFurther said:

Well, that will certainly make him contact you.
Looking at this from a legal sense, you have no invoice and payment is usually made on the strength of an invoice.

Are you a member of the Verbraucherzentralle or do you have legal insurance?

17 minutes ago, RenegadeFurther said:

You paid with your EC Card = too late. Been there, done that, contact your legal insurance if you have one and if the Selbstbeteiligung is low (I got part of the money back this way), otherwise learn, as I did,  1) Never to use the emergency numbers 2) resist the pressure and refuse to pay with the EC Card ->it's a trap.

2 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

Curious as to what the problem turned out to be for that kind of money?

Maybe you landlord will pay you back anyway since she/he asked you to handle it.

Out of hours and at the weekend does not come cheap.

But it is a reason to never pay without an invoice unless you know the plumber. The ones that did the work on our flat when we moved in, they gave us a quote and we paid before they did the work, but we knew them quite well by that point (and they refused to have anything to do directly with the landlord).

48 minutes ago, mtbiking said:

You paid with your EC Card = too late.

Often payments with cards are done via Lastschrift (ELV without entering PIN). Then you have (at least) 8 weeks to simply order your bank to get the money back.

About the topic: it hasn't even been a week. Relax.

Well I found plenty for Fürth with a google.  All with 0800 numbers but am not psychic so do not know which one he used.  I am sure he tried everything but I would be interested in the name of the one he used.

And here is one with an 0800 number for Dresden

http://rohr24s.de/Rohrreinigung+Dresden

and the Impressum gives contact addres and other details.

As sneaker wrote you still have a chance to get your money back. If you have online banking you normally can click on the transaction and request the money back at any time in full. Have you done a backwards check of the IBAN number online this would at least tell you where the account is held? To protect your card speak to your bank and ask for advice as to whether your card should be replaced for security purposes. If you cannot get to the bottom of who the plumber is. He may strike again with his payment machine. 

The impressum as snowingagain wrote is a useful starting point but would suggest to always go a step further and check they are registered. We all learn from such experiences, asking for a business card, ID or something is always useful or even if you can see the persons car registration plate useful to note it down just in case. Of course in time of need we sometimes don't think of those things. 

Please do let us know the outcome and could be useful to share the 0800 number out there as it actually might be one of those "telephone scammers " they visit homes in the meantime.