English speakers in Darmstadt

6 posts in this topic

Hi all

I'm a mid-30's American who recently moved to Darmstadt with my German husband and am looking for clubs or groups around Darmstadt to meet other English speakers. (I'm taking German classes but it will be a while before I'm able to socialize in German.)

I've looked through other threads on this forum and there seems to be some trivia nights or bar activities but I'm 29 weeks pregnant so sadly those aren't possible as I'm usually asleep before they get going. I've also found some activities for moms, but it will be a while before our baby is out and ready to meet the world. 

Any other suggested? I'm open to pregnancy and non-pregnancy related activities, including fitness classes, crafts or hobbies, language groups, etc. 

Thanks for your suggestions!

There are two English speakers groups on FB ("DarmstadtEnglish Speakers"), and there is a fairly active Meetup group on meetup.com.

Among the meetups is a language exchange, but it seems to only run in the summer for some reason.

What part of town are you in?

Hey thanks for getting back to me.

I had tried to join a Darmstadt Expat FB group a while back but they never responded/accepted, however "Darmstadt English Speakers" seems to be the correct term as there are two different groups so we'll see how that goes.

I also went ahead and signed up for the meetup group. Even if they only run in summer, it's something. 

We live a couple blocks from downtown Darmstadt. Thanks for the tips and any more are welcome!!

As you are expecting a baby, look at International Kids English Club:

http://ikec.de/

They have Baby and Toddler group, and when our kids were small, there were pregnant ladies joining in too.

On 12/6/2017, 12:39:14, Burgen said:

Any other suggested? I'm open to pregnancy and non-pregnancy related activities, including fitness classes, crafts or hobbies, language groups, etc. 

The Darmstadt boardgames group (again on Meetup.com) seems very active and the people I know from there are friendly.