Is this kids dentist too relaxed or is it the normal way?

30 posts in this topic

2 months ago i received a letter from the KiTa saying that a dentist has diagnosed the children's teeth and apparently our kid has tooth decays in 2-3 of his teeth. That dentist (in KiTa) has noted in the letter that the kid should be immediately taken to a dental clinic regarding the issue.

We contacted a kids dentist which was known for being kind to children and they gave us an appointment in 2 months. So yesterday we went there and the kid was visited by a nurse (not the doctor) and she just made his teeth brushed with a toothpaste and gave us advice on how to better take care of his teeth health, ...

Well to be honest she was so nice especially to the kid, but she said that it's too soon to do anything for his tooth decays as he is too young  now (3 years and 8 months), nevertheless she noted that some of the teeth are in bad conditions. So she gave us another appointment in 2 months, however she indirectly said that they are not going to do any dental treatment even in the next appointment. 

Well, i like them for being so nice and doing a careful dental checkup, but i do not like their long delay in doing the treatment especially when it was mentioned an urgent tooth problem by the other dentist from KiTa.

So wondering if this is the norm here or whether we're better to try another dentist?

Get thee to another dentist. Preferably one that is not German-trained (I have low regard for the breed but you can read that in other threads).

Be thankful he will lose those teeth and get a new set. You are getting a second chance. But how does a 3 year old get caries already? That is abnormal. Lay off the sweets, the sugar and especially the sweet drinks. Please. For your kid. You are programming his tastes at this tender age.

I know recent research has shown that early signs of tooth decay do not always need drilling and the process towards further decay is a much slower process than previously assumed.  So I would guess the KITA dentist picked up on early signs of badly looked after teeth and early signs of decay, and recommended dental check up.  You have now hopefully better informed about tooth care, and the importance of fluoride toothpaste, twice a day brushing and avoiding juice and such.  They have asked you to come back in 2 months to check how it is going and to see if decay has progressed.  Obviously if child experiences tooth pain go back sooner.

http://www.sueddeutsche.de/wissen/streit-um-milchzaehne-buersten-statt-bohren-1.88029

http://www.spiegel.de/gesundheit/diagnose/tiefe-karies-weniger-bohren-besser-fuer-zaehne-a-1087218.html

There can be many reasons for the decay, mostly all having to do with poor care, which with small kids is not an easy job. Or can be that the teeth are too tight so flossing becomes a must, which is as well a difficult job with small kids.

Cutting on sweetened drinks is a good advice. We slowly replaced all juices with water when our kids started to have some teeth decay as well.

And you can use once a week some "gel" with more fluor, the Krankenkasse pays for it for kids. You need the prescription from the dentist though. We made a habit to claim one per kid with every visit to the dentist, we always get small tubes from "Elmex Gelee".

First dental visit recommended at 1 year old at the latest ( dentists suggest going even earlier, after first tooth appears) and then every 6 months.  It is covered by Krankenkasse.  Learning to care properly for teeth saves a lot of pain and problems.

https://www.tk.de/tk/zaehne/vorsorge-bei-kindern/was-ist-zu-beachten/24524

http://www.kinderzahnaerzte.de/wann_sollte_mein_kind_zum_ersten_mal_zum_zahnarzt_gehen_.html

35 minutes ago, optimista said:

Get thee to another dentist. Preferably one that is not German-trained (I have low regard for the breed but you can read that in other threads).

Be thankful he will lose those teeth and get a new set. You are getting a second chance. But how does a 3 year old get caries already? That is abnormal. Lay off the sweets, the sugar and especially the sweet drinks. Please. For your kid. You are programming his tastes at this tender age.

I use AOK insurance, but if i just try another dentist for the kid i think i'm liable to pay for it myself. I think AOK would have a problem with trying another doctor for having a second opinion, wouldn't they? 

I never had an issue with going to another dentist for the kiddos.  I had one dentist say drill, drill, and when that did not work out so well (filling not staying in), I went to another dentist, then another.  I never saw a bill.  It was TK though.

Maybe not relevant for your child, but for children that take asthma medications, remember to rinse their mouth out after using the inhalers / oral medications.  Evidently there is a link between cavities and asthma meds.

http://jocpd.org/doi/abs/10.17796/jcpd.31.2.977776084511l005?code=clpd-site  

From what I've heard from parents with young kids, a dentist won't do too much with first teeth unless decay is causing pain and/or infection. My daughter broke her front tooth at kindergarten in the UK and 2 dentists advised to leave the tooth as removing it might affect the development of the second tooth. 

As others have said, the key is to teach good dental hygiene and reduced sugar intake.  I still can't understand why so much, or even any, sugar is added to food and drink marketed as 'for kids'.  Making tooth care a fun task helped with my daughter's learning...rewards, gold stars etc. Buying new toothbrushes regularly also helps...whatever the latest fad is.  It was Barbie, Nemo etc for daughter. My old dentist enthused how well cared for my daughter's teeth were having used a Philips Sonicare kid electric toothbrush.  She was about 7 with second teeth.  I think german dentists prefer OralB. 

Sugary drinks are a major culprit and even fruit and fruit juices.  Using straws can help though terrible for recycling. You can buy reusable straws from Amazon in kid friendly colors.  A set usually comes with a cleaning brush and are dishwasher safe.  

4 minutes ago, stephan_fam said:

I use AOK insurance, but if i just try another dentist for the kid i think i'm liable to pay for it myself. I think AOK would have a problem with trying another doctor for having a second opinion, wouldn't they? 

I don't think so...I asked our insurer (Barmer)  and they said that anyone is entitled to second opinions. Just ask them.

You can just go to another one, at least I woulnd't have any problem with my public insurance.

But I don't think you really need a second opinion, you received good advice and the problem is now under observation. You should use this time to prepare your kid for what it is coming if they have to fix it. Either the kid takes the drilling like a champ (best option) or an injection would be needed which means pain and fear. The fear might stay forever.

snowingagain is correct, you should have started the checkups when the kid was 1 years old. You already neglected it. Probably due to lack of information. Not sure in which other areas you are not up to date, but from the top of my mind, you should have done already an eye test an ear test. Plus all the normal U-tests.

Do not take this comment bad, just trying to help.

P.S., When the time to go to primary school comes the kid will have to go through a medical and abilities test, this includes teeth, eyes, hearing, among other things. This is to help kids with parents that neglected them completely.

17 minutes ago, Krieg said:

snowingagain is correct, you should have started the checkups when the kid was 1 years old. You already neglected it. Probably due to lack of information. Not sure in which other areas you are not up to date, but from the top of my mind, you should have done already an eye test an ear test. Plus all the normal U-tests.

In fact we did! along with other U-tests and so on.

But apparently the dentist we have been taking the kid to was not so competent as he was always like "it is generally normal for this age and etc " until we got that written letter from Kita. Then we took him to this kids dentist and the rest as i told...

and Yes, we should use more discipline regarding the sweet stuff!  

I like the "go and see a dentist when the kid is one".  One her first birthday, my kid had no teeth whatsoever :-D

7 minutes ago, Marianne013 said:

I like the "go and see a dentist when the kid is one".  One her first birthday, my kid had no teeth whatsoever :-D

Often heredity related, ties in with your profile picture!

The one who told you it is normal at that age was not doing his job. That is seriously terrible. Thankfully you are now getting better info, before the adult teeth come in. There is no need for caries at all - they are avoidable. There is some great info out there about when to brush, what to eat, and as others have suggested, great child friendly products to make teeth cleaning fun, and it is not too late to make sure all is good before the big teeth arrive.

It makes me really cross that the original dentist was so laid back. A laid back dentist is like a chocolate teapot.

42 minutes ago, kiplette said:

A laid back dentist is like a chocolate teapot.

Maybe not the best metaphor in the current circumstances!

Our dentist also said that check ups before 3 were too soon. Both my wife and I were relaxed about it as our daughter hasn't a sweet tooth and allows her teeth to be washed well twice a day. 

3 hours ago, emkay said:

My old dentist enthused how well cared for my daughter's teeth were having used a Philips Sonicare kid electric toothbrush.  She was about 7 with second teeth.

Younger (= more modern) dentists actually recommend the sonic cleaning electric toothbrushes with their elongated "normal-looking" tooth brush heads that vibrate, over the old-style rotating round Oral-B.

So much so, that Oral-B is also breaking into the sonic toothbrush market so as not to be left behind.

I can recommend the "Philips Sonicare for Kids", it has nice non-slippery turquoise rubber patches so that it doesn't slip from your hands, much nicer and fit-for-purpose than their adult versions, but just as efficient: https://www.amazon.de/Philips-Kids-Elektrische-Zahnb%C3%BCrste-Schalltechnologie-HX6311/dp/B00IG0HEFA/

The kid version comes with two toothbrush heads, a smaller one for kids up to 3, and a bigger one (which is about the size of the adult "mini" size brushes) for kids over 3, and with several bright colourful cover stickers, to make them more appealing to children:

rsz_71a9h5tu5el_sl1500_.jpg.9d359b560e94

rsz_71inqwsvpql_sl1500_.jpg.7991d17cb560

19 minutes ago, pmd said:

Maybe not the best metaphor in the current circumstances!

Our dentist also said that check ups before 3 were too soon

15 percent of German children have caries by 3.  Obviously if you are up to speed on teeth cleaning, fluoride toothpast and diet, waiting longer probably not a problem.    This is a photo of a 3 year old and a 2 year old with rotten teeth

teeth.jpg