Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Going to the toilet.

28 posts in this topic

Hi I teach 6 and 7 year olds, would you have a problem with a no toilet during lesson policy for your child. I don't let my class go to the toilet.

1st and 2nd class kids are still too small for a strict no-toilet rule.   They should be encouraged to go to the toilet during breaks and if they ask to go to the toilet during class you might remind the kid about doing it during the break but still allow the kid to go.   That's how it works in our kids school and I like the approach.

Agree with Krieg- encourage them to use break time for toilet, but forbidding them during lessons!   These are 6-7 year olds!

To op - you need to be more flexible. So, if child has an accident , are you going to clean the child ?

3 minutes ago, RedMidge said:

So, if child has an accident , are you going to clean the child ?

If I remember from the other thread on this, no way.  You make them clean the puddle up themselves and leave them in their soggy clothes so they feel so disgraced they never do that again.  Or some such bollocks.

this is not a good friday thread.

you are a horrible teacher.  QED.

and I mean that sincerely, not sarcastically

1 hour ago, RedMidge said:

... So, if child has an accident , are you going to clean the child ?

Cleaning the child is no problem. 

What about the physiological impact of such an accident?  It could scar the child for a long time.

3 hours ago, Rebekteach said:

Hi I teach 6 and 7 year olds, would you have a problem with a no toilet during lesson policy for your child. I don't let my class go to the toilet.

I don´t let my dogs go to the toilet, either. Once they reach 6 years of age, I will.

:DWhat a strange thread? And your FIRST post!!!

Do we enforce a no toilet policy for ourselves except during break time?  What if a child gets sick, needs to throw up, has the runs or a uti?  I remember an interview with a young woman who was bullied through her school years due to an incident of having peed herself in class when she was 6 and she'd actually had a uti and couldn't control her bladder and teacher said no toilet.

A friend of mine and I were skyping while his 6 year old son was sitting on his lap...the kid was so engrossed in the game he was playing on the side, he peed all over my friend.  He wasn't prohibited from going to the toilet in any fashion, he just didn't grasp that he had to go.

As we grow up, we can better control our bodily functions for a time (until we get old), or at least become more clued into what's going on before it's too late.  But ANYONE who has to pee, regardless of circumstances, should be given that opportunity.  The alternative is just barbaric.

FFS I am free to get up to pee in the middle of a meeting.  Why the hell should a small child have to be more resilient than I am?

Just now, john g. said:

I was so engrossed with this thread, I´ve just weed myself...damn...

- it's not break time yet, John!

Seriously, what an awful teacher!!! I sure am glad that I am too old to ever be in his class!!!

OMG I have had to pee so bad I have indeed become (un)comfortably numb.

In such a case usually I CAN'T pee when I finally have the chance...everything gets locked up and it takes serious effort to let 'er rip.

yeah, probably TMI but this is real!!!!

No one deserves to have this experience!  EVER!!!!

When a 6 year old is announcing loudly that they want to the toilet, you have 30 seconds to say "yes". Failing that, they will be pissing their pants.

:DI did the other " business " as a young boy, yourkeau! Mum wasn´t at home, I didn´t have  a key so I crept into the coal shed in the garden and had a dumpez-vous!!! Funny what you can remember from childhood! The OP´s pupils might well remember that into old age...I´m 65 and have clear as crystal memories of that day!

Oh ye, such stories stay in the memory forever. I did it (in the pants) once, when I didn't manage it to home, parents taught me to do the business only in the toilet. I could go to the bushes, I could go under the tree, but it didn't even come to my mind. Classy me!

1 hour ago, lisa13 said:

OMG I have had to pee so bad I have indeed become (un)comfortably numb.

In such a case usually I CAN'T pee when I finally have the chance...everything gets locked up and it takes serious effort to let 'er rip.

yeah, probably TMI but this is real!!!!

No one deserves to have this experience!  EVER!!!!

Turn the water tap or the shower on and your body will know what to do. Let go. Works every time.

( they did it with me when I had a hernia operation in the hospital some years ago and could not pee.)

Now I have to get up every 2 hours to let go. Kind of disturbs the nights sleep.