Should I keep my UK driving licence?

59 posts in this topic

I'm in the process of doing this at the moment but - unlike others it seems - I still have my UK licence in my possession in the meantime.

The lady just asked to see it at the appointment (I'm not sure what exactly she copied from it as I was filling out a form with my address, etc. at the time).

The whole thing took less than 10 minutes: identified myself using passport, showed her my Meldebescheinigung to prove local address and showed my UK licence, handed over a photo and and filled out and signed a form of basic information, then paid the 35 euros.

In 3 weeks time the German licence will be available to collect in person.

Thanks for sharing. There doesn't seem to be a consistent procedure in place throughout Germany. My Dutch license was sent to the BKA (Bundeskriminalamt) for checking for possible fake license. The people behind the counter have no expertise in this matter. Actually, makes sense if you think of it. When I received my German license, they sent my Dutch license back to the Netherlands for destruction.

Thats what I hate about German Bureaucracy. They have so many standards and yet they don't follow it. Each location has there own processes. Even it depends on the person and your luck. RIP

I hope I get my Deutsch DL and they should not loose my UK DL. 

I am bit concerned because I had one document missing (Meldbescheinigung) and I submitted it couple of days later to another person. He said it will be added to the file or case papers they created for me. 

Lets see how it goes.

when a person reaches 70 and has to renew? and Do they have to re-sit a test or is it just eye tests and medicals etc?

On 9/4/2018, 9:55:20, DanglingPointer said:

Thanks @redfive
Looks like its pretty good in Lepzig. So for 7€ they would post your Deutsch DL. No such option in Munich. I asked the lady specifically that whether my new DL can be posted, but she said they will post me a letter stating its ready for collection.

Also, you mentioned that it will be ready to collect from the same office in Leipzig . Do you mean you old UK DL here? Did they mention how long will it take for the new DL?

Did they give you any paper that you can drive meanwhile?

I still have no status on mine and they have given me a shitty paper saying I cannot drive and its so inconvenient. I am still driving though, but cannot go really far.

@DanglingPointer  Yep 7 € and will collect it from the same office in Leipzig tomorrow morning. They photocopied my existing UK license and gave it back to me. I need to surrender it to them when I collect my new DE one tomorrow. I assume they keep it for a check or send back to the UK. Since my card license has expired I technically don't have a valid licence so they didn't give me a document to prove I can drive in the meantime. For 4 days I can live without a car this week. If the card license was still valid, I wouldn't have left without a document proving i could drive in the mean time.

When I was there on Monday there was a computer program that the lady went through which created all the paperwork for me to sign. They then scanned this back in and it was seemingly electronically sent off to Berlin. I would have thought this is a standard DE wide system so surely you would think everyone would have the same process. 

If your license is still valid (your card hadn't expired) then you still have a valid UK license. On that basis you are simply transferring to a DE one, so they should have given you a print out to confirm you can still drive. That's my understanding. if you speak fluent German i'd give them a call and get some sort of proof you can drive. Legally i'm sure you can.

Unless you need it for work, i.e. drive HGV trucks, then you can keep it till its expiry date and then exchange it for a German one relatively painlessly. I did it with mine earlier this year. If you do want to drive HGV, you only have 6 months from your date of residency before you are required to exchange it and have the eye tests and medical, etc

3 hours ago, Malt-Teaser said:

You do know that since 2014 you can't drive HGV for a living without the '95' clause?

Yes. My point was if you have it already and all is up to date, the transfer process is relatively simple. If you need a driver licence for your job in Germany, you are required to transfer to a German Licence. 

I changed my Uk licence a few weeks ago in Kreis Viersen.

i had a 5 Minute meeting with the lady and she gave me my driving licence back. I then had to pay at a machine (I think it was 28€).

about two weeks later I got a letter to say the new licence was here and I could come and collect it and they would take the old one. I ordered a second copy of my UK licence in case I lost my UK one before handing it in to the Germans, so I do still happen to have some Uk ID. The cost of the replacement UK licence was £20.

i went to the Führerscheinstelle, handed in my old UK licence and received my new German one.

it was all pretty easy, but our Beamte in Kreis Viersen are generally nice and the waiting times are short.

3 hours ago, Auntie Helen said:

I ordered a second copy of my UK licence in case I lost my UK one before handing it in to the Germans, so I do still happen to have some Uk ID. The cost of the replacement UK licence was £20.

What you did is illegal: you are not allowed to possess two valid EU driving licenses at the same time. E.g. you drive somewhere way too fast and the police confisqate your license for one month. Then, the next day you could drive based on your other license. That is a criminal offense: hefty fine plus possible jail.

I would not use it as a driving licence, purely as proof of ID in the UK, as it has my UK address.

That sort of personal rationalisation is meaningless to authorities.  Address is nothing to do with our identity.   Says something about entitlement to local services (state and other) in certain situations but not our identity.    States have other systems (registration / ID card, council tax and electoral registers, tax numbers, NI numbers) that serve that purpose.

Pointless law to break really, probably.  Even if address did serve as an ID, those other things show where we live.  I run more than one home without needing multiple driving licences and so do many others.

I can remember that back in the 1980s a driving license could pass as a proof of ID in certain situations, but this is no longer the case. Now, it's mainly an identity card or passport. The address is not important otherwise you have to get a new license each time you move.

On 4.9.2018, 16:06:19, ashwinparkar said:

when a person reaches 70 and has to renew? and Do they have to re-sit a test or is it just eye tests and medicals etc?

According to this: https://www.gov.uk/renew-driving-licence-at-70 it's just an eye test and they can renew for 3 yrs. only.  My home country has similar rules so I don't have any reason at present to trade in my license that is valid until age 70 for one that is valid only 15 years.

Hi,

I got my German DL last week. I got it after 4 weeks and they kept my UK License. Bit Sad to surrender UK License :( as it better looks IMO than the German one :D

Couple of Questions:

1. Do I need to inform my Car Insurance that I changed my DL?
  2. The German License has started date from current date but on the back it has a reference for UK License and its original start date. So I hope it will be still considered an old DL and I should not expect changes in costs from Insurance co.
  3. In case Brexit happens and I move back to UK, do I get my UK DL back. In case UK doesn't allow German License post Brexit 

2 hours ago, DanglingPointer said:

Do I need to inform my Car Insurance that I changed my DL?

No, there's no need to do that.

The German License has started date from current date but on the back it has a reference for UK License and its original start date. So I hope it will be still considered an old DL and I should not expect changes in costs from Insurance co.

Not sure what your question was here.

Here's my own experience. Exchanged my 1972/3 [?] issued UK license for a soft grey German Führerschein Klasse 3 & 4 in 1985. It has my photo riveted onto it and some text typed on the back saying it was issued by virtue of an English [sic] driving license of the classes A to E. The only date on it is the date it was issued.

If ever I've needed to state how long I'd held a driving license for any motor insurance form I have always referred to the date of passing my original UK driving test. No official (police or goods traffic controllers) who has asked to see my license has ever asked any questions about it.

In case Brexit happens and I move back to UK, do I get my UK DL back. In case UK doesn't allow German License post Brexit 

Funny you should ask this today as the UK Gov just yesterday issued their (pro tem non-binding - nothing's agreed until everything's agreed - no deal probability prediction) opinion on the issue of UK and EU driving licenses post Brexit.

See >  Driving in the EU if there's no Brexit deal - GOV.UK

They say they will do a reverse exchange of UK licenses for EU licenses - albeit they can't begin to do that until after the 29th March 2019.

We can but guess how many thousands of professional HGV drivers will be in the post office queue waiting for their relevant International Driving Permit (different for Ireland, Spain, Cyprus and Malta to the other EU countries) on 30 March 2019. 

The UK Gov hope and expect for much wrt what will happen in a no deal scenario - in spite of apparently not having a clue what the situation will be (unless the EU do all the planning work for them) in the event of any actual full treaty agreement.

In other words - today it is as yesterday which is as tomorrow and the foreseeable future -  nobody knows.

2B

On 9/14/2018, 4:28:03, DanglingPointer said:

The German License has started date from current date but on the back it has a reference for UK License and its original start date. So I hope it will be still considered an old DL and I should not expect changes in costs from Insurance co.

If I understood you correctly, you are asking if with your current German drivers license, whether your entire driving experience, i.e. the date you were issued your UK drivers license (assuming that is the first drivers license you received) will be considered, or the date you did the Umschreibung to a German license, when calculating your car insurance premium. If this your question, I think yes. When I did the calculation of my premium through a comparison portal, the fields to enter the "date of issue of drivers license" and the "country issued" had a note saying "...if you have subsequently successfully converted to a German license, please enter "Germany". "