Should I keep my UK driving licence?

59 posts in this topic

On 25.11.2017, 09:46:52, Smaug said:

I have lived in Germany for over 16 years and still use my UK license. I never exchanged it for a German one. I don’t own a car and only drive occasionally. 

Fine as long as the UK is still in the EU. After that it will be different, no doubt.

On 11/25/2017, 9:46:52, Smaug said:

I have lived in Germany for over 16 years and still use my UK license. I never exchanged it for a German one. I don’t own a car and only drive occasionally. 

How does that work ? Don`t you have to exchange the UK license every 10 years ?

Do you have an address in the UK ?

I have an address in the UK so I just use it when it comes to renewal.

I don't know what would happen after the UK leaves the EU. I used to have a Spanish driving license. It was over 20 years ago but I think I can go back to the Spanish authorities and have it reissued there.

Hello Hannoverian. Also bear in mind down the line is that when the UK leaves the EU. This may have car insurance cost implications. 

It's currently in the news (article inThe Guardian today) that in case of a No-deal scenario the EU won't recognise Uk driver's licences. To avoid that the UK will be signing up to a United Nations convention on road traffic which in the past refused to sign up to as it was to burdensome apparently. But that's only the first step in a long process to have driver's licences recognised without a deal so it's a bit more complicated than all that. So I would advice changing driver's licences to be on the safe side. Also advantage of having a German licence in comparison to the UK one is that a German one is for life and won't need replacing after that. 

6 minutes ago, JanaB said:

Also advantage of having a German licence in comparison to the UK one is that a German one is for life and won't need replacing after that. 

I agree, worth changing a UK license to a german one for those who don't intend to return to the UK before the process might get more complicated...very simple at present.  The german card licenses do have an expiry date though...mine is 15 years from date of issue. 

On 11/24/2017, 11:51:03, More tea, Vicar? said:

This is a really good point of OP and one I have been discussing ad infinito with my German colleagues this week.

Who knows after Brexit if the Germans might say:  "time to get a German licence, Mr. Brit".  My colleagues say that the local test is expensive (over €2k) and really shit.  A written exam in German in which even Germans struggle.

I have translated my UK licence at the ADAC and will probably swap it for the DEU one some time next year before Brexit.

Like various other Brexit issues that effect me personally, its all a total pain.  Reciprocity of driving licences obviously isn't a burning issue high up on the negotiating agenda at the moment.  So I am left trying to take a best guestimate (within the time-frame) of what is the best course of action.

Hi, 
Do we need to translate the UK license from ADAC. AFAIK translation is not required and I read on some of other threads that the process is simple and we just need to :

- Go to the local licensing agency with the UK license

- Pay 35 €, handover UK license, passport photo, certificate of registration in Germany

- Wait 4 weeks

- Recieve German driving license

After reading some of the comments above regarding address, I am really worried. I left UK in 2015 and have been driving since then on UK License. I hope it is not invalid after leaving UK and can still be swapped with German one as long as the expiry date on license is valid.

Thanks,

The wording of the uk rules appears to be misleading.  The rule says something like "must have the correct current address", but this is not true for people who move overseas.

Dont worry, your license is valid.

The wording is even more misleading than it was a few years ago. When I swapped back in 2013 it was reasonably clear that if you lived in the UK then your address had to be current, but if you moved abroad then you just did nothing (that was the wording). Germany was happy to accept the UK license as long as it is valid. This is where the difficulty came in...a photocard has to be renewed every 10 years. To renew a photocard you had to be, technically, resident in the UK. Therefore, if your photocard expired whilst you were here you had to swap. Easily done btw.

Browsing through the gov.uk pages now, here and here, it seems even more ambiguous. It says on one page to contact the local authority abroad, on the other it says to contact the local authority abroad AND to swap. Totally misleading. We know, as things stand, that Germany accepts a valid UK license. The question is whether, once you move abroad, the UK is actually valid. This is a question for the British side in that case. Frustrating.

Anyway, for any case. Just change it. Only the local authority can really say if you need a translation or not (I didn't). Only the the local authority can say whether they will do the swap or not in the case of possible invalidity (I think there will be no problem).

Hi,
I've been living in Germany for the last few years. I haven't driven since moving here but now have a car. My UK photo licence expires on the 1st Sept. I know the process of going to the  Fahrerlaubnisbehörde here to transfer my UK to a German licence, the process seems simple enough.

My question to anyone else who has done the same - if it takes 3-4 weeks to get a new DE photo licence (which I understand it will) can I still drive in Germany, and other EU countries in the meantime?  Will the fahrerlaubnisbehörde provide me with some paperwork that I can use of evidence of my licence?  The actual licence expires in 60 odd years time! 

It is ages since I did mine but I don't recall giving my UK one up till me new one arrived.  You swap it then.

When I exchanged mine about 5 yers ago they took my UK one but issued me with a document just in case the Police controlled me.

Yes, of course you can still drive.

On 11/24/2017, 11:51:03, More tea, Vicar? said:

Hi @redfive @Malt-Teaser

I went to KVR last week (14.08) to swap my UK DL and still waiting to hear from them. The lady at the counter was not very nice as she didn't speak much English. She said that I have to wait for 4-6 weeks as they will send the UK DL to Police for verification. 

I was shocked to hear that I cannot drive during this time. I told her that I need to drop kids to KinderGarten to which she argued that you live in Munich and you can use public transport. This was so weird.

She gave me some paper which states something like this:

I was so pissed after this that I even asked me to return my UK DL and I can use that as its still valid till 2023 but she said now she cannot return it.

I am worried that I should not loose my UK DL. They have a link to check the status online and when I enter Aktenzeichen: number mentioned on the paper they gave me, it says it cannot be found. 

Seriously, paper work and processes here are crazy and frustrating. 

Anyways, I as still driving within Munich

Capture.JPG

I hate the KVR, the authorities here in Erding are much more friendly and do a lot more for you.

One quick print-out of an A4 sheet confirmed I have a foreign DL which is currently being swapped for a DE one just in case the Police were to stop me. They made it clear I could still drive during this time.

I don't know but the paper they gave me states that:

Bestätigung über die voriibergehende Abgabe eines auslandischen Fuhrerscheins
Diese Bestätigung gilt nicht als Nachweis der Fahrberechtigung im Inland nach § 29 Fahrerlaubnis-Verordnung (bei Fuhrerscheinen aus Staaten der Anlage 11 und bei Drittstaaten sechs Monate ab Wohnsitzbegrundung).

Also, they asked me to bring additional document which states that I moved to Germany from UK and this document should contain the address I moved from UK. I had to get it from Rathaus where I did my first registration in Germany. I didn't had this document and hence I had to go again and submit this document. Now I am waiting for an update and hopefully getting the German DL.

I am trying to check status on this link, but as expected it doesn't show up anything

https://www17.muenchen.de/Fuehrerschein/

Thanks for the replies. I will take a trip to the fahrerlaubnisbehörde in the next few days and see what they say. As long as they say I specifically can drive and they give me proof in a document then I'm happy. Anything less then I have a big problem. I'm in Leipzig (added to this thread since it's on topic), and generally people have been quite helpful / friendly when dealing with these types of things. Fingers crossed on this one.

Likewise I've experienced the hell of German paperwork. They love their rules, but refuse to explain to people what the rules are. And then moan at you when you haven't followed them or ask for clarification. Really weird. 

On 8/30/2018, 9:59:10, DanglingPointer said:

Good Luck @redfive

Does anyone know if this link to check status of Driving License works at all or its just there without any purpose. I submitted my UK DL for exchange two weeks ago and can't see any update here. I hope they don't loose my License-

https://www17.muenchen.de/Fuehrerschein/

@DanglingPointer  Thanks! Sorry I can't help with the link.

Just for people's info - I took a trip today to the fahrerlaubnisbehörde here in Leipzig. My spoken German is not up to scratch really so struggled a bit at times, mainly with a crazy appointment and room system. After 10mins of confusion after being sent to one person, who clearly wanted nothing to do with someone of my limited vocabulary I was passed to a nice woman. She didn't speak any English but was very patient and we got through the paperwork in 20mins. Luckily I can understand and read 90% of things. It was very straight forward  really. The cost to transfer my GB > DE license was 35€ and I paid 7€ for an Express license delivery. It will actually be ready to collect from the same office in Leipzig on Friday this week. I was very surprised and was fully expecting to have to go Berlin on Friday to pick it up.

I did find it quite amusing you cannot pay the clerk who handled the paperwork. I was given an electronic key card and was told to go up a few floors to an automatic machine where you pay! No signs anywhere of where it was, seems it's on a need to know basis! 

From some of the stories here it seems mine was rather easy. Thanks for the advice! 

Thanks @redfive
Looks like its pretty good in Lepzig. So for 7€ they would post your Deutsch DL. No such option in Munich. I asked the lady specifically that whether my new DL can be posted, but she said they will post me a letter stating its ready for collection.

Also, you mentioned that it will be ready to collect from the same office in Leipzig . Do you mean you old UK DL here? Did they mention how long will it take for the new DL?

Did they give you any paper that you can drive meanwhile?

I still have no status on mine and they have given me a shitty paper saying I cannot drive and its so inconvenient. I am still driving though, but cannot go really far.

They informed you it will take 4-6 weeks and now only 3 weeks have passed, so hang in there. When I did the same with my Dutch license in Munich, the online tool for checking my status, was working. I think I got my license after just 3 weeks. I received a paper that I could drive during the waiting period, but only in Germany. I have no car, so what the hell. Strange, that you didn't, but sometimes it all depends with whom you're dealing behind the counter and what their mood is. I speak fluent German and was prepared.

I also didn't need to bring an additional document with my original address in the Netherlands. The Führerscheinstelle can see your Anmeldung in their system, because it's connected with the KVR. Perhaps you got special treatment, because of BREXIT.