O2 changing internet technology

9 posts in this topic

I live in a rental apartment in Munich where there is an O2 WLAN box for Internet access.

Yesterday, it stopped working, so I emailed my landlord and informed him.

He sent me a pdf file that basically says the following...

am 21.11.2017 stellen wir Ihren O2 DSL Anschluss auf eine moderne, zukunftssichere Anschlusstechnik um. Bitte stellen Sie sich darauf ein, dass Sie in dieser Zeit vorübergehend nicht telefonieren können. Für Sie entstehen dadurch keinerlei Kosten und Ihr vorhandener Vertrag bleibt unverändert bestehen. Ihre Anwesenheit ist nicht erforderlich, da die Umstellung ohne einen Technikereinsatz durchgeführt wird.

I understand it will be sorted out and no need for me to do anything, right?

Today, the Internet access is still not restored, so I am wondering if I should do anything?

I called O2 several times, but nobody could speak English, so I took to this helpful forum...

2 hours ago, sneaker said:

It should already be working. Which router model do you have?

See: https://www.toytowngermany.com/forum/topic/372570-o2-technology-update-technikumstellung/

If it isn't a problem with the router you need to report it. If you can't get ahold of someone who speaks English ask a German-speaking friend to do it for you. Or try their online community.

@sneaker

Hi again sneaker,

I have been through your other posts, but since I am not the owner (so I did not set up the box initially) I am a bit confused...

(By the way, it was impossible to get through to O2 over the phone afterwards...)

When I go through the web interface: http://o2.box/ or http://192.168.1.1/ I am asked for a Kennwort that accepts none of the passwords I can see in the letter that my landlord sent me (nor the wifi password) so I am assuming this is some sort of an initial password that was set up when the box was first installed. Do you know more about this?

Also, the letter mentions entering a PIN when you pick up the handset for the first time, but the philips phone that is connected to the box does not prompt me for anything and as far as I could see, there is no way of entering any kind of pin.

I wonder if you might have more info perhaps.

Thank you

Do you have the letter with the PIN?

Did you do the reset procedure I described in the other thread?

26 minutes ago, sneaker said:

Do you have the letter with the PIN?

Did you do the reset procedure I described in the other thread?

@sneaker

Yes, I did the resetting a couple of times, as well as complete switch-on-off.

I have the letter my landlord sent me, with the pin as well as other username and password.

But none is accepted at the web interface... And the PIN is not prompted on the phone at all.

It's a regular digital phone, so I am not even sure how one would enter a PIN in it...

There is just the box. I don't even have the CD for re-install, so it has to work with the box and letter alone.

Can you make a screenshot of the webinterface that's asking for the password? I thought the password would be deactivated after a reset. Are you sure the reset worked?

14 hours ago, sneaker said:

Can you make a screenshot of the webinterface that's asking for the password? I thought the password would be deactivated after a reset. Are you sure the reset worked?

Thanks for following up sneaker.

The reset worked after a 10 second hold of the button and all the lights coming on, etc...

This morning, early, my landlord came in and put in the password (which last night he was reluctant to just utter it over the phone) and it is now fine.

After putting in the password, I saw the next pages that actually asked for a new password, so he put in the name of the building as the new password, in case the same happened to the next tenant!

Many thanks for your help sneaker.

Henny

I just got moved to the new digital O2 service, and it insists I run my DECT phone through its modem, suggesting to me (well, to the IT savvy people in my office), I'm now on voice-over-IP. I sure am at 5 times the speed I got before :)

Oh, and to get hold of O2 tech support (not sales), look for their Out-of-Hours Emergency Support line, and call it at like 6:30am (or after 8 or 10pm). It's a lot easier to reach (because they don't have to deal with contract issues, just techy stuff).