What mid-sized town should we live in for 3 months as digital nomads?

76 posts in this topic

Have we already established that a German "mid size" town would be SMALL town in the US? As in really small? Both in numbers and in flair?

Even Munich with its rustic charm and quietness once away from the party area would - in spite of a million inhabitants - easily qualify as a US mid size town.

Just saying.

1 hour ago, tor said:

it looks like fucklan has at least 2 dupe accounts.

Really? Who? We need to know!

42 minutes ago, Metall said:

Even Munich with its rustic charm and quietness once away from the party area would - in spite of a million inhabitants - easily qualify as a US mid size town.

1.5 million ?.  It's a big village.

1 hour ago, PandaMunich said:

Ok, let's assume your question is for real.

franklan was alluding to the fact that how they described themselves, as always being online, they should well be able to post updates during their stay in Germany in spring 2018, instead of announcing they will do so only once they're back in the US, after the trip, in June 2018.

So the background laugh would be at the end of the sentence.

Yeah, I just do not understand what has technical ability to post on TT to do with having time for that, since OP has announced they plan to work... Like, I am connected to phone network 24/365, I announce "I will call you in a month", and someone thinks it is a joke. But whatever...

I can highly recommend Freiburg im Breisgau - with about 240k residents it's not too big and 

not too small. It has a lively cultural atmosphere, almost no heavy industry, close proximity to France, is less 

than one hour from Switzerland with the train, plenty of cinemas that also show English language  

films. AND the Black Forest is within walking distance. You can take the fast train (ICE) directly to 

Karlsruhe, Frankfurt, Colgne, etc.  After 35 years in Germany I can say that Freiburg is one of my favourite 

towns.  Berlin also has a lot to offer, but it is definitely not small and can be a bit overwhelming at times and 

is perhaps not "typical" for a German town - it should be on your list anyway. Access to the internet should be

possible everywhere, perhaps with exception of some remote valley in the Black Forest. 

13 hours ago, LukeSkywalker said:

According to this week's Wirtschaftswoche Mannheim is ranked 20th among 70 German cities. Ranking is based on employment, economy, real estate and quality of life. Munich is No.1 and Gelsenkirchen is No. 70. 5 Bavarian cities in top 8. 

Gelsenkirchen is 50 places behind Mannheim?  Never been there but I think I will make sure I never visit. The only things I liked about Mannheim was the University and the water tower.  

Of course the OP's situation is a bit different, since they apparently already have a job (so employment opportunities would not matter so much) and they are looking for a medium sized city and the Wirtshaftswoche includes large cities.  

I would agree that Bavaria would be a good bet.  Also agree on Freiberg as a non-Bavarian alternative.    Lots of tourists in Freiberg, though, if that bothers you.  

14 hours ago, Metall said:

Have we already established that a German "mid size" town would be SMALL town in the US? As in really small? Both in numbers and in flair?

Just saying.

Munich would be the 8th largest city in the US if it were a US city.  That makes it a large city by any standard.  

18 hours ago, BradinBayern said:

I would agree that Bavaria would be a good bet.  Also agree on Freiberg as a non-Bavarian alternative.    Lots of tourists in Freiberg, though, if that bothers you.  

Don't mix up Freiburg and Freiberg.

On 26.11.2017, 22:03:32, yourkeau said:

. Like, I am connected to phone network 24/365, I announce "I will call you in a month", and someone thinks it is a joke. But whatever...

Actually, if you were a friend, or even an aquaintance that I had helped in some way, and you said that to me, I would be highly insulted, and might just have the urge to tell you where to stick your telephone!

Good point because as a person who had to drive to Freiberg/Saxony quite often, I would advise against it.

On 11/28/2017, 6:30:38, robinson100 said:

Actually, if you were a friend, or even an aquaintance that I had helped in some way, and you said that to me, I would be highly insulted, and might just have the urge to tell you where to stick your telephone!

Even when I am going to spend the time on another continent during that month? :blink:

Noted down (about saying), but I will not call anyway. I do not communicate with anyone when I am traveling, literally with no one. That is my life rule.

On 21/11/2017, 19:23:40, dstanners said:

I was amused by the idea that someone based in the USA would consider Atlanta, Denver and New York to be broadly similar (and that Atlanta is a, "really big city"...I'm guessing you had an airport transfer there, and that gave you a very misleading impression). 

So, sticking a pin in the map, and avoiding cities, I would say go for Goslar. It's very pretty, there are a few nice places to eat, it is small, and central in terms of Germany. It has a train station, and in winter you can take your cross country skis and head...well, cross country. Oh it almost certainly has an Aldi where you can buy an internet stick.

Goslar? I went there in my early 20s (1990s) to visit family. It's... quiet (boring).

On ‎25‎.‎11‎.‎2017‎ ‎20‎:‎25‎:‎29, hunterInt said:

Sure! I'll set a reminder to post this stuff when we get back probably in June or so.  

So, how was life as digital nomad in Germany?

I am sure the TT-folks want to know...

On 11/27/2017, 3:24:27, PandaMunich said:

Ok, let's assume your question is for real.

franklan was alluding to the fact that how they described themselves, as always being online, they should well be able to post updates during their stay in Germany in spring 2018, instead of announcing they will do so only once they're back in the US, after the trip, in June 2018.

So the background laugh would be at the end of the sentence.

The way I hear it, the background laugh would be after the after. ;p

What's even funnier is that (see previous post from Frank), apparently the digital nomad's reminder couldn't find stable network connectivity.

9 hours ago, fredchatel said:

What's even funnier is that (see previous post from Frank), apparently the digital nomad's reminder couldn't find stable network connectivity.

I don't think it was a connectivity problem, I'd say there is nothing to write about as there was no journey.

the whole demeanour of the OP was so gung-ho that it was 90% clear to me that this idea of a nomadic trip to D will never materialize.