Buying a VW Campervan in Germany?

7 posts in this topic

So I'm thinking of buying one of those VW camper van things.

Since this is Germany where the things actually come from, should be optimal, right?

Anyone done this? Have any tips where to get a good and cheap(ish) one?

You're looking to buy an iconic classic car in the country where it was originally produced. The supply is good, yes, but the demand is higher. Don't expect to bag yourself a bargain, but you can at least expect to find a thriving market with some very good quality examples.

My only tip would be to search for VW meetups and go along to see some examples first hand. There will be rip-offs on the regular car market websites from people who know they can flog their beat-up example for premium money to people who don't know what to look for.

Optimal, maybe, not cheap though like you'd think.

What do you want? A classic air-cooled Type2 or modern T5?

Type2, bay window - slow. top speed 60mph, 65 downhill, 45 uphill. Older Split windscreens slower. T25 bricks will be faster

If it is about camping then it is also about the conversion (Westfalia etc). What do you want for pop-top? What about fittings - how close are they to falling apart? Could you get a base van and fit out new yourself (see www.vanessa-mobilcamping.de for e.g).

We have a VW T4 with popup roof registered as a camper (cheaper insurance). Not sure what really you are asking, maybe you could be more specific. And maybe what your needs are and your budget.

We decided for tbe T4 because it was a balance between reliability, confort and price. I would love a T2 or T3 but they are too old, unreliable and slow. And a T6 will be way too expensive.

6 minutes ago, Krieg said:

I would love a T2 or T3 but they are too old, unreliable and slow.

I have a T3 and it is not at all unreliable...  old?  Perhaps.  Slow?  Argumentative.  Aye, compared to my Alfa Romeo, it is slow!  A T1 or T2 can be expensive, but they are a work of art.  My T3 is a 1,6ltr TD, 5speed.  Autobahn cruising speed of 120kmh and needs about 8l/100.  It is registered as a LKW - cheaper insurance and cheaper taxes (147€ per year).

I highly recommend a T3.  I have re-done the rear interior with a bed over the rear engine, cabinet space forward, solar energy for the rear.  I have a radio and had a TV, but removed the telly as it was rarely used, but the outlet is still in place for low wattage items.  In May we took a wee trip to Italy - first Venice, then Parma, then Genoa and home.  No issues with the Bulli. 

It is easy to repair and customise and I find the T3 to be very reliable for weekends, weeks or just everyday.

On FB there is a young woman who renovated her T3 - Susie Cruz.  I recall she was up north, renovated her Bulli and is now traveling the world. 

They are great fun!

Hi, any updates from anyone on the best camper to buy? With the Corona crisis not looking to end anytime soon, I'm considering replacing my MPV with a camper... Any tips would be appreciated!

In the mean time they became even trendier so they are more and more expensive, the new ones are now luxury vehicles and the used ones are sold for really high prices.  The Corona made the situation even worse because now even more people think it is a good idea.  

In the meantime our loved T4 died, or reached the point where it was too expensive to make a new TUV.    We now have a T5 but without the popup roof and we really miss that feature.

Depending on how many people should sleep in the camper you might have better options if you do not need the popup roof.  Then any VW with the back seats that can be set as a bed can be used as a basis and it won't break the bank (Caravelle and Multivan).

If you have the budget the the best option IMO is the VW T6 California.