Taxes and licenses for owning a dog

68 posts in this topic

Have been having a discussion about whether to have a dog, now my hubby has heard that there is a 900 odd euro tax a year if you own one, and also how much is the dog licence. Is it possible anyone can clear up these issues for me, ta. I know the germans put tax and anything else they can squeese out of you for owning anything here, so any doggy help would be great.

suzi

900€/Year???

That's definitely not right, how much Hundesteuer you pay depends on where you're living, we pay 66€/Year.

You don't need a dog license, but it's becoming obligatory to get your dog micro-chipped (you'll need this any way if you plan on taking your canine friend to UK or Ireland)

I think somebody was kidding you Suzi, and you believed it.

Dog license sounds interesting though... :lol:

It depends where you live, size/type of dog, for instance i pay 39€ quarterly

for my 90kilo! St. Bernhard.

Vet bills also depend on size, for instance a innoculation(sp) for my dog

is a lot more expensive than for next doors Dackel.

We pay €30 a year dog tax for our Husky and he is registered at the rathaus, they provide you will a little coloured metal tab that he wears on his harness, plus we have him insured for which we pay about €120 a year, not that he would run off, get out or bite its more in case anyone did anything to him. Our yearly jabs are €50. I find it works out alot cheaper than the UK. :D

I can only confirm what Brocky has said. Our Fox Terrier costs Euro 60 a year and about Euro 70 for his innoculations.

At those prices wouldnt it be cheaper to rent a dog, rather than own one??!

now that is giving me ideas, Rent-A-Dog

mind you i have borrowed a dog for weekends :D

got our own one now... :lol:

Dogs that fall into the "Kampfhund" category are being hit with super-high taxes in a lot of local authorities now. It's a win-win situation for them, either they get somebody to remove a dog they don't want in their district, or they fill up their empty coffers.

I had not idea you had to registar a dog. No one mentioned this too us and we had to take her to the Tieramp to get her (it?) paperwork for the Uk.

Neither has the Vet ever mentioned

You have to register everything here! Germany is the land of the Meldeamt.

In the first year of the dogs life you dont have to pay any tax at all. It´s called: "Welpen Schutz" and only once the dog is a year old that´s when you have to register him and start paying "Hundesteuer". Also depending on the breed of dog...you have to do a "Dog character test" whereby they decide wether your dog needs muzzled (spelling???). Also if your little friend is of placid natur you can aplay for a licence to keep him of the lead... :)

Thanks for all advice, if we get one it will be just a small dog, and not a fighting type. Will now tell hubby he got it wrong :doh: Thanks again.

suzi

I've just rung up my local Rathaus to ask about Hundesteuer and was told the following:

1. dogs have to be registered (angemeldet) from 3 months of age, that's when the year's taxation starts

2. the Hundesteuer for 2006 is €120 :o !!!

As far as I can see, each borough/area can independently decide how high the Hundesteuer is. The tax is the same for all sizes of dogs (except those classified as Kampfhunde).

I wonder what exactly the taxes are used for? It's certainly not to provide dog-litter bins (like you see in the UK in every park). Is it in fact law to clean up after your dog here? I have no problem doing that, but I'd rather there were designated bins for the waste, rather than having to carry it around until we get home (and then having the problem of which bin does it go in :lol: )

britboard

Will now tell hubby he got it wrong :doh:

I didn't say anything ! :D

(The other funny thing is, you are not my wife but have the same name! Suzi with a "z". :P )

now that is giving me ideas, Rent-A-Dog

mind you i have borrowed a dog for weekends

got our own one now...

I can´t believe how much I miss my dog, last minute we had to leave her at the dog sitter (thank god we found one or I would have been at home for the week). before we flew out to spain, first day was ok as we were a bit lost, but now my routine is completly out of whack, i didn´t realize how much i planned my life around her walks. Feels weird without someone by my side!

Its actually made me homesick for Germany, that and I can´t speak any Spanish.

Speaking of that can you believe I was acutally home sick for germany, got here don´t speak a word of the language, got lost finding our flat, got rip off by the taxi (50€ for a 20€ ride). Well sunday afternoon went out for walk and got lost again, sunday night went out and woha!!! the stores are open!!!

I think I could get used to this!!!

Bought some food, nice big stores loads of selection free bags, ok maybe not so bad, several great pubs close by, know how to order coffee important first thing in the morning.

Best of all its only for a week than we can pick up teddy and she can come with us :D

Planning on adopting a dog here in Berlin, a rescue one definitely. I've wandered around a few animal homes then saw an advert for a pathetic little mutt from Greece. Does anyone have any experience of overseas dog adoption? Any stories (good and bad) to tell? I'm a pretty experienced animal person (grew up on a farm which took in abused animals, including a horse that'd been set on fire) but my partner isn't...

Cheers,

Cadi

PS: In the meantime, if anyone needs a dog walker, I'm based in Prenzelauerberg and am facing a month of glorious unemployment...!

I adopted a great dog from this rescue organization: Tierhilfe-Verbindet

It cost 270 EUR, which covers their veterinary costs and the flight to Germany from Spain. She was healthy, and that's important. Some of the mediterranean diseases that dogs can catch are very nasty and can bring you lifelong vet bills. You have to be sure you're getting a healthy one. Even though mine came with the certificate my vet was still very concerned when I first got her, and ran her through all the tests to be sure. The parisitic diseases, especially Leishmaniasis, can be transmitted to humans. And there was a case in England recently where a woman with a soft heart brought home a pup she found on vacation, which then tested positive for rabies during quarantine.

So, the main advice is to adopt from a reputable rescue group. I can vouch for this one. They had flown Turbo into a foster home in Munich, and I visited her there first. I was interviewed, and given the contract and documentation to study. They made sure I understood the diseases and what the risks are. Then they visited my home with Turbo, decided we had the right stuff, and left her with me. I was given three days to decide if I wanted to keep her. It took three minutes :lol:

Keep in mind that the dogs are assessed, but a rescue dog will come with some kind of baggage. It took about 6 months for Turbo to settle down and grow a brain (also due to adolescence), and dog training classes have definitely helped.

Hope that helps! Feel free to PM me if you want to know anything else.

I'm seriously considering getting a new dog. I live in Cologne near the Aachener Weier and work from home, so the logistics of raising a dog in a big city won't be an issue. The only thing I'm unsure about is how exactly to get the ball rolling. I'll probably go through one of the many Tierheims in the area to find the right dog, but do I need to register him/her at a special government office for licenses, chips, etc. and to pay the pet tax that I've heard about? Does anyone know roughly how much that all costs? Thanks a lot for your input!

[adminmerge][/adminmerge]

This link should answer all your questions.

P.S. The Hundesteuer is called a "dog license" (or licence, if you will) in the English-speaking world.