Which car to take to Germany?

60 posts in this topic

Hi, moving to Frankfurt with the family soon and we are trying to decide which car is best to take over with us. Both of our current cars are older and our plan is to sell them and get a new/newer one to ship over. Any thoughts about most appropriate car(s) for a family of four and a dog? Would having even a compact SUV be too much a pain in the butt? Can all types/makes of car be serviced? Thank you. 

2 hours ago, coolness.personified said:

They actually sell cars in Germany.

Noted. Any thoughts on the question I actually asked? 

Judging by what I've read on TT (and having lived a number of years in Germany) I wouldn't bring a car over. As for what types of cars can be serviced I can't help there, as I never owned a car in Germany and almost never felt a need to have one.

If I could choose again, I wouldn't bring a car over to Germany.  There are quite a few topics here on TT about the costs of registration etc.  Use the search function top right and try something like 'US car' 'Car to germany' i.e. https://www.toytowngermany.com/forum/topic/162143-should-i-bring-my-car-from-america-to-germany/

As for the type of car, my personal suggestion is to buy one close to where you live or at least from a dealer network where it can be serviced locally. You should have a wide choice in Frankfurt. SUVs sound practical with a family of your size and dog. Or, an estate /Kombi. I recently read that Japanese cars are getting more popular over the German premiums.  A Mazda, Toyota, Nissan etc SUV costs nearly half he BMW, Mercedes etc equivalent. And, reliability, service and warranty are possibly much better.

I'd say that most cars can be serviced here though if you wanted a dealer or warranty service, best to check availability before purchase. 

If you are going to be working for US Gov, its really not worth the cost and agro

PLUS... Dogs arent allowed to drive here, so there's one less thing to worry about..

11 hours ago, emkay said:

I recently read that Japanese cars are getting more popular over the German premiums.  A Mazda, Toyota, Nissan etc SUV costs nearly half he BMW, Mercedes etc equivalent.

You can't compare a Toyota with a Mercedes. One is a normal car, the other is a premium car.

As always, you get what you paid for.

Also with Japanese cars in Germany you don't have many choices with extras.

11 hours ago, emkay said:

And, reliability, service and warranty are possibly much better.

Unsubstantiated. This is not 1980 any longer.

Regarding the SUV choice, it is a matter of taste and priority on safety. I would never buy one, I like to drive closer to the road and do a more sporty drive, which an SUV can't deliver. 

Also SUV's are not as safe as a normal car.

14 minutes ago, MikeMelga said:

Regarding the SUV choice, it is a matter of taste and priority on safety. I would never buy one, I like to drive closer to the road and do a more sporty drive, which an SUV can't deliver.

Do you take your family and dog in your sporty car?

5 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

Do you take your family and dog in your sporty car?

Sporty drive != sporty car. A T-Modell with a good engine is quite sporty and you can fit 5 people and 2 dogs in it. BTW, it comes with a dog net on the back.

1 minute ago, MikeMelga said:

A T-Model

I have no idea what this is. My brother used to have a Model T but I think it was from 1920 or 1930.

Got it! We have one, too.

I would never bring an old car from the U.S. here or the other way around. I would sell the 2 cars, buy a used car here (depending on how long the stay is). If you don't bring one over, won't your company give you a car allowance? That is how it used to work for international assignments back in the day.

If OP buys a new car to ship over, are there extra German taxes, duties he will face? Also, question if modifications?

I would not bring  a car over- go to dealer and get a Jahrezeit car.

Just wondering if the OP comes from a State from which Germany allows the transfer driving licences?

That might be the first hurdle to cross.

since foreign cars imported into Germany often have to be modified to comply with the German rules and regulatioins, I really do not think it is worth bring a car over, even if the employer will pay for it.

If you buy a car here, you will also be able to sell it quite easily when you go back home.

10 hours ago, robinson100 said:

, I really do not think it is worth bring a car over, even if the employer will pay for it.

Aren´t cars cheaper in the US? You can get an idea about prices for used and new cars e. g. here

I don't think you will be able to get a German license for a US spec car without converting it to German specs.  Not easy or cheap, so you should definitely research that thoroughly before buying a car.

19 hours ago, SpiderPig said:

If you are going to be working for US Gov, its really not worth the cost and agro

PLUS... Dogs arent allowed to drive here, so there's one less thing to worry about..

I made a typo...

If you are NOT going to be working for US Gov, its really not worth the cost and agro

I guess my first choice would be a German car, like a VW. But, Fords are also popular over here. I rode in an Edge last week and it as very comfortable.

maybe you could ask these guys for some help.

Thanks all. It's been interesting reading through the comments and suggestions. To clarify, I'm not looking for guidance or opinions about the wisdom of the import process. It's not an issue for our situation. 

If you own a car in Germany and have a family, I'd like to hear about what you drive,  how well it's working for you, and why. Particularly folks who have brought or bought US spec cars. That's what I'm asking.