Moving from Essen to Leonberg: Is €42k a good yearly salary to live on?

12 posts in this topic

Hello folks!

I recently got a job offer from Leonberg with a gross salary of 42k€. I live in Essen at the moment where my current salary is 39k€ with which I am able to live pretty comfortably alone. Though Essen is a much bigger city than Leonberg, it is also in a less expensive region of Germany compared to the southern states. So I'm very confused if this is a good offer or if the company is just taking advantage of my lack of information. I have already agreed to them thinking this would be enough but now I am getting second thoughts when I started searching for flat rents in Leonberg. Personally the salary looks enough to me since I have a modest lifestyle but you never know. Please if anyone who lives in or around Leonberg could help me out here, that would be great. Thanks!!

PS: My wife might join me soon from my home country if thats important. Although knowing her, I don't think our expenses will increase drastically.

Its a really nice area to move to, in my opinion.  I moved from the Ruhrgebiet to that area about 10 years ago and it was such a huge difference in quality of living and lower crime.   It will be more expensive, which is why most people chose to move to the towns around the outskirts.  If it were me, i would look at google map, and look for apartments in the towns around Leonberg, they are all pretty nice. You could also, maybe ask for a little bit higher salary, if you feel brave enough.  We lived on far less than 42K (more like 30K) but that was 10 years ago, and we got a cute little 2 bedroom apt in a big house that belonged to an elderly lady.  

Is it as difficult these days  to find an apartment in Leonberg as in the rest of the Stuttgart area? 

If so, perhaps the OP should ask for a little more money and   guaranteed  assistance from the employer to find an apartment suitable for him and his wife.   It is hard enough to come to a new country, but even harder if where you  live is inconvenient/unsuitable. 

(Based on my experience  being the spouse stuck in a village with infrequent public transit and  few services in typically unfriendly (especially to strangers) southern Germany. ) 

Is your new job better than your current job in terms of future prospects, responsibilities? The salary difference is not so significant, considering you are moving to one of the expensive regions of Germany. You will pay more in rent, transport (depends how far your workplace is from your accommodation). You are living alone right now, I assume in a single room apartment.  When your wife will join you, you will need at least 2 room apartment, which will not be cheap anyways. Although your tax deduction will be less after your wife joins you but still, considering rental prices in that region and costs of moving, you will actually be getting same salary as you are getting now. If your new job is much better than current one in terms of prospects then the move makes sense. Leonberg belongs to Großraum Stuttgart (correct me if I am wrong) so you will anyways be competing with lot of other people for rental accommodation.

2 hours ago, Joanie said:

Its a really nice area to move to, in my opinion.  I moved from the Ruhrgebiet to that area about 10 years ago and it was such a huge difference in quality of living and lower crime.   It will be more expensive, which is why most people chose to move to the towns around the outskirts.  If it were me, i would look at google map, and look for apartments in the towns around Leonberg, they are all pretty nice. You could also, maybe ask for a little bit higher salary, if you feel brave enough.  We lived on far less than 42K (more like 30K) but that was 10 years ago, and we got a cute little 2 bedroom apt in a big house that belonged to an elderly lady.  

Your answer gives me some motivation to move there in terms of quality of life but like you said it was 10 years ago...so I'm not sure how the expense situation is now. I will do look at the towns around Leonberg as well. Is there a common public transport ticket which works in this region?

12 hours ago, salazartherin said:

I recently got a job offer from Leonberg with a gross salary of 42k€. I live in Essen at the moment where my current salary is 39k€ with which I am able to live pretty comfortably alone.

I think you should try and negotiate a better salary. Assuming that you are in a MINT field, 42k € is what a recent grad without post degree experience could expect to earn in the area. 

1 hour ago, easytodraw said:

Is it as difficult these days  to find an apartment in Leonberg as in the rest of the Stuttgart area? 

If so, perhaps the OP should ask for a little more money and   guaranteed  assistance from the employer to find an apartment suitable for him and his wife.   It is hard enough to come to a new country, but even harder if where you  live is inconvenient/unsuitable. 

(Based on my experience  being the spouse stuck in a village with infrequent public transit and  few services in typically unfriendly (especially to strangers) southern Germany. ) 

This what I'm worried about the most. The current region where I live in is one of the most dense urban regions of Europe. There are many big cities next to each other (Essen, Bochum, Dortmund, Mülheim, Düsseldorf, Colone) and we benefit in a number of ways from this in terms of being able to search for jobs, part time jobs, cultural events, socializing, travel (4 airports in the region) and acess to huge choice of services. Quality of life for me is high anywhere in Germany since I come from a relatively poor country. So I would not diffrentiate much between regions of Germany. I might be living comfortably financially, but I dont know if my wife would like it there, if it would be too lonely there, too less to do....

16 minutes ago, dreamer15 said:

Is your new job better than your current job in terms of future prospects, responsibilities? The salary difference is not so significant, considering you are moving to one of the expensive regions of Germany. You will pay more in rent, transport (depends how far your workplace is from your accommodation). You are living alone right now, I assume in a single room apartment.  When your wife will join you, you will need at least 2 room apartment, which will not be cheap anyways. Although your tax deduction will be less after your wife joins you but still, considering rental prices in that region and costs of moving, you will actually be getting same salary as you are getting now. If your new job is much better than current one in terms of prospects then the move makes sense. Leonberg belongs to Großraum Stuttgart (correct me if I am wrong) so you will anyways be competing with lot of other people for rental accommodation.

Well the job seems to be better and more into what I would like to do. The company is also better I would say. I understand that the salary difference wont be much as expenses there would be higher but that exactly is my question - how much salary difference is ideal for me to be able feel that I'm getting the same salary and NOT LESS? Will 42k (3k more than my current job) suffice or should there be a higher difference to compensate for the higher costs of living there...

By the way I'm living in a two room apartment right now as well and I pay 630€ per month.

17 minutes ago, engelchen said:

I think you should try and negotiate a better salary. Assuming that you are in a MINT field, 42k € is what a recent grad without post degree experience could expect to earn in the area. 

Yes its in the GIS field and I have about 2 years of post postgraduate degree experience. The job requirements actually state only a graduate degree and some experience. But for me the salary is still higher (although cost of living there is higher...so in the end its the same salary). But the most important thing is that the contract is permanent which I do not get in my current company. So its quite confusing for me to decide. This is why I really need to get an idea of what salary is good enough for that area. 

1 hour ago, salazartherin said:

Yes its in the GIS field and I have about 2 years of post postgraduate degree experience. The job requirements actually state only a graduate degree and some experience. But for me the salary is still higher (although cost of living there is higher...so in the end its the same salary). But the most important thing is that the contract is permanent which I do not get in my current company. So its quite confusing for me to decide. This is why I really need to get an idea of what salary is good enough for that area. 

I am not aware of GIS field and salaries with respect to years of experience in this field. Are you in SW development? What are your technical expertise and strengths? I agree with other poster that 42k € is what recent graduates would expect to get in this area. In my opinion you should be aiming for 50k (at least 48k) given your studies and experience. But since you mentioned you already agreed to their job offer, it is now almost impossible to negotiate.

Its only you who know whats better for your and in the end it will be your decision. However if you end up taking this job then try to switch again at least after a year and go for higher salary. Once you enter a company you loose the power to negotiate salary.

2 hours ago, salazartherin said:

This what I'm worried about the most. The current region where I live in is one of the most dense urban regions of Europe. There are many big cities next to each other (Essen, Bochum, Dortmund, Mülheim, Düsseldorf, Colone) and we benefit in a number of ways from this in terms of being able to search for jobs, part time jobs, cultural events, socializing, travel (4 airports in the region) and acess to huge choice of services. Quality of life for me is high anywhere in Germany since I come from a relatively poor country. So I would not diffrentiate much between regions of Germany. I might be living comfortably financially, but I dont know if my wife would like it there, if it would be too lonely there, too less to do...

From your description it will be very boring for you in Leonberg. Just my two cents!

13 minutes ago, dreamer15 said:

I am not aware of GIS field and salaries with respect to years of experience in this field. Are you in SW development? What are your technical expertise and strengths? I agree with other poster that 42k € is what recent graduates would expect to get in this area. In my opinion you should be aiming for 50k (at least 48k) given your studies and experience. But since you mentioned you already agreed to their job offer, it is now almost impossible to negotiate.

Its only you who know whats better for your and in the end it will be your decision. However if you end up taking this job then try to switch again at least after a year and go for higher salary. Once you enter a company you loose the power to negotiate salary.

From your description it will be very boring for you in Leonberg. Just my two cents!

13 minutes ago, dreamer15 said:

I haven't signed any contract or anything yet. During the telephone conversation I said them that 42k€ would be good and they seemed happy about my expectation haha. I still need to send them my details to process the application further. Maybe I can still negotiate the salary.
No GIS is not SW development. I would say its something less than that. SW people would have higher salaries than me. GIS is using a geographic information software (e.g. ArcGIS or QGIS) to perform spatial analysis and create maps for city planning purposes. I somehow feel comfortable with salaries above 40k in my field irrespective of my education or experience. But its not about what I feel. Its about that place. Is this salary going to be enough based on the costs there.

On 10.11.2017, 10:56:32, salazartherin said:

I will do look at the towns around Leonberg as well. Is there a common public transport ticket which works in this region?

Yes, there is VVS, have a look at the S-Bahn map here.