Driving license type BE requirements and procedures

12 posts in this topic

Hi there,

I live in Bremen, and I have a German driving license (Type B) since more than 2 years. I am considering now getting the BE one, i.e. to ba able to drive a car with a trailer behind. My questions are:

1- Do I need to do any theoretical or practical tests?

2- How many training hours does an absolute beginner normally need?

3- what is the average cost of the whole process?

Many thanks!

1 hour ago, Sir Percy B said:

What on earth do you want to tow?

In simple terms;

With your current category 'B' you are entitled to tow a trailer upto 750kg.

With category 'BE' this will allow you to tow a trailer over 750kg and upto 3500kg

See here for a full explanation or here for the English version

@Sir Percz B. What on earth could one possibly tow to his car!! not a building of course bro. However, the first link was helpful, thanks!  

I did this about this time last year.  In answer to your questions:

1:  Yes, there is a practical driving test, no theoretical test.

2:  6 hours minimum, it is up to the instructor to decide whether you need more.

3:  it cost me about 900 Euros in total, there are permits from the city required, plus the driving school fee, plus the examination fees, plus the fee for issuing the license (usually included in the driving school fee).

It makes sense if you need to pull a trailer on a regular basis that brings the combined gross vehicle weight (car plus trailer) over 3500 kgs. 

There is a good loophole you may not be aware of:  If the trailer weight plus payload weight does not weigh more than the car does AND the two together have a gross vehicle weight of less than 3500 kgs, you don't need a trailer license, even if the trailer exceeds 750 kgs.  I had a trailer rated for 1200 kgs, and pulled it with a car with a GVWR of 1300 kgs, two together makes 2500 kgs, no trailer license necessary. 

Important to check your Fahrzeugschein to see what your car is legally allowed to pull.

Also, see if you can borrow a car and a trailer and practice backing up with them in a parking lot before starting the school, it is the hardest part of driving with a trailer.  If you can get the hang of it, the instructor will likely hold to the minimum 6 hours course time.

Hope this helps!

36 minutes ago, kapokanadensis said:

Hope this helps!

kapokanadensis, it helped a lot, many thanks bro for taking the time to write your experiance :)

Yah that was a good explanation. I just looked at my car papers and I can tow 450 unbraked (not sure how you make a trailer brake...). Too bad I don't have a tow hitch :)

44 minutes ago, kaffeemitmilch said:

Yah that was a good explanation. I just looked at my car papers and I can tow 450 unbraked (not sure how you make a trailer brake...). Too bad I don't have a tow hitch :)

"Unbraked" means trailers not equpped with brakes. Normal heavier trailers (above ca. 750 kg) all have brakes. The brake is activated through the drawbar.

8 minutes ago, kaffeemitmilch said:

How is the drawbar activated? Electrical connections, no doubt?

As you slow down in your car, the trailer pushes against it.  There is a mechanism in the drawbar that is activated by this pushing action, which then applies the trailer brakes.  It's funny, it takes a split second before the trailer brakes kick in sometimes, so there is a bit of a grab when they do.  You get used to it, and only really notice it when the trailer is fully loaded. 

59 minutes ago, kaffeemitmilch said:

I was just wondering how it would be applied. How is the drawbar activated? Electrical connections, no doubt?